Quantcast
preamp/channelstrip for elec gtr - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
preamp/channelstrip for elec gtr
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
preamp/channelstrip for elec gtr

I am looking to upgrade from (or possibly get something to compliment) my SPL Channel 1 channelstrip. 90% of the time I will be using it for recording electric (and also some acoustic) guitar through a MOTU 828.

I have thought about the UA 6167 or possibly something like a Really Nice Pre combined with a Distressor. Possiby an AMEK..?? And obviously I know I'll have to try these things out before buying, so I am just trying to get ball-parking here.

The guitar sounds I like could probably be described as 'meaty 70's sounds': woody, thick - not overly distorted but saturated and punchy. Amps: Fender, Marshall, Vox - so pretty standard stuff :-)

Any ideas will be welcome.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ultimate guitar amp preamp is the Great River NV into a Chandler TG Channel. If you really need compression on a guitar amp (I usually don't, but some extra coloration is always nice), an RNC will be fine for functional usage, I recommend a Distressor or Tube Tech CL1B if you want as much color as you could possibly handle.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks nathan,

I am not particularly looking for compression but was thinking along the lines of the 1176/Distressor-option to imprint some thickness and character on the whole DAW-vibe...
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by preben
thanks nathan,

I am not particularly looking for compression but was thinking along the lines of the 1176/Distressor-option to imprint some thickness and character on the whole DAW-vibe...
Or a FATSO...I think a 1 channel version would be brilliant for those who don't need dual mono. I'd rather have a fat EQ than a compressor for guitars though.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I find the Joe Meek units to be quite agreeable with guitars (...don't remember the model, but I mean the 2U strip type one(?)), but ultimately, it the old 'horses for courses' scenario again...
Old 6th June 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
I've been quite enjoying the Phoenix Audio DRS-2 on guitars lately... but there are a tone of them that will work really well.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've been quite enjoying the Phoenix Audio DRS-2 on guitars lately
I haven't found a single thing that dosen't sound great with the Phoenix.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks everyone. Sounds like the concensus more or less is to skip the compressor and just go with a preamp, or am I reading to much between the lines here..??
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I read your post correctly, one of the first things I would question is the quality of the 828 converters... maybe there is a fair bit more juice to be squeezed out of your SPL Channel One with an improvement in the A-D department, which frankly isn't hard to do with an 828. ymmv.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the Great River MP-2NV or ME-1NV as well as the FMR RNP.

Steve, www.mojopie.com
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
pre

Well, it really depends on the style of music that you are recording. For distorted Rock, Calrec or API modules can be wonderfull...But they are not the first thing I would reach for on a clean/acoustic guitar sound.

For an overall pre, I would recomend a MP-2NV or possibly a Millenia Media pre. These two would cover a majority of your bases.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, the music I am doing has a lot of sort of 'classic rock' guitars in it. Keith Richards'ey tones (well, sort of anyway) a bit of late 70's Eagles plus it has more recent tones such as Coldplay and even Robbie Williams. So no massive distorted stuff going on but a lot of (hopefully) meaty tones - plus quite a bit of cleanish tones as well.

I have suspected the 828's convertors but I don't know how big any difference will be compared to the preamp scenario. There IS a digital option for the SPL but unfortunately there is no way of trying that without buying it and having it fitted.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto Phoenix...

These babies are the BUSINESS... i too have not found anything that didnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling of general well being... lol and a sense of gearslutz hysteria too.!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Great River MP-NV2 or Trident A-Range.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also check out the API 7600. Awesome for electric guitar.
Old 5th March 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Pre Skitzo-Mania

We recently were gifted from the heavens with a product (OR 2) from CHANDLER.
The GERM mic pre (with a DI input) blew my mind apart and is still doing so on other input sources. We tracked acoustic gtr w/ a GERM and a distressor in opto mode. We ordered a 2nd on to do stereo w/ 2 akg 414's. It just geot sweeter. Bang for the buck, one of my most flexible pre's. Then we added CHANDLERS tone channel and voila (always wanted to use that one!) 2 germanium devices talking to each other. something even humans have a hard time with! These thing were like aliens bleeding all ove my control room.. Get 1.2..3..?? you'll see. We kept changing comps depending on instrument ex: SUMMIT DCL200 w/GERM for Vox, 1176 for bass,,, scamp for naaa turned it off... Thanks Fletch
Old 5th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Chandler TG-2 ought to be great for Keefy stuff but I just don't know about the other stuff. There are lots of clips at the Listening Sessions:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session2.htm

Dare I say the Neve Portico 5012 does not sound bad to me for lightweight guitar? The sort of stuff you get at the beginning of every lame soap-ish series on BBC TV. I guess it could handle clean Eagles-type stuff well enough.

Incidentally, what the hell is a Robbie Williams guitar tone? I only remember that guy for his excruciatingly commercial style of vocal pap. I like what Morrissey said: 'I like everything about Robbie Williams apart from the songs and the voice.'

πŸ“ Reply