Quantcast
Need a compressor for bass. DBX 160 now or Distressor later? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a compressor for bass. DBX 160 now or Distressor later?
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Need a compressor for bass. DBX 160 now or Distressor later?

I have to get a compressor real soon, primarily to record bass.

What will a dbx 160xt do to the bass and should I get one now or save up for a Distressor?
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Those are both my 2 main bass compressors. The Distressor needs the bass treatment here about 9 times out of 10. If money is tight, I'd get the 160XT now and save up for a Distressor. Once you get the EL8, the 160XT can be used in many other places (specifically drums...) I almost always use the 160xt in "over easy" mode.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto was E-Que says... but i prefer the 160X over distressor in most cases (its really underated) and keep the distressor for snares!!!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 160x (or xt) is a great unit to have for bass and a few other things as well. For the short money I'd start with the dbx. If you've got the cash, the Distressor's a lot more versatile. That being said... If I had to pick only one and it was only for bass, I'd probably stick with the 160x.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's the difference between the 160x and the 160a?
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by StuartMac
Try Here

I prefer the flexibilty of the distressor. If the 160XT's gave me attack and release controls, it'd be on like donkey kong for bass. The EL-8 with Dist 2 on into a blueface pultec is just...so...gargantuan and fleshy... My 160xt's are staples on my kick and snare because they are just so gotdamn taut, but I'd have no problem using a 160xt if I didn't have access to a distressor.
Old 11th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anybody? I've gota pair of 160 A's that I don't use much; I guess I haven't found a use where they really shine (Unless, of course, they aren't the same sound as 160XT's).
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I got my sole 160a for $75! Wouldn't mind some more at that price!!
Old 11th June 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Re: Need a compressor for bass. DBX 160 now or Distressor later?

Quote:
Originally posted by fross
What will a dbx 160xt do to the bass
A 160xt? It'll make a bass sound small and ****ty... if that's the sound you're going for, then that's the box to make it happen!!

If you're going for more of a 'full, rich' kind of bass thing the Purple Audio MC-77 is the best tool I've ever encountered for the intrument... but as alaways... YMMV.
Old 11th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Need a compressor for bass. DBX 160 now or Distressor later?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

If you're going for more of a 'full, rich' kind of bass thing the Purple Audio MC-77 is the best tool I've ever encountered for the intrument... but as alaways... YMMV.
Is it a different sound than the MC76? I know that there were some changes made, but I don't know what they were.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Quote:
A 160xt? It'll make a bass sound small and ****ty... if that's the sound you're going for, then that's the box to make it happen!!

lmao...your replies are the best...

i have a rnc and i get some decent results in giving the bass more omph with it..better then plug-ins thats for sure
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Does Mercenary Audio sell 160xt?

Quote:
Does Mercenary Audio sell MC-77's?
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

The 160XT has balanced XLR I/O and unbalanced 1/4" I/O.
The 160A has a newer VCA a few other componets that were becomming obsolete or too expensive. The 160A has a faster more hi-fi sound that the X or XT to me. I much prefer the dbx 160S or even better the 160SL which can do both the 160VU and 165 thing about 90% there, yet has it's own sound and includes a real useable limiter with two types to choose from.
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
You might consider an "Urei LA-4" for bass or whatever. I really dig this one and you can find them on eBay for about $500. Then get the Distressor.

Mark
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The 160XT has balanced XLR I/O and unbalanced 1/4" I/O.
The "x" uses balanced 1/4" trs and barrier strips. Of the non "VU" 160's (x, xt, a) I very much prefer the x or the xt. The "a", to me, just doesn't have the same attitude. The "mileage" thing allways plays a major role with this stuff but here's something to consider. The fact the x or the xt can be had for $200 (the a's a little more) it's worth checking out. If you like what it does then you're ahead of the game by quite a nice chunk of change considering the cost of some of the other suggestions. If not , you can easily get back the $ you paid for it and move on... just a thought.
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Need a compressor for bass. DBX 160 now or Distressor later?

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Does Mercenary Audio sell 160xt?

Does Mercenary Audio sell MC-77's?
In my limited experience, Mercenary Audio sells exactly what they want to sell and nothing else, which is why they'll stand behind any of their products 110%. If they don't carry something, it's usually for a good reason.. I have no affiliation with either DBX or Purple Audio, but i'll tell ya i'd take an MC77 on my bass tracks ANY DAY over a DBX 160A or 160XT.... 160VU might be a different story...
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recently bought a dbx 160X for $100, and I feel like I got my $$$ worth.

I want another one, that's how much I like it.

What do I like to use it for?

¥electric guitar
¥sampling drum machine
¥bass
¥male hiphop vocals
¥baritone male vocals
¥electric piano

Think of it as "high-end ghetto" ...not quite "vintage audio" but close enough for rock & roll. Used with good mics, strong source audio, pres etc...it has a lot of soul.
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I stayed away from the 160X-etc for a long time because on some forums DBX was talked about like it wasn't any good. Not botiquie enough I guess. So anyways, I finally bought one just to have an extra comp around. I was really surprised how great it sounded (first experience was with snare). I've since used it on bass, Kick, and e. guitar with great results. I've since bought 2 more (for under 200 you just can't beat them. Try the infinity ratio with about 3 db reduction on bass, sounds awasome. (not my idea, got it from "mixing Engineer's Handbood", Bobby Owsinski.
Old 15th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
Used with good mics, strong source audio, pres etc...it has a lot of soul.
Perhaps the 160X can 'have a lot of soul', but have you found situationss where it actually improves the signal, rather than simply not hurting it?
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Perhaps the 160X can 'have a lot of soul', but have you found situationss where it actually improves the signal, rather than simply not hurting it?
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is that a trick question?
No, I would really like to find a use for my 160A's, besides acting as spacers between the Manleys and the Trakkers. I haven't yet found a use where the 160A sounds better than nothing at all. (I've used it anyway where I needed the gain control and would accept the loss of signal quality.) But I'm still looking, though; that's why I asked.
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
posted by Dave Martin:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that a trick question?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I would really like to find a use for my 160A's
Dave,

I'm sorry I can't help you with that one. I don't own any 160A's; I was discussing the 160X (which I do own).

They are two different machines; we discussed this with Tom Cram and GM on GM's MP forum. The finer technical points I'm a little fuzzy on, but it's got to do with the VCA design on the X model, a design which was not continued in subsequent 160 models.
📝 Reply