Quantcast
Your suggestions...buying new gear soon. (long post) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your suggestions...buying new gear soon. (long post)
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Your suggestions...buying new gear soon. (long post)

Hello fellow gearsluts,

I'm not completely new reading posts here, but this is my first post. I'm working fulltime in a post-production studio (www.metasoundstudios.nl), mainly dubbing/mixing cartoons, and sometimes recording vocals/choirs. I play in a crossover band called Haggis, allthough since my fellow bandmembers have other bands as well and since I don't have much time left, we're playing less. At work we use either Augan HD-recorders (together with a D&R Cinemix in the past, now PT) or PT, the Augans will soon be replaced because they're not supported anymore (which is a pity, IMHO mucho better converters then PT, nice user interface as well).

Recording is my hobby as well, currently I use an 828 and an Mbox together with a dual533 G4, using either PT LE or DP. I'm planning to replace the 828 and also buying a new mic-preamp/channel.

The things I consider are either MOTU 24i/o or the HD192, or something similar from RME (well offcourse no 192k from them yet). Another option would be to wait till the Apogee Rosetta800 is out and wait till it can be connected thru firewire to my G4 or to the 828s ADAT i/o. Anyway I like to have a little more inputs then I have now, which is 8 analog (could be expanded as well if I would use an extra A/D converter. mainly neccessary when tracking drums) The motu and rme stuff is very appealling to me because it's capable of delivering cue-mixes without troublesome latency). A PT HD system is out of my league but I see interesting prices on Mix+ systems, but I think I'll stay native, cheaper and I rather invest in good analog gear. Is it worth it to already buy a 192k converter yet since it's one of the very few available. These will be surpassed probably in a couple of months, right? And another thing is that my G4 will cripple probably if I would work at such high resolutions.

I also plan on trying some mic-channels, since I really want something which I could use on anything doing overdubs. I already have a SPL GoldMike, which is nice, but not great (works good on drum O/Hs and guitars though). I was thinking of a Focusrite ISA430 (or a ISA215 with another compressor), AvalonVT373, or the Millennia STT1. Currently at work we use Amek9098 pre's with eq's and DBX160SL in every room. But I would probably use my new "toy" as well since I want to use it all the time and get to know it. All these boxes sound different and except for the Millennia, I've heard them before, I hope I can get the Millennia on trial.

Anyway love to get some input from your side, ofcourse I'd rather spend less money, but being a gearslut I can't resist buyng something...

regards,
Geert
Old 2nd June 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
There are lots of great preamps on the market. The best way to decide is listen.
Old 2nd June 2003
Founder

I had a bad experience doing sessions with 9098 mic pres then doing a session with the same artist months later - without them (I had had them on trial)

Even though I was using high quality gear (API) the later recordings never quite did ever have that "magic" that the 9098 imparted to the signals....

To this day I dont know why I dont have any 9098 gear.... it's great....

Beware turning your back on it once you have gotten used to it!

Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Haha, so I should buy a 9098 for myself, Jules? Well I can make use of it when I want to but I want something different too. I really curious after how the Millennia sounds, anyone experience with their boxes?

regards,
Geert
๐Ÿ“ Reply