The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ric Ocasek in New Issue of Future Music (US)
Old 2nd December 2005
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Ric Ocasek in New Issue of Future Music (US)

If you're a Cars fan or dig Ric Ocasek's production of bands like Weezer, it's really cool that he finally talk about producing in the new edition of Future Music (the US edition).

Ocasek is like a hero of mine, from a songwriting point of view, and putting together the sound of the Cars. I think this is the first interview I read where he gets more technical than usual.

Here are a few of the things I picked up:

1) He syncs together four digital 8-track machines because legendary producer Roy Thomas Baker was a stickler for Tascam tape machines. Ocasek does no hard disk or Pro Tools recording, which is a rarity!

2) For the first Cars album, Baker would have three people singing a part in unison, making them do it over and over again. The band thought it was because they didn't get it right on the first take, but Baker was just layering the vocals.

3) From Baker, he learned "if you want to hear something, you push it all the way up. There weren't any subtle moves with Roy. If you couldn't har the toms, he'd just jack'em to the top. I think you have to exaggerate whatever you want to pop out in the mix."

4) "Recording and mixing guitars is much more about cutting frequencies away rather than adding EQ boosts. I like to get rid of anything that hurts your ears, but I still like the guitars to be powerful. I do try to cut 3 kHz away a lot because I want the vocal to be able to fit in. Whatever I cut away from the guitars, I just put on the vocal to get it to stick out more."

Drew
Old 3rd December 2005
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
different strokes I guess.. I almost always boost 3k on guitars.
Old 3rd December 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
My neighbor

Yeah,
He's a very talented guy.
I love his work.

Funny enough I usually see Ric and Paulina a few times a month...he's got a house about a mile from my place in upstate NY.
Although I've talked with him quite a few times, haven't got him to stop in the studio
as yet.
But I'm gonna keep trying.

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The Cars were one of thee greatest pop bands of all time IMO. Hooks for days in every song.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I love the Cars.

They wrote so many songs I loved as a kid and they're just as good when I listen today.

Nothing amazing just great songs.
Lowdbrent
A new version of the Cars minus Rick and a deceased member are recording. Check out Melodicrock.com for details.

I do know that Hanson had selected Rick to produce a good rock record, to break them out of the boy band mold. The record company ditched the tracks, and Rick, because they were too rock and roll. Sounds like they might have had a good record if people that "know what they are doing" hadn't saved the day.
๐Ÿ“ Reply