Quantcast
I have an AEA R84 Ribbon Mic on loan... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have an AEA R84 Ribbon Mic on loan...
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah,
thats the real question at hand. Of course AEA can build a great mic, but would I rather buy a r84 now or a Royer 121 or 122? Yes, Im a gear slut so Ill probably get both eventually but right now... I certianly dont "need" either, but which one am I gonna buy?
Frost
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the AEA and 121....used them both last nite...
I haven't made a direct comparision and I've only had the AEA about 2 weeks......They are similar yet different...the AEA seems like it it more extended lows and highs but still "ribbony" to my ears.It sounds "bigger" maybe?

I'm anxious to try the AEA on vocals...I've been using it on Gtrs and OH/FOK drum work....It was a no brainer on gtrs....still trying to work out best position in my room for the drum stuff.

So far the 121 and AEA complement each other well.
That's about the best I can for now.......
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack

So far the 121 and AEA complement each other well.
That's about the best I can for now.......
You haven't, say, used them together for M/S micing, have you?
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nahhhh not yet
keep threatening to though....
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I've used my R84 on some vocals but have yet to try fitting them in a dense mix. Most of my stuff lately has been pretty sparse.

What I have found is that I immediately reach for the high shelf or maybe a bell at about 11K but I also make it a practice after a short period of time to go back and mute the effect just to see if it is really necessary. What I usually end up doing is reducing the high I just put in or even taking it out. Adding highs seems to sound like the right thing to do at first but it sounds so good without it I have a hard time justifying it. I will say though that this thing takes EQ VERY well.

Just my opinion.

Jason A.
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Any guitar micing tips....Jules? Are you able to put it right up to the grill on a loud amp? or is it better/safer to give it some distance?
Old 12th June 2003
No right up there is fine, didnt seem to suffer at all.
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason A

What I have found is that I immediately reach for the high shelf or maybe a bell at about 11K ... What I usually end up doing is reducing the high I just put in or even taking it out. Adding highs seems to sound like the right thing to do at first but it sounds so good without it I have a hard time justifying it. I will say though that this thing takes EQ VERY well.
Jason that's been my experience with the Royer's as well. They take EQ very well and I often add it, then find later it's not needed and take it back out.

The back side of the Royer trick is so nice for vocals and acoustic guitar when you want that 'little bit more' on the top.

I haven't used the big boy RCAs, but I'm wondering if these aren't just the characteristics of good ribbon mics in general.
Old 16th June 2003
Thanks again to Terry Finn for lending it to me!

πŸ“ Reply