Quantcast
How does one burn a DVD-A disc? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How does one burn a DVD-A disc?
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
How does one burn a DVD-A disc?

Just curious here. I'm a mac PT HD user and I'm wondering, how do I burn a DVD-A disc? I'd like to burn a 96k and possibly 192k disc. Does anyone here know what hardware and software is necessary to do this?

Thanks,
John
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I think you will need a DVD-R drive (or other type of DVD recorder drive) and a program like Disc Welder Steel. The cheaper (semi-pro) version will let you produce 24bit (48K or 86K - not sure) discs, but not with MLP compression (standard DVD-A lossless compressiuon).

The full (pro) version will let you produce DVD-A's to the exact same standards as commercial releases.

I know Sound On Sound did a review of the software, but I'm not sure if is available online yet? Have a look at www.sospubs.co.uk and do a search for Disk welder Steel or DVD-A (DVD Audio).

Also, you could do a google search for Disk Welder Steel.

Hope this helps a little?
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
OK, I just had a look on SOS and unless you are a subscriber you can't view the article.

I do have the edition though, and so I will give a quick update.

It will only allow 24bit 44.1 or 48K for 5.1 mixes (I think this is a data size issue due to no MLP), but will allow 96 and 192k stereo mixes!

You need to check with Minnetonka to see if the Discwelder Steel software will work with your DVD writer, but it will on Win98, 2000, Nt and XP. There is no mention of Mac drivers!!

It is priced at $495 direct from Minnetonka's online shop (www.minnetonkaaudio.com).

The next level up is Discwelder Chrome.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thank you, Mr. Funk.

I appreciate your input. I just subscribed to SOS the other day so I'll check out the article. I could go the PC route, but I'd rather stay in the mac since I already have a DVD-R drive for it.

Thanks again,
John
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Just contact the manufacturer and ask them about Mac support. The article was 3 - 4 months ago.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…