The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sebatron VMPx000e users
Old 25th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by adamcal
WTF, who said that.

Aussie Great River more like it (or something like that)
Some tech at D&D. Perhaps he was wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Seb gear was marketed as tube stuff, hardly something Great River is known for. They just aren't in high demand here for some reason so I haven't got my grubby hands all over it.
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I didnt mean they make the same type of equipment, I ment in terms of being a smaller manufacturer of very high quality stuff, unlike bear ringer, who is more like a mass producer of lower quality stuff.
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmmm...

Each to their own buit i can vouch it aint no mass produced ****. It does have a personal touch.. but **** its about what comes out of the box not was inside it!? Why not see for yourself?
YMMV.

Seb's gear is made by man not machine! ( gee now im turning into an advocate!)

I think AdamCal was relating the Sebatron to gear of that calibre not circuitry or topology.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 25th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I didnt mean they make the same type of equipment, I ment in terms of being a smaller manufacturer of very high quality stuff, unlike bear ringer, who is more like a mass producer of lower quality stuff.
My bad. I thought you were responding to my sonic comparisons question. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the gear sounds like before I waste time on a gear quest to try any of the units out myself.

By the way, after several weeks with an RNP I've come to the conclusion that it sucks. It's like a plastic sounding, cleaner version of a mackie mic pre. Even the speck pre (same ballpark $) beat it out in each comparision.
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
who invented the term "My Bad"

Is it just me or is this a gross preversion and dumbing down of the english language .

tutt
Old 25th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I just can't win with you can I?

Anyone else? Sonic comparisons?
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
not having a go at you personaly, unless you invented the term:-)

just struck me as odd seeing it in print. I've been hearing it for a few years.

heh
Old 25th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As I said because all the spam went out, now there are all these myths about the product.. It sort of worked negative marketing.
I have not read a thread anywhere about Sebatron stuff where someone does not attack the stuff. Although a lot of people have not heard it.
Its quiet sad, people should just try it and see for themselves..
If I did not have so many pres I would myself, although sorry(Kurt if reading) but reviews with it blows my API's away. I always take with a grain of salt..
Old 26th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
and the same guy that supposedly got the record deal, was accused of posting under 2 names and having a conversation with himslef about how great the sebatron unit was. he denied it, then when someone pointed out something about the ip adress being the same (or some computer clue giveaway), he then claimed that the other person he was discussing the sebatron unit with was his GIRLFRIEND, who happenned to use the same computer as him coz they lived together???!!!???. i dunno, but if i wanna have a conversation with my wife, i usually just talk to her, rather than post on an internet forum.
it's a shame isn't it. it does seem to have adversley affected sebatron's credability witt some folks. but regardlesss, fwiw, i have used the vmp4000e and found it to be a great pre (from my limited expereince). it has really helped improve the quality of my work.
i'm tracking a band this weekend, again with the seb pre. bummer is it's not mine, it's borrowed from a freind. if i had the dough, i'd get one myself.
Old 26th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
allegedly some friends of sebatron anonymously promoted sebatron products as a "friendly" gesture to try and get the company some much needed international exposure. this was way off the hook, most the posts were obviously fake with bogus infomercialesque claims - these posts were not associated directly with the manufacturers intent, as soon as sebatron found out who it was, it was put to a stop. as far as real users go, i have only heard good things about this pre. it is mighty foolish to blanky assume the products are crap just because of some scheming promoters. i figure this thread is an appropriate platform to mention that i'll soon have a dual channel sebatron in my grasp and any new york city folk considering maybe buying one are welcome to set up a trial session with me. rock.
Old 26th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
On its way

Despite all the crazy talk on the boards (recpit, anyone?), I decided to go ahead and order a VMP-4000e a while back. I just want cheap good preamps, is that so wrong?

He does offer the money back thing, so I figure it's worth it.

Been waiting for it for a while, but he (Sebatron) had some kind of accident that delayed stuff for a while, and was waiting for a shipment of tubes this week which has been a little more delay, but it's built and either shipped or shipping.
And he gave me a hell of a price, so I can't really complain.

Anyway, once it gets here, I'm gonna head down to Guitar Center's pro room/isobooth and run it up against every pre they've got, which granted isn't necessarily the cream o' the crop, nor ideal conditions, but it should yield a good idea of how things stack up.

The only thing I don't see getting is an accurate read of how it'll do on drums, but I'll do that on my own time.

We did the same sort of exercise a few months ago with quasi-affordable LD mics; the guy who runs that part of the shop is nice, patient, accomodating, and actually interested in how things sound, so we should be able to test stuff pretty extensively.

Anyone in Portland (OR) interested in being there/helping out (especially anyone with an RNP) lemme know.

If I'm feeling charitable, I'll post some stuff on the web so you golden-eared kids can issue forth your proclamations.

Of course, I may not meet the minimum post requirements to even talk about that stuff here. Also, I'll be giving away free Sebatron T-shirts and keychains. Just kidding.
Old 27th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
jeebus you mentioned on maybe posting some comparison samples so i thought this link would be of interest. while this test is not absolutely scientific it does give you a decent idea of how the seb pre ranks with other hi-end preamps ,,, well at least for acoustic guitar tracks....

http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/u...=000448#000001

cheers!
Old 1st July 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by fatty
and the same guy that supposedly got the record deal, was accused of posting under 2 names and having a conversation with himslef about how great the sebatron unit was. he denied it, then when someone pointed out something about the ip adress being the same (or some computer clue giveaway), he then claimed that the other person he was discussing the sebatron unit with was his GIRLFRIEND, who happenned to use the same computer as him coz they lived together???!!!???. i dunno, but if i wanna have a conversation with my wife, i usually just talk to her, rather than post on an internet forum.
it's a shame isn't it. it does seem to have adversley affected sebatron's credability witt some folks. but regardlesss, fwiw, i have used the vmp4000e and found it to be a great pre (from my limited expereince). it has really helped improve the quality of my work.
i'm tracking a band this weekend, again with the seb pre. bummer is it's not mine, it's borrowed from a freind. if i had the dough, i'd get one myself.
yeah this was the one I witnessed first hand at Harmony Central.

I agree - there are a few haters on HC now because of this crap. I'm just trying to sift through the crap and the hype and compare it to similarly priced pre's readily available in Oz.

cheers for your comments all.

Mouse
Old 1st July 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Here's a tune where everything (vocals, synths, etc...) was tracked through a VMP-4000e. This is not my personal work, but was given the "ok" to post the song so folks can have a glimpse of the pre-amp.

The group is "Landed", from Melbourne, AU.

Listen to "Lines"

FWIW, my 4000e came in today.

Bowisc
Old 1st July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Im putting my money where my mouth is(well typing fingers anyway) and have ordered a second one.

And even getting it custom numberd 5 to 8.

Old 1st July 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Bowisc,

how much are we paying for that piece plus shipping here in the US?
Old 1st July 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobalou
Bowisc,

how much are we paying for that piece plus shipping here in the US?

I believe they are going for $1595 for the 4-channel unit...

Bowisc
Old 2nd July 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I know nobody cares, but my vmp-4000e has shipped and should be in my sweaty little hands on Thursday. Woo!
Old 2nd July 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Im putting my money where my mouth is(well typing fingers anyway) and have ordered a second one.

And even getting it custom numberd 5 to 8.

Cool.
Mine came in today, but I have yet to try it out.

Bowisc
Old 4th July 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I got mine too. will probably give it a go this (long) weekend.

--Matt
Old 5th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey guys, post your impressions oka?
Nice weekend
πŸ“ Reply