Best mixing headphones!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
Headphones are minimal phase, what phase distortion are you talking about
Reread what I wrote. I was referring to the phase distortion created by corrective EQ.
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
Reread what I wrote. I was referring to the phase distortion created by corrective EQ.
Do not need to reread, I am asking right about the phase distortion caused by EQ correction since most general EQs are minimal phase as well, so the phase is not distorted but corrected as well when the frequency response is being corrected by EQ. Just don't have to mess with linear phase EQs etc.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
I can speak to some of these. Not sure how they would improve with EQ correction but I mistrust the way phase distortion would enter the picture with correction.

The LCD 1 is very heavy and awkward and rolled off on top. I could never work with them long term, though they have their points.

The 880 is the most neutral of the more affordable Beyers. But all Beyers have a significant sharp peak around 9k. They are otherwise pretty neutral.

I prefer the 650 over the 600 because the 600 has a peak in the mid treble exactly where you don't want or need it. Subjectively, this compensates for the otherwise warm and soft nature of the Senns. If using the 650, your mixes may end up lean and bright, which may or may not be what you want.
thanks! so that reduced my list a bit..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
Do not need to reread, I am asking right about the phase distortion caused by EQ correction since most general EQs are minimal phase as well, so the phase is not distorted but corrected as well when the frequency response is being corrected by EQ. Just don't have to mess with linear phase EQs etc.
cool. thanks for the clarification.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➡️
I think these are a really underrated pair of headphones, eventually these will get the street cred they deserve - I have VSX coming too, but I'll keep my K371BT to write with.
Just got me a pair. They're great.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfro ➡️
Just got me a pair. They're great.
very underrated - I think people are too obsessed with big chunky Planar headphones to notice this humble but flat (compared to the competition) headphones.
(Update a year later)

Hi all,

I've tried a couple of new headphones over the last year, but stuck with the Audio Technica ATH-R70x and Westone W30 as my "daily drivers." Then... I saw a pair of the Sennheiser HD650 (Massdrop 6XX version) real cheap and bought them.

Well, after starting this whole journey looking for an alternative to the Sennheiser HD600s that I had used for years, I'm back "home" again with the 650s as my new/old favorites. I use them with the Sonarworks correction software and a slight bass band-boost in the region 40-120 Hz. I can wear them all day.

Compared to the Audio Technica ATH-R70x, the HD650s are just better (IMHO) - clearer soundstage and more articulated instruments, better ability to hear background instruments/voices distinctly, scale better from soft to loud listening levels, more linear reverb tails.

Looking for an explanation, I compared the measurements of the 2 cans, and noticed that the Sennheisers have really quite low distortion -- less than 0.2% over the all-important central decade of the audio spectrum (200-2000 Hz). The attached document show this comparison in the middle row of spectra.

The HD650 is also better-behaved in the upper-mid-range (2-5 kHz). Look as the bottom graphs in the attached PDF, which shows the response of the Sonarworks correction filters, and note that the curve for the HD650 describes a much simpler filter with fewer changes of direction and gentler slope (group-delay) compared to the ATH-R70x in the same region.

I've also updated the comparison spreadsheet and attached an update; while I still can't give the HD650 a perfect 10 for sound, after listening to the competition, it's tied with the ATH-R70x. After listening to them 1-on-1, I might even demote the ATH-R70x to an 8.5 for sound.

I should also note here that the 2 "winners" in my comparison are among the cheapest ones in the comparison.

I guess I've learned about my own preferences is that:

1. I value comfort a lot; several of the contenders sounded great but were just too heavy, loose or uncomfortable for me to use regularly.

2. Accuracy (spectral flatness and low distortion) across the mid-range trumps extension at either end of the spectrum.

3. I value the soundstage and spatial imaging more than I thought I did at the beginning.

4. Very low distortion leads to a cleaner sound (what a surprise).

5. After-market cables can sound better, even on cans that come with good cables; thick, stiff or noisy cables make a difference.

I'm still using the same DACs in the office/studio, listening about 50% each to the Antelope Orion Studio and (truly awesome) Chord Mojo. In the living room, after an extended side-by-side comparison, I traded my Mytek Brooklyn for a PS Audio Stellar GainCell DAC/pre-amp (cheaper and more flexible, though without a phono stage).

Happy listening!

stp in SB/CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk ➡️
So try the Drop versions then, much cheaper and same headphone.
What's a Drop version? Oh right. Well, I dunno if I can find Drop versions in Australia. And even if I can it looks like they're going to be half a Gorilla anyway. But thanks.

Please note: 1x Gorilla = $1000AD
📝 Reply