I have an AEA R84 Ribbon Mic on loan...-aeasmall.jpg  
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oi =/
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules, please let us know what you think.

I have 3 RCA 77dx mics that I love! (2 were re-ribboned by Clarence Kane) The most I have used at on time is two, they just look so cool and have turned into my 'go to' mics. Now I am lusting after an R84 and want to know how bad it sounds and how I should just stick with what I have.

Fletcher already said they sound different, in a good way. Not what I wanted to hear.

Please tell me horror stories of noisy, low output, and trouble with an unreasonable Wes Dooley.

A man's got to eat, you know.
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Very cool mic, checked it out at the TapeOp conference, but have not used one in the studio. The AEA R84 and the Royer 121 & 122 mics are currently renting space in my head, opinions on these mics are welcomed. Jules, could you see using the R84 on lead vocal tracks & acoustic guitar (pop/rock) in place of a LD condensor?
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had mine about a week....so far it's been coll on Electric gtr and Snare/OH.I can't wait to try on Vox and Acoustics.
The Aea reminds me of the Royer but seems more extended in the low and high frequencies to my ear.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
they are flipping out about these over in the recpit right now. and they sell for under a grand. amazing. people seem to be going to these instead of the other known ribbon mics (coles, royer, etc.) prolly will be the next mic i buy.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Well I just said this in another thread but I got one about a week ago and I am in love. This is the first ribbon I have owned and I am using it on everything right now. Who says a ribbon is a niche mic?

I know the initial excitement will wear off someday but for now its a whole lot of fun experimenting.

And I got serial number 90. It's kind of cool having a serial number less than 100 for a change. Usually I'm the last to get the cool stuff.

Jason A.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
This mic being so nice, does it still retain that certain ribbon sound? I am concerned it may just sound like a good LD condenser ...
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Definitely still a ribbon

Definitely

Jason A.
Old 6th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Re: I have an AEA R84 Ribbon Mic on loan...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

He also left me a Viper to torture me!

Nah, that's not torture. That's the best pre to make the AEA, or damn near any ribbon, as versatile and wonderful as a ribbon can be.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have serial number 9!!!!!
i love my mic.

With a bit of top end boost, it is my vocal mic
Marsh
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by zenfreud
The AEA R84 and the Royer 121 & 122 mics are currently renting space in my head, opinions on these mics are welcomed.
zenfreud, I've just got an r122 and would highly recommend it, especially for accoustic. Through a manley it's given me the most natural sound I've ever heard on both steel string and classical. Also, with a little boost on the top end, it can sound like a condensor, but somehow more detailed. Beats the km184s I was using hands down.

As regards vocals, it's OK - but I always seem to end up preferring the LD condensors I compare it to, especially for male vox. It's still a good mic though.

thumbsup
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
slipperman (or anyone),

do you think the R84 would be a good first ribbon mic, or are there others in your collection you think someone should have first?
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jajjguy
slipperman (or anyone),

do you think the R84 would be a good first ribbon mic, or are there others in your collection you think someone should have first?

A Beyer M160 is also an exellent first ribbon!

Amund
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
the r84 is on a completely different level then the beyer ribbons sonically....

Its like comparing a mackie pre to a great rivers.

Marsh
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of M160/130,
very different sounding than the R84.

I like the hyper on M160 for isolation purpose while doing live recording, but the R84 is just a different beast altogether!

Moko
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Simmon
the r84 is on a completely different level then the beyer ribbons sonically....

Its like comparing a mackie pre to a great rivers.

Marsh
Bull****!

Have you ever used a M160? It`s an exellent ribbon, that sounds great in a lot of applications.
While the r84 is the "new kid in town" and get a lot of praise for beeing a fantastic mic(I`m sure it is), the M160 has been with us since the 60`s and still has a huge following......

The Mackie/Great River comment was kinda stupid....

They`re two different mics, both highly useful in the right applications......

Amund
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I second plexi statement,

The Beyers (160 and 130) are great and so underated.
Plus if you have one of each, you can do M/S couple that sounds pretty amazing as overheads on drums.

I did not try the R84 yet, but I'm sure it must be good too (I have an infinite faith in Slipperman Judgement).

Still I'm pretty sure comparing those is like comparing colors : Blue is not better than red, as oranges are not better than apples ...

btw, there are some great mod to do with a 160 (or any Beyer ribbon), you can put a RCA77 ribbon in them, it sounds pretty amazing too...

Where did I put that link ???

ah yes : http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/4sale.htm

malice
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sank-modded 160's are way cool.

It does seem silly to try to rank the mics--they're just different.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
This thread is great, keep it coming. Has anybody had the chance to use and compare a pair of R84's and a pair of 122's for overhead and or room mics? Apples and oranges? If the price were the same (I know, its not) how would that affect your choice?

Perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but it seems there is a definite market for mics that do not accentuate the harshness that some digital recording mediums are known for. If and when I move up to a truer digital recording platform (Radar Nyquist, HD etc) will these mics be as relevant? Perhaps even more useful with a truer recording system? I dislike harsh tone but I don't want "antique" or muffled. Thanks for any input.
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Maybe my comment was a bit harsh about the beyers, but the R84 is based on the RCA44 and 77 which have been around for quite a bit longer then the beyers.

From what Wes dooley told me, he wanted to design a mic that sounded similar to the 44 but with more modern parts and less proxemity effect.

I stand by my statement that the AEA is superior to the beyers

marsh
Old 9th June 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Jimmy Miller used a M160 for Steve Winwood's vocals on the "Dear Mr. Fantasy" album.
Do you guys think there's much (any) of a difference between the
"vintage" (silver?) M160's and the later ones?

I assume that the R84 could have more of an "open" sound due to the larger "basket" (ribbon?) compared to the Beyer.

The Viper has got to sound awesome, however, for
those of us with more modest budget ceiling, the Studio Projects
VTB-1 ($129 US!) is supposed to sound good on ribbons when
the impedance is set to 50 Ohms.

Chris
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Royers to the R84 ?
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Sank-modded 160's are way cool.
Agreed... I dig the **** outa' mine. thumbsup
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
This is a killer mic.

I will NEVER be sending the demo back.

When I heard the price I almost went back to church.... I thought they were in the $3-4k range when we were trying them out and I was agonizing over whether I wanted to blow that kinda cash on ANOTHER ribbon at this juncture.

Just amazing.

SM.

Jumpin jesus on a pogo stick, these things ARE cheap! Only $50 more than the lamp on Merc Audio. I'm ordering one today no doubt so I can keep my 122's on my "OHOHOHOHOHOHOH's".
Old 12th June 2003
I must say I am very pleased with the guitar tracks I used it on (I used it on almost all the 3 songs on a CD I am on at the moment)

It's more fiddly to place than a Royer, due to it swinging around in its mounting and a fairly stiff conecting wire,

But it sure sounds good!

I will be getting one one day soon!

Recomended!

Old 12th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
How does it sound compared to the Royer ?
Old 12th June 2003
I dunno, I kinda just used it instead of the Royer for the time I had it...

I didn't perform much comparison. If I had, I would spill da beanz, but I was too busy & stressed to mess around like a journalist / reviewer.

Bevvy B was in with the guy that booked my studio & THEY used it and the Viper on EVERYTHING!

I think they loved em both, especially the AEA R84 / Viper combo on Sax...
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
OK, cool, I understand having to just work and not compare.

I just got a pair of Royer 121s and have a second Viper on the way, they're an awesome combo.

Now I'm wondering if I should go for the R84 instead of more Royers.

Maybe I can be 'reviewer.'
πŸ“ Reply