Furman Headphone system - what cans? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Furman Headphone system - what cans?
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Furman Headphone system - what cans?

Hi all you slutz and semislutz -
In my home studio, I am running the Furman HDS-6 system with 6 remote units (HR-6 I think ) I LOVE the flexibility, I am feeding it with aux sends from a Mackie D8b. The headphones I am using are AKG 240, and I think they might be my problem. I can't seem to get enough signal to the players without really overdriving the amp - my instincts tell me that I should use lower-impedance headphones, or at least closed-ear, but then again there may be a problem with the output stage of the furman unit. Does anyone else here have experience with this system, and what cans would you recommend?

Peace,Love and chocolate,
Old 11th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
I would look at a few pairs of 7506's if you have some money, or some of those $20 headphones that Harvey Gerst is selling; he mentioned them on a thread here a while back.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I remember seeing a list of popular headphone's impedances, and the 240's were about 10 times the impedance of some of the more efficient models. So not only do you need the mother of all headphone preamps, but, as you say, they are semi-open - so they are not great for tracking in many situations.

I've been using Sony 7506's myself (with one 7509 for the bass player), but I had a chance to check out the Sennheiser 280's recently, and they seem like another great option - a little less hi-mid peakiness than the Sony, extremely comfortable and equal "loudness". The other thing that is annoying about the Sony's is that the fabric covering the foam around the ear cups always eventually seperates from edge, leaving visible yellow foam. Still useable, but ugly. Looks like the Sennheisers wouldn't have that design flaw.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i have no problem with K-141's or K-55's (w/the Furman) i also have a couple More Me's and other cheapos. there are actually quite a few under $40 headphones (like the K-55's) to be had out there now...some are actually pretty passable. i'd check the usual internet stores for specials...

true, though, that it's handy to have at least one pair around that has tons of bass...Senn. HD265's for me...
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well thanks guys - I've got nothing to lose by trying Harvey's "More Me's" - And I will probably test the 7506s when I get a chance
These Forums rock!!!
Old 12th June 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Check out the ATH M40 & D40 headphones. About $80 a shot and the only crappy thing is the 1/4" plug.
Old 12th June 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
the AT's are the ones i use with my furman system and they get plenty loud.
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks again all -
I went with the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros - but it was almost a toss up. Chose them for comfort and easy repairability. Hopefully I will decide to participate some more in here instead of lurking as is my habit. Best forum by far for me!
Old 14th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
7506's. I tried a couple of AT headphones next to my sonys and the midrange sounded really odd and unfocused. not sure what model, I am guessing not the ones Alpha and Jay mentioned.

The great thing about the Sonys is that pretty much everyone on the planet knows them and what to expect from them.
Old 14th June 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I don't like the Sony's for two reasons. They're way too bright and fatiguing. Also, the coil cord sucks. The AT M & D40's are the most expensive headphones they make. I've tried a few other models and didn't like them as much. One of the cheaper sets kept breaking, but I've had really good luck with them. A few sets are going on almost 5 years of use and abuse.
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
The AT M & D40's are the most expensive headphones they make. I've tried a few other models and didn't like them as much. One of the cheaper sets kept breaking, but I've had really good luck with them. A few sets are going on almost 5 years of use and abuse.
I will def have to check these out...
πŸ“ Reply