The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the API VP26 right for me?
Old 2nd December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Preamp Gain

Hey guys. My VP26 input gain seems to breakup at about the 12 o'clock position when I do a normal speaking voice test. Does this seem normal for these pres? I see a lot of posts where people talk about "slamming the input" to bring out harmonics, but anything after the 12 o'clock position seems to begin to distort like a fuzz pedal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Steeze ➡️
Hey guys. My VP26 input gain seems to breakup at about the 12 o'clock position when I do a normal speaking voice test. Does this seem normal for these pres? I see a lot of posts where people talk about "slamming the input" to bring out harmonics, but anything after the 12 o'clock position seems to begin to distort like a fuzz pedal.
This is not right. Is this a fresh build? If so who built it? What opamp is in it and who built that?

The best place for build support is the proper thread over at groupdiy.com.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I built it a while ago but was out of the country for several months and finally just had a chance to test it out. It has a red dot that came pre-built. I'll head over to the groupdiy and see what they say. thanks!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Figured it out. My signal was going through an 1176 that had too much output. Tamed the compressor and all is well. Thanks.
Old 6th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Opamps in VP312's

Hi there, old thread I know but interesting one none the less Ok, so I have 3 slots left in my second Purple Sweet Ten tracking rack. I want to have 16-17 pre's for tracking live in the studio (which is what I do most of the times, genre is rock/stoner/metal/prog, etc...) I have 3x AML ez1073's, 6x VP28's (4x gar2520/1731 & 2x Red Dots) 2x FD312 Heider's & 2x AEA RPQ500's (sold one of my two pairs) I enjoyed building the VP28's a lot and think I've decided to get a pair of VP312's to use on drum overheads. Looking for an open sound which captures transients in a fast and precise way. Which opamps do you guys suggest for that purpose and knowing the pre's/opamps I already have? I would have one slot left after the VP312's so might be interested in the VP312DI as well. Which Hi Z plug-in should I get for tracking rock/metal bass guitar? Thanks! Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Is the API VP26 right for me?-img_2611.jpg  
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nice rack!!

Lately in my 312 I am happy to use GAR2520, current API 2520, and LTL Rogue Five ($19) with pretty much equal like and success. They are all good.

Sorry I can't advise on Hi-Z plugins, never tried them.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I tried the FET and IC Hi-Z modules and liked the IC best.
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Head

Do ya'll think the VP25 would be good all around mic pre for home recording overdubs? Guitars, Percussion, and vocals? A pair with red dots is on the L.A. craigslist right now and I really need a good mic pre or two. Also looking at the VP26 and 28.
Old 27th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just purchased two Capi VP 26 preamps on eBay. I didn’t realize one was stepped gain and the other was variable (wasn’t mentioned).
Would it be hard to convert the variable to stepped? Also phantom power isn’t working on one of the units. I’m debating on returning them.
I only paid 500 for the pair which is cost, so can’t Deside If Inshould just fix and modify them or return and buy prebuilts for 200 more.
I’m not super good at soldering so Inwould likely have to outsource the work.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarplayntaylor ➡️
Do ya'll think the VP25 would be good all around mic pre for home recording overdubs? Guitars, Percussion, and vocals? A pair with red dots is on the L.A. craigslist right now and I really need a good mic pre or two. Also looking at the VP26 and 28.
My VP mic pres (312 in my case) have been my "do everything" pair for many years now. You can change the flavor with op amp swaps. They are the most versatile mic pres I have ever owned. I just love the sound, that's about it really.

I'm sure the VP25 would suit that purpose very well, although I have never heard one in person. The only way to know would be to try. Everyone has different ears and preferences.

There are so many tiny variations on the "API Pre" theme that it's really hard to pin down specific units for specific purposes. At some point you need to either build or buy a few and pick your favorite.

I can say that I do like the bigger 2503 output transformer that comes in the VP25 (and VP312) that for me is a "fact."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
My VP mic pres (312 in my case) have been my "do everything" pair for many years now. You can change the flavor with op amp swaps. They are the most versatile mic pres I have ever owned. I just love the sound, that's about it really.

I'm sure the VP25 would suit that purpose very well, although I have never heard one in person. The only way to know would be to try. Everyone has different ears and preferences.

There are so many tiny variations on the "API Pre" theme that it's really hard to pin down specific units for specific purposes. At some point you need to either build or buy a few and pick your favorite.

I can say that I do like the bigger 2503 output transformer that comes in the VP25 (and VP312) that for me is a "fact."
Ditto. The VP312 are terrific all-round pres, IMO. From what I understand, the VP25 is like a midway point between the VP26 and VP312. That's why I never bothered building any since I already have VP312s and VP26s. But, if you're looking for something with a little of both, it might be a good choice.

@ bleep : if you can get your money back, you should reinvest the money and try a build yourself. If you go slow the first time, you'll have great results and you'll gain a new skill. Highly recommended!
Old 5th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Im a bit tired of the Neve thing. Which op amp combo would be the best for vocal on the VP26?
Old 5th November 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I like the GAR AM10 (Quad Eight style) for lead vocals a lot in my 312.

For most other sources I prefer the CAPI CA-0252.
Old 5th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Is that because it's smoother or more rounded? I was actually debating VP26, 28 or 312. Not sure but I assumed the 312 was probably a bit spiky for vocal....
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebjam ➡️
Is that because it's smoother or more rounded? I was actually debating VP26, 28 or 312. Not sure but I assumed the 312 was probably a bit spiky for vocal....
I like the 312 better than the 26 for almost anything, for my taste, just because it seems to have a flatter response. Yeah, it will be a little brighter up top. The VP26 has this sort of curve to the sound, it's a little shaped. I never totally got absorbed in them.

I haven't tried the VP28 yet and that seems to be the common favorite on most forum posts. I'd like to. I have been relying on these 312s for many years now, they will do anything.

Yeah, for vocals the AM10 is slightly more smooth and rounded than a 2520, it's got a little more girth in the lows, and a bit less of the mid push. It's got a little softer touch. It can be a bit different and not much better or worse for some sources, when you're expecting 2520. But for vocals it's pretty ideal. In my brief shootouts anyway. It's what I've been using for a few months now and the tracks are coming out great. So I've lived with that sound for a while.
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got a pair of vp26’s and a 312 prefer the vp26’s.
Old 7th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hey Monkeyxx, I also had a Cinemag transformer laying around. What sort of diff does it make?
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebjam ➡️
Hey Monkeyxx, I also had a Cinemag transformer laying around. What sort of diff does it make?
CAPI is using a new input tranformer now, that I haven't heard.

Compared to the old one, the CMMI-8PCA is a little more neutral, a little more hi fi in some way. I just really like the Cinemag sound, to put it simply. They are sort of bright and pretty sounding in a way, in the API preamp. The CMMI-10PCA is supposed to be pretty similar but I haven't tried that one. The CMMI-8PCA is what SCA was using in their A12. The 10PCA was used in some of the Tonelux stuff I believe, but I'm not sure. It has slightly more turns on the primary winding.
📝 Reply