Quantcast
EQ Mag: Using two mic's on a cabinet. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ Mag: Using two mic's on a cabinet.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EQ Mag: Using two mic's on a cabinet.

I want to try two mic's on a guitar cabinet. (like shown in the current EQ mag) I have the same mic's. (at4047 & sm57)

What would suggest for placement - in relation to the cone? (I can't tell from the pic)

?
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: EQ Mag: Using two mic's on a cabinet.

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
What would suggest for placement - in relation to the cone? (I can't tell from the pic)?
Get canns on and move the mic wile the talent is playing. Find the best soundig speaker and on that the best spot (distance, angle...matter). First mic sounds great? Then put white noise throu the amp, take the second mic and flip the phase of that one. Find a spot on the speaker were the most cancelation occur. Flip phase and there is the sound!
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Nutmeg:

That is a really cool idea and I wanna try it. Do you use a white noise generator or are you cranking the amp and using its inherent noise to find the cancelation point??

Matt
Old 10th June 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
The mics. could possibly change from the ones in the mag. Two 57s work. Without all that monkey business you can simply put one 57 infrontof the driver and one 2" to the left and 2" back and not listen to anything because it's a classic sound for a fender brown deluxe reverb and a telecaster. There are 1000000000000000000000000000 ways to record guitars through amps. I've seen absolutely ridiculous methods work quite well. Instead of searching for absolute in phaseness, maybe some thing a little out of phase might work too (Jimmy Page, Brian May). Everything is a filter. Don't get too uptight about this engineering stuff unless you're going to record classical or some other pure thing. Otherwise look to be creative, just because something worked for someone else doesn't mean it'll work for you. Or because you don't have a Brauner or a Manley doesn't mean you can't be as brauner or as manly as anyone else.
Go West young man.
There has been a lot of good advice on this topic here.
Old 10th June 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
my fav dual mic are the royer R121 and Crown CM700 on the cab. between the two i can get just about any tone i want.... although where i put the two can be anywhere.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good tips - I’m now feeling manly enuff to start experimenting. heh
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like using a 57 and 421 on the same speaker... start with the 57 about an inch from the center of the cone, as close or far from the grill as you desire, and the 421 the same distance from center on the other side. If the mics are the same distance from the center and same distance from grill but on either sides of the cone, they should phase very well and more or less of one mic can change the tone dramatically.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: EQ Mag: Using two mic's on a cabinet.

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
I want to try two mic's on a guitar cabinet. (like shown in the current EQ mag) I have the same mic's. (at4047 & sm57)

What would suggest for placement - in relation to the cone? (I can't tell from the pic)

?
Do you have a second 57? The front/back method (put an 57 on the front, on access, listen through headphones and move the mic,usually close to the speaker, around till it sounds pretty kick ass. Tweaking visually by looking at the speaker helps. Then, take a second 57, flip the phase on it, and place it equally behind the speaker and move it around till you get the maximum amount of phase cancellation. Flip the phase back to normal, and bam... Massive, tight cherry assed guitar) with a 122 inanimate carbon rod mic is my current set up, and I haven't found a need to switch it up since I got on it. The Royer's placement, angle, incline, slant, distance, etc is totally subjective and the biggest piece to the sound of this combo IMO. If I had your AT and 2 57's, I'd put the AT slightly off access, but try to get the phase relationship good between it and the 57's signal. (also see the IBP Thread here) I don't like my guitar tracks to sound mushy. Even if the guitarist wants mush, I'd rather get it from layer guitar parts a million times with one 'tight' guitar sound which helps preserve a tone I like.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using two mics rock. I've done it allot but I am working on a project now where I've done two and on some tunes even three. I'd have a bunch of amps out in the studio find the sound I want for that part. I will combine either Royer R-121, U195,421,57 and even an old AKG D1000. Some tunes the U99 as the third mic for room. Between blending the two mics on a cab and the U99 room I don't need as much eq. The U99 made it really sit in the track just added the right amount of air on it. Just make sure you change up different mics for each layer. Try not to double any gtr's with the same mic/pre setup.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by matt
Do you use a white noise generator or are you cranking the amp and using its inherent noise to find the cancelation point??
White noise from plugin, synth, console, what ever!
Old 11th June 2003
Founder

PT users can use "Signal Generator" plug in for this...

BTW sometimes I like to put a D112 or D12 in the handle area of a 4 x 12 (filter out MOST the bass and crank the HF.. (I use a focusrite 215 pre/eq) It's good for a Ramones style raunch when blended with close mikes and adds an attracive "giant, pissed off hornet" style mid. Ideal for that Les Paul Custom / Ram Jam "Black Betty" sound. (when you need it!)

Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
PT users can use "Signal Generator" plug in for this...

This is the 2nd reference to this plug-in today.

I've been a Pro Tools user for years, and I'm embarassed to say i don't know what this is. Where do you find it? Is it something you have to buy? I'm using vs. 5.3 - is it hidden in there somewhere?
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It’s hiding in your AudioSuite menu.
πŸ“ Reply