Quantcast
"Mix it like a record" - Charles Dye - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Mix it like a record" - Charles Dye
Old 2nd September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Mix It Like A Record" by Charles Dye

Mix It Like A record is finally released.

A comprehensive mixing course by our recurring guest moderator Charles Dye.

It's cool to see how others approach this vast subject and skill we call mixing.

And if I remember correctly, this idea was originated right here on Gearslutz when he first appeared as a modeator. Many of us asked him for this. Great to see him make it happen.

Here was the seed for the idea here at Gearslutz from nikki-k with a reply from Charles.

I wish you much success with this Charles.

Shane
Old 4th September 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 4th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Seems like if they had a price of like 29.95 they would sell thousands and thousands immediately but to charge as much as they are it will keep it from really taking off . I wish them a lot of luck I am sure they put a lot of work into it .
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If it is what it claims, I would consider this a massive knowledge transfer, hence a steal.... Best of Luck with it!

I wish some of those chaps would do the same for Nuendo sound2film....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recieved mine last week (I pre ordered it). I have to say it's pretty good, the only drawback is that Charles is using every plug-in ever created so it's hard to duplicate what he's doing (even though you could download the eval versions)... but I picked up some good tips.

I would have loved to have seen this as a two part DVD. DVD1 would show them tracking the session and DVD2 would be mixing it.

It contains the actual PT TDM session which is very cool, and it includes bounced down stems if you are using PT LE which reduces the track count.

On the downside the actual video production reminds me of someone that just discoved a video camera's digital effects, it's a tad annoying at times.

Rob
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe
Seems like if they had a price of like 29.95 they would sell thousands and thousands immediately but to charge as much as they are it will keep it from really taking off . I wish them a lot of luck I am sure they put a lot of work into it .
As laughingbear suggested, if Charles is giving away the good stuff, then even $150 smackers is cheap.
Old 5th September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
looks awesome. I´m sure it´s got loads of great tricks. Charles is one of the only guys that openly shares what he has learned all these years.
Old 5th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm sold!

I've been waiting a long time for this to come out. Now, if only Mike Shippley could do something similar, showing how to transfer all these 80's mix techniques to his brand new Icon desk...

It is great that guys of this calliber are very secure and not afraid of sharing their knowledge.

Vermeer
Old 7th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just got mine today.

Great and very informative and specific.

You may not want to mix exactly as Charles does (I know I don't) but now you know how.

And you can always pick up something that you didn't think of. I know I did.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Started watching mine today. I had to close my eyes during the intro portion because I was getting nauseous (but that's OK, there's absolutely no useful visual content in the intro.) The little of the technical part I started to watch was better.

It's just a little ironic that the sound is a little funky. It looks like they put up a room mic for the voiceover rather than using a lav or a boom operator, so the sound changes as Charles turns his head and moves about the room.

All will be forgiven after I work through the technical stuff...
Old 7th September 2005
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I look forward!!

I look forward to getting that Ricky Martin sound!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does anybody know if it´s something similar out there but aimed at recording?
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Just ordered my copy too. Cool, now I have something to watch during my downtime at my office job!

shhhh!!! Don't tell anyone.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
Does anybody know if it´s something similar out there but aimed at recording?

This may help. It is a banner ad on Gear Slutz.

Also our very own moderator Michael Wagner has a very highly rated Production Workshop.

More info.

I cant wait for this to be finished!!

Shane
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
what has he mixed latley ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe
what has he mixed latley ?

Ask him over here. He is a Gearslutz moderator. He always responds.

Shane
Old 13th September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I watched Mix it like a Record in one go and I think it’s a great tutorial on ITB mixing using Pro Tools.

I learned a lot from it and was especially surprised by the drastic EQ that was employed on the guitars. If you’ve read his old column “Hard Disk Life” in DigiZine you will get a good idea what to expect. http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/a...xing/index.cfm

The most in-depth DVD on mixing so far, if not the most expensive. For basic recording & mixing using Pro Tools, check out the cheaper DVD “Secret of the Pros” http://www.secretsofthepros.com/products.html

Martijn.
Old 15th September 2005 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
looks awesome. I´m sure it´s got loads of great tricks. Charles is one of the only guys that openly shares what he has learned all these years.
I met Charles last year and I gotta say...I'm 34 and I took him to be roughly my age...how many years are we talking here? Am I old or what....? Haha

War

Best of luck to Charles, very smart dude.
Old 16th September 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Shan, have you got your copy yet? I'm still waiting and I did the pre-order last December. Emailed today to find out when to expect mine and got a real quick response less than 20 min. later. They Rock!! All pre-orders were shipped out 8/30/05 via USPS, so I hope to see mine early next week. Anyone else up here in Canada got their copy yet? I'm looking forward to this.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman
Shan, have you got your copy yet? I'm still waiting and I did the pre-order last December. Emailed today to find out when to expect mine and got a real quick response less than 20 min. later. They Rock!! All pre-orders were shipped out 8/30/05 via USPS, so I hope to see mine early next week. Anyone else up here in Canada got their copy yet? I'm looking forward to this.
Hey bro, I havent even ordered it yet. Probably next week. I still have to get some of those HDL sessions from you. heh

I'm sure you can track your order thru UPS.

Shane
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
To those of you who have watched this DVD: what style of music is he mixing? Does he take one song from start to finish or several songs? Genre? If it's a Ricky Martin type song, I don't think I could watch it!
Old 17th September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicears
To those of you who have watched this DVD: what style of music is he mixing? Does he take one song from start to finish or several songs? Genre? If it's a Ricky Martin type song, I don't think I could watch it!
Rock heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan
Rock heh
cool, thanks--I might have to check it out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I haven't seen all of it yet, but it seems to be one song for the whole thing, and it's a sort of mellow alternative pop song by some group called "L" or something.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, it's one song from the band El (http://www.elband.com/). I really liked that catchy chorus!
Old 20th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Milar good if you don't have Protools?

Hi

I don't have Protools - I use SAW and have used Cubase and Nuendo in the past.

Will the DVD still be useful? Is there a free Protools version I can view the DVD sessions on (for Windows XP professional)?

Thanks!

Shaun
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No. Pro Tools FREE for Windows will only run on Windows 98 or Windows Me operating systems. It will not even install on other systems.

I haven't used the actual Pro Tools sessions and although a lot of examples and plugins were Pro Tools based, I still learnt a lot from just watching the video-section.

Setting up different busses with certain fx, what kind of plugins to use, how to eq certain instruments to fit a busy arrangement, how to automate different tracks to keep the listeners attention - good stuff!

Like I said, If you read his old column “Hard Disk Life” in DigiZine you will get a good idea what to expect. http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/...ixing/index.cfm

Hope this helps.

Martijn.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Shaun,

> I don't have Protools ... Will the DVD still be useful? <

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but when I spoke with Charles on the phone the other day he assured me it is useful for folks using any DAW, not just ProTools. (I use Sonar.)

--Ethan
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You'll get more out of it if you do use Pro Tools, and even more still if you have some or all of the plug-ins he's using, but yeah, it is still very useful to anyone mixing ITB. It's like reading the Mixing Engineer's Handbook, but the ITB version, and the perspective of one engineer mixing one song, and in video format (so you can see and hear some of it). Oh, and another thing you're going to miss out on if you don't have PT is that he includes the session files, so you can experiment with it and see exactly what he's doing on your own time.
Old 29th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Earlier I wrote:

> My copy hasn't arrived yet ... <

Well, it arrived yesterday and I was totally blown away. Once I hit Play I couldn't stop until it was over 3+ hours later. Charles shows everything he did to create a killer mix on a great tune, and he leaves nothing out. I was truly inspired watching Charles hone each track to perfection using plug-ins (a lot of plug-ins!) plus more send/return busses than you'd ever imagine someone could use on a single song. Equally amazing is how well Charles understands the DVD's target audience. There's plenty of great advice for relative beginners, though it's assumed you know the basics. But I learned an awful lot, and I've been doing this stuff for more than 30 years. Although Charles uses ProTools for the demos, all of the content is relevant for people using any DAW program.

If you watch this DVD even once, I guarantee the next mix you make will be better than your last mix. Highly recommended.

--Ethan
📝 Reply