Quantcast
Bass DI/preamp suggestion ?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass DI/preamp suggestion ??
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bass DI/preamp suggestion ??

Can you guys recommand a great bass DI and preamp for my studio. I already have Dakings and API coming soon. I would like to get a kick ass DI/pre for recording elactric bass.
I was thinking of the Avalon U5 !!!

Thanks
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The U5 is great!! I've got one and love it. I've also had really killer results with the Chandler LTD-1.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The biggest sound I've gotten on bass has been the A Designs MP1. It's a tube mic pre with a DI. Very, very nice. I think the street is $899 or maybe even lower.

You could get the MP2 and add a primo two channel tube preamp with DI to your rack for around $1,250.

Here's my review of the MP1: www.piemusic.com/mp/mp1.html

Here's the link: www.adesignsaudio.com

Steve, www.mojopie.com
Old 7th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
There are lots of options; Recently, I've been using a Great River NV into either a CL-1B or an old GE tube limiter. It's pretty damn big. My small setup - the one I carry out to other studios, is an Evil Twin DI and a Manley Vari-Mu.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep, Evil Twin into mono Vari-Mu and the other Evil twin output direct into recorder or sometimes into a LA2A.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A design's has a new tube DI unit called the REDDI which I helped develop (so, yeah, I guess I'm biased). The sound is MASSIVE. Up till this unit, the Demeter Tube Direct was my goto DI for bass and basically my main measuring point for the unit's development. If you are looking for a pre/di in one unit, the MP-2 (or MP-1) is another excellent choice. It's been on the front end of my vocal chain since I got it. Very, very clean sounding, which may or may not be what you are looking for. Personally I like being able to crank up a tube pre and not get the noise normally associated with it. It also reacts great with ribbon mics. The MP-2r is designed for ribbons with an extra 15 db or so of gain. Royer worked with A design's on it. I have the 122's so I don't find that I need the extra gain. Sidenote: the president of A Design's plays bass

The U5 into a Distressor is pretty kick ass, but am I the only person that always cranks the "tone" up all the way everytime? Also, this won't cover your mic pre needs. I guess you could get a 737, but the U5 sounds much better than the Hi-Z input into the 737.

The Great River NV beats out the 1073 and 1081 direct inputs out that I've tried. I found that the SSL 9000j board compressor and the DBX160xt worked best for me behind this unit (over the Distressor, Manley Elop, Manley Vari Mu, and 737). I got a tighter sound with the DBX, almost too tight.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
A design's has a new tube DI unit called the REDDI which I helped develop (so, yeah, I guess I'm biased). The sound is MASSIVE.
Oh man, I got to try it out.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyome checked out that new Millenia DI? I'm pretty sure it's mucho expensive...
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The new Summit 2BA-221 works pretty well. You can adjust how much tube sound you want. ItΒ΄s cheap also....
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also check out the Aguilar DB900. Just amazing. No frills. Just tone for miles.
Absolutely no lie there. I cry every time I hear mine. No really I do.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I tried half a dozen DI's last year and ended up with Aguilar DB900.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I normally track my bass parts through either an API 3124+ or the GT Vipre. Both sound good, but I actually prefer the sound of the API - at least for my Fender Jazz, which is my main bass.
πŸ“ Reply