Quantcast
Really Nice Pre Competitors? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Really Nice Pre Competitors?
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have some Ward Beck stuff racked. They sound amazing. I had some 470 modules racked for me. First I had them wired to output the class a plus the ab fader makup. This sounded great tho had too much gain for my mics. It was flat and true, very studio recording sounding if that makes sense. Then I recently changed to just the class a output and I picked up a slight buzz in one channel which I have to track down but that really shines. Its very hifi with some great transformer color. The highs are airy but smooth and the lows have a bit of a growl I didnt hear on anything else Ive tried. the mids seem a bit forward which helps electric guitars and some vocals fit into a mix nicely. It has changed the way my rhodes sounds so much I wouldnt be without it and after doing a shootout of like 15 mic pres for bass, we found the di inputs were like #3 overall but with the amb di (from john hardy) or the demeter combined with the ward beck it became the studio favorite. Man it makes things sit well in a track.

I would be worried about using it for all of my tracks, tho I wouldnt use my manley for all of my tracks either. its got a bit too much of a sound for me to want it on everything. I wont get rid of mine tho.

I have also heard the EQ's and think they are a winner too. They arent clinical (which surprises me for a broadcast board) but rather very musical.

I would vote you save up and get a ward beck with EQ (460a prefered) and something like a sytek or possibly digimax just so its not all from one pre.
Frost
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Where can we get more info on Ward Beck stuff?
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
RNP
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Sytek w/j-fet mod.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
jeronimo, i'd like to tell you where to get these racked, but i had to search the hard way,, and i'm afraid these baby's are going to turn ultra rare and collectable in a very short time. so in an attempt to preserve these a little - i will just list his name: dave thomas.

p.s. it's easy to find his email with this and a search engine. cheers!
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I got all the info at the house on the Ward-Beck dude up in Canada. I'll post it tonight if no one else does by then. I seem to recall it's about $750 for a pair delivered to your door. He could also rack 'em if you had them for a lower price.
๐Ÿ“ Reply