Quantcast
1176 Question...... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 Question......
Old 1st June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
1176 Question......

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.
Does anyone know exactly what an 1176 is doing when you push all the buttons in (apart from making me feel all gooey inside heh ) ??? IE: is there a specific ratio it's hitting, or is it some electronic hoodoo, ala Pultek, Distressor or any other "personality" device you care to mention?

Just for interestes sake, really.......

Tanks!
Old 2nd June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
here is a description of the things they happen if you press all knobs

BTW juergen haible the owner of this site is one of the most remarkable synth freaks i know!!!

http://www.oldcrows.net/~jhaible/com..._compress.html

bye
Old 2nd June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
J Haible

Now if only he and Paul Schreiber would get that clone squeezed into MOTM format like they did Juergen's incredible OTA LP filter design....

One question he doesn't answer for me though is 'can pressing in all the buttons cause any damage'? I do get a little nervous when trying it on my UA 1176.

Burt
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As far as the four-button trick causing any damage I really don't think it does. At work, we have two silverface 1176's and everytime we track drums (a freaking lot) we do the 4 button trick. No problems so far...

ian
Old 2nd June 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Re: J Haible

Quote:
Originally posted by Burt
Now if only he and Paul Schreiber would get that clone squeezed into MOTM format like they did Juergen's incredible OTA LP filter design....

One question he doesn't answer for me though is 'can pressing in all the buttons cause any damage'? I do get a little nervous when trying it on my UA 1176.

Burt
i did the 4-knob-trick with the 1178. no damage yet, except my ears
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are the silver 1176's sexy at all or is it worth just saving up for a black one?

I've only used a black one before but the silvers are sooo much cheaper.
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have not used a black 1176, only the silvers and I have no complaints. If you are into punk rock at all, a lot of big punk records have been done at the studio I work at and all the vocals have usually seen a silver 1176 at one time or another. Records like the early Lagwagon, Ataris, Mad Caddies...
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hmmm, very interesting read, jagarinec, not sure if it tells me exactly what I wanted to know, but certainly interesting, and something I have a feeling I may refer back to a bit......

Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
..pressing all ratio's at one time will not hurt your 1176.

What it does is set up a very high ratio, and at the same time messing up the bias for the VCA fet. Effect is like knocking off ~10dB continuously, and at the same time limiting hard.

We have a complete DIY-project for the 1176 on our webpage:

http://www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gy_pd/1176/1176.htm

schematics, pcb layout, construction notes. Quite a few people have already managed to build this..

..also with an option for the "crunch" setting - that imho is more like a fancy thing than really useable.

Jakob E.
Gyraf Audio
πŸ“ Reply