Quantcast
Pro Tools HD Native? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools HD Native?
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools HD Native?

Is this really true? I've heard a lot of people talking about this and would have to say as a Nuendo user would make me seriously look at it if it did
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes its true, should be out this summer, all I know is there is a 3 space rack unit which substitutes the pci cards. I was given the info by a reliable source who was close to the project. I hope that they still have some type of a card system though, becuase they have always had an upgrade path, I have an HD6 and I would be screwed if this was it!
Old 5th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamk ➑️
Yes its true, should be out this summer, all I know is there is a 3 space rack unit which substitutes the pci cards. I was given the info by a reliable source who was close to the project. I hope that they still have some type of a card system though, becuase they have always had an upgrade path, I have an HD6 and I would be screwed if this was it!
Wow anyone else. Is there an official press release from Pro Tools
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This is just sinking in This will be Huge! surely Steinberg are shaking in their boots
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
there is a 3 space rack unit which substitutes the pci cards
Doesn't sound that native . . .
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheRed ➑️
Doesn't sound that native . . .
Yeah? Why the external unit then?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds like it could be true but who knows. the 3rack thingy sounds like a smart idea- especially if it can be a portable solution on mac/pc desktop/laptop and not be a slave to pci/pci-e and whatever is next.

we'll see.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i need to know more!!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So what are the chances of me not having to use their interfaces that I hate so much on a Native Platform?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Press release:

http://www.digidesign.com/en-uk/Pro_Tools_HD-Native.php

Credit goes to terminal3 who alerted me.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
HAHA!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown ➑️
Press release:

does the Rick Roll still count if my browser couldn't load up the video? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msilver84 ➑️
Yeah? Why the external unit then?
A proprietary audio interface, presumably.

So native processing, but still locked into Digi hardware. Sounds like the worst of both worlds to me.
Lives for gear

how would that be different from LE then? Why would they do that? This sounds made up and completely wrong to me. I don't know who told you this.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheRed ➑️
A proprietary audio interface, presumably.

So native processing, but still locked into Digi hardware. Sounds like the worst of both worlds to me.
would they really need to build it in 3 rack spaces to do that?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The only other thing I know is that the rack unit is a converter, some type of dsp. LE is going to be merged into m-power, but I have no idea about tdm...I am praying that it morphs into something awesome.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I mean we are talking about Avid here the king of assholes in the proprietary game
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Re: Pro Tools HD Native?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand
HAHA!!!
Trop beau pour Γͺtre vrai!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msilver84 ➑️
I mean we are talking about Avid here the king of assholes in the proprietary game
Not true.

M-Audio stuff is still open.

Axiom is open....

Euphonix is still going to be open...

etc etc etc
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are we REALLY going to do this AGAIN?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown ➑️
Press release:

Damn it to hell.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 ➑️
Are we REALLY going to do this AGAIN?
Over and over again until Avid actually do SOMETHING.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This seems apropos:
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory ➑️
Damn it to hell.
YouTube - I got you good you ****er hehhehhehheh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ok, but avid opened M-audio because they bought them and made pro tools only work with m-audio interfaces. That's not proprietary? I'm just saying even with the non linear editing systems avid is has always been about propriety control. Not trying to start a pissing war. I think its smart of them to do that, but its what they do.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Why would they need a 3 rack thing anyway. Native is native inside the box running software. I hate to say this being a Nuendo user but if Pro Tools made a Native version of their HD software with no need for any digi hardware and could run ASIO drivers for anything you like from Focusrite pro 24 boxes - RME stuff it would blow Nuendo out of the game.

I'm saying this not because I think Pro Tools is better far from it but alot of Nuendo users (Myself included went Native) because it was cheaper than a massive HD rig. It was a hard decision to not go with the industry standard and Pro Tools LE was just not an option if you wanted to be seen as professional. I choose Nuendo because

1. Budget
2. thought the features were as good as Pro Tools HD
3. Being Native I could choose my own hardware

However with the recent power of Pro Tools, speed of computers, Euphonix, Industry Standard. If Pro Tools HD has a truly native option (software only) then I'd be an idiot not to consider it don't you think
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The only other thing I know is that the rack unit is a converter, some type of dsp. LE is going to be merged into m-power, but I have no idea about tdm...I am praying that it morphs into something awesome.
So their top of the line system (currently known as HD) would require you to use their converters....

thats a deal breaker for me, no way. even if their new converters are the best on the market (which would be a far cry from the ones the make now) I wouldn't go for it.

I know this is all speculation and we won't know anything for sure for while now but if this is the case, they must have something going on to make their converters more desirable...

I bet their going 32 bit
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Digidesign/ Avid are like the mafia of the music industry.

Kings of "Scam Culture" Β©
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
nooo, i was really hoping for this not to be the case. so it's not a lot of change other than saving a little cash maybe and leaving dsp behind and i'm sure they will find some way to tie that in. i don't want to use digi hardware converters/hardware period most of us have what we want already and don't want to buy new cards to support our converters like x-hd and so on.

I was hoping for a logic type deal where it would be software native with any choice of hardware or at least just some type of card for a fair price with software that allowed to use any interface and hardware. so i don't understand how this is truely native really. it sounds like they are still up to the old tricks. once again complete fail imo. 3 racks seriously ? i want to use my apogee converter, lunchbox with hd like software like i use with logic 9 and if i have to buy some optimized card with it to better the system for $700 that has connections that's fine but seriously this sounds like the same old bs.

what if all the other daws said you can only use our software with 3,000-5,000 worth of hardware you don't really need and then you have to buy even more stuff to maybe use your own converters...that blows! i don't want any more cards, expenisve hardware that is not needed or any of that. just give me the software or software and some type of cheap packged dongle card if you must and let me use my stuff and call it a day. even hd users who may want to switch would probably hate this.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If this is true then I give up.

I will stick with lovely metric halo boxes and any other daw.
πŸ“ Reply