Quantcast
Hammer on the stereo bus!!! Your approach? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hammer on the stereo bus!!! Your approach?
Old 5th March 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hammer on the stereo bus!!! Your approach?

For awhile I've been just touching the stereo bus with a little top from the Hammer and it's always amazing. Sometimes a little low end, too. I almost always turn it on right away and mix into the Hammer. I know some people think this is bad, but whatever. I love the way the Hammer sounds.

So, on this last record (big pop/rock production with a lot of tracks) I was trying to get a mix with a really punchy mid-range. I'm not sure why, but I decided to try mixing into the Hammer with a little 2k and/or 5k boost (1-2db), plus a little top end. All I have to say is WOW. It added a broad shape to the mix that just made it pop.

For tracking I love the way the Hammer mid range works in the 2k-5k range, especially for vocals, guitars and snares, but I never tried doing this on the stereo bus. I was super excited about how this mix translated.

Curious about other Hammer users: what do you do on the stereo bus? Are you mixing into it or slapping it on afterwards?

Now I'm excited to try shaping the stereo bus in some other ways for different sounds to see what happens..
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've been seeing hammer around here a lot lately...

Could you (or someone) link me or explain what it is?

I am thinking it's a limiter lol.
Old 5th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The A-Designs Hammer is a stereo tube eq that is the bomb!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A Designs Audio

Using the Hammer on the 2 buss can be great. Couple that with the Nail Compressor and it's unbeatable.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just got my Hammer so I can't offer tons of info, but man 10k on that thing is magic on the 2 buss!! Totally opens a mix up.

I was playing with it the other day and I also added about 2db at 800hz and it was nice for that particular track. Not muddy at all, just thick!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
+ 2 db @ 100

+ 2 db @ 10khz

mids to taste
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Tony ya think I can convince Pete to rename the Hammer as the nail and the Nail as the hammer????
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat ➑️
Tony ya think I can convince Pete to rename the Hammer as the nail and the Nail as the hammer????

yeah I always thought the names were kind of backwards.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
upload or it didn't happen
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA ➑️
+ 2 db @ 100

+ 2 db @ 10khz

mids to taste
Do you mix into that? I wonder if the bump at 100hz would work for me. Might have to try that on this country/roots/folk EP I'm starting soon...

Anyone else?

Maybe Pete will change/swap the names of the Hammer and the Nail... Then, 30 years from now when I'm selling my Hammer EQ to retire it will be the "pre-name change version" and therefore be more desirable on the vintage market.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedresser83 ➑️
upload or it didn't happen
Disc just came out!

Gary Johnson | Sylvan Beach, NY | Pop / Rock / Soundtrack | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

I did my mid bump thing pretty even on all of the tunes...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat ➑️
Anythings possible... not probable, but possible!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejustin ➑️
Disc just came out!

Gary Johnson | Sylvan Beach, NY | Pop / Rock / Soundtrack | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

I did my mid bump thing pretty even on all of the tunes...
Sweet man, sounds real good! Thx for sharing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have been mixing into one for a couple years now. Usually a 10k or 15k boost, but the more I use it the more I find other tweaks really valuable. Its pretty insane that I can sometimes actually use it to boost frequencies I would normally cut.

One trick I like is doing a subtle dip at 30Hz, just to clean up bass heavy mixes a bit.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
How exactly does the hammer work? I looked at the website and whatnot, but it's sorta vague. I understand it's an EQ but the pictures they had
of the boosts and whatnot confused me.

Could someone explain a little better and possibly post a clip of something
without the hammer and with it so I could hear the difference as well? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do you mix into that? I wonder if the bump at 100hz would work for me. Might have to try that on this country/roots/folk EP I'm starting soon...

Anyone else?
Folk, rooty or acoustic Jazz, etc is where I really like boosting with the Hammer. For heavier rock stuff I usually go with something like the EM-PEQ or API 5500, but for acoustic based stuff I love the low end boost on the Hammer.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sell how would the hammer do with say hip hop ?
or should i be checking the api 5500 ?
Old 6th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalGropher ➑️
How exactly does the hammer work? I looked at the website and whatnot, but it's sorta vague. I understand it's an EQ but the pictures they had
of the boosts and whatnot confused me.

Could someone explain a little better and possibly post a clip of something
without the hammer and with it so I could hear the difference as well? heh
The Hammer has fixed frequencies for each of the 3 bands (not sweepable). So those pics on the A-Designs website are showing you what the boost/cut looks like at every frequency. They're color-coded so you can see each frequency separately. Does this make sense?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
Folk, rooty or acoustic Jazz, etc is where I really like boosting with the Hammer. For heavier rock stuff I usually go with something like the EM-PEQ or API 5500, but for acoustic based stuff I love the low end boost on the Hammer.
I totally agree! You can't get the low end slamming with the Hammer like you can with the EM-PEQ.

I think the Hammer would kill for hip hop in the mids and top. But like Ronan is saying, if you need to get the low end banging it might not be the best tool.

The bomb trick, I think, would be to have the Hammer and EM-PEQ in SERIES. Use the Hammer for the mids and high and the fat iron in the EM-PEQ for the low balls. heh
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
The way I like it is Nail to Peqer-Hammer!! Hi fat content indeed definitely not a diet for sissies. High cholesterol audio. heh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have really been liking the hammer after a buss comp-either my Roll Music Superstereo comp or 1968. A boost at 10k and 1.6k can really sound sweet...
The hammer has definitely been an integral addition to my setup.
-Ben
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's it! I can't take it no more! I have to get this damn thing! Tony S in his Mix DVD talking about it and all these slutz are making me jealous!

Ok, I have a Digi 003 for sell, Mackie D8B, for sell, Dangerous 2Bus LT for sell, but I have no cash so..................let's see.......Yep I can get me one!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The bomb trick, I think, would be to have the Hammer and EM-PEQ in SERIES. Use the Hammer for the mids and high and the fat iron in the EM-PEQ for the low balls. heh
Welcome to the 2-buss of almost every record I mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yup, I'm a Hammer--> EMPEQ pair type of guy too. The 60hz selection on the EMPEQ is perfect for the fat and the 10k on the Hammer is perfect for some sweetness. This chain is on like 90%+ of my rock/metal mixes.

Also, the Hammer is impressive when cutting some mids a bit too!
Old 9th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I totally agree! You can't get the low end slamming with the Hammer like you can with the EM-PEQ.

I think the Hammer would kill for hip hop in the mids and top. But like Ronan is saying, if you need to get the low end banging it might not be the best tool.

You mean 2 Em-PEq's ? So how does the Hammer compare to the real high end pricey mastering stuff like Manley ect...? It doesnt sound like a whole lot of people use API EQ on their 2 bus much compared to the Hammer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first approach is this (and don't knock till you try it!!!):

1) select adjacent bands on the left and right channel.

Example:

LOW
Left 30 Hz
Right 50 Hz

MID
Left 1.6kHz
Right 2kHz

High
Left 7.5k
Right 10k

2) Boost every single one ALL the WAY up!

3) Shift the band selections until you get the best sound (usually this is when you use different but adjacent bands on the left and right)...so maybe the highs wind up being 5k and 7.5 k boost, the mids maybe 1.2 k and 1.6 k etc...

4) Now bring gains down for each band until it is sane again (but not quite fully sane)...usually, I find that you want at least 2-3 db of boost everywhere...it is just a matter of determining the band selection puzzle.

Why does it sound good to me? I think cause it really fattens the stereo image this way...the bands are all so wide that you still get a lot of overlap with whatever phase stuff gets introduced...makes a huge larger than life sound...also, the bands are all so musical!

Also - I always use the hammer last in the analog chain. It sounds better to me AFTER the compressor.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit ➑️
You mean 2 Em-PEq's ? So how does the Hammer compare to the real high end pricey mastering stuff like Manley ect...? It doesnt sound like a whole lot of people use API EQ on their 2 bus much compared to the Hammer?
Yeah, 2 EM-PEQ's (to make stereo!). heh

It's a rather slutty eq chain, but it's cool to hear so many people doing it.

I sometimes work at a studio that has a Massive Passive but I've never really compared them. The MP is awesome, but I'd much rather have 2 or 3 Hammers for the price of one MP. But that's just me.

There's another current Hammer thread going on here:

A-Designs Audio HM2EQ Hammer

And I really liked Gregory's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
The Hammer is awesome!

Here's the strange part: I know I'm odd man out, but I don't think the Hammer's magic is in the top. For my money the real voodoo in this box is in the mids, and in particular the way it cuts out the hash and leaves the love. The q is *perfect* for that, if you record in small rooms this unit is a godsend.

People rave about the top, but to my ears it's really quite neutral up there, if your top isn't sweet to begin with this eq won't make it sweet. For the record, Pultec, Sontec, Fearn... those are boxes that sweeten the top in ways I like. Anyway, the Hammer is a bit narrow to do any real augmenting of the top with it. A db or two can be quite nice though, unobtrusive. Maybe my expectations were high based on all the praise in these waters, which leads me to believe the average joe doesn't have much exposure to eq's that are truly amazing on top.

Regardless, I *love* the 100hz band for fattening up a snare too, it can be pretty juicy. The lows are a bit loose in general on this box, but a lot of times loose is exactly what I want, especially on drums. I like thick, dark, tubby 70's tapey drums, the Hammer is really useful for getting that sound. It won't make your ass end massive or beefy, but precious few boxes do that anyway.

What's really cool about the Hammer is that it doesn't really make things sound better, but it makes them behave better. By that I mean you don't run signal thru it and have your eyes pop open at the changes, it's subtle bordering on transparent. But tracks have more life for the journey and this is most eveident when you go to mix, the tubes add an organic quality that's pretty special.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie ➑️
My first approach is this (and don't knock till you try it!!!):

1) select adjacent bands on the left and right channel.

Example:

LOW
Left 30 Hz
Right 50 Hz

MID
Left 1.6kHz
Right 2kHz

High
Left 7.5k
Right 10k

2) Boost every single one ALL the WAY up!

3) Shift the band selections until you get the best sound (usually this is when you use different but adjacent bands on the left and right)...so maybe the highs wind up being 5k and 7.5 k boost, the mids maybe 1.2 k and 1.6 k etc...

4) Now bring gains down for each band until it is sane again (but not quite fully sane)...usually, I find that you want at least 2-3 db of boost everywhere...it is just a matter of determining the band selection puzzle.

Why does it sound good to me? I think cause it really fattens the stereo image this way...the bands are all so wide that you still get a lot of overlap with whatever phase stuff gets introduced...makes a huge larger than life sound...also, the bands are all so musical!

Also - I always use the hammer last in the analog chain. It sounds better to me AFTER the compressor.
You crazy dude! But I might just try it.

Does this sum to mono in a weird way? Do you not get funky phasing problems?
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd mix into it, but I only have one!

rcm's tip of cutting @30 is nice. thumbsup

Favs are 30,100 for overall low end, 800 (bass gtr), 1.2k (sn/vocs), 1.6k (sn/heavygtrs/vocs), 5k (heavygtrs/vocs), 10k for highs.

Last time I used it on the mix was in parallel clean+crush. Great River>RNC>Hammer and all of them pushed pretty hard.

I like having two faders, clean+compressed for the mix buss. The Nail looks so good with its mix control that blends the dry mix in with the compressed... pb+j sandwiches for the next month!

When I set the Hammer "flat" the knobs are actually at +0.2, +0.2, +0.2. heh

-Bruno
πŸ“ Reply