Quantcast
Mastering Audio...The Art and the Science - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Audio...The Art and the Science
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mastering Audio...The Art and the Science

I recently received a copy of Bob Katz's book from Amazon. I really recommend it. I'm not hugely interested in mastering per se, and dont want to put together my own mastering rig. I wanted to learn more about the subject, so that I could mix with a better idea of what I should be achieving. It has really been an eye opener. I know there are many members here who are delivering world class mixes on a weekly basis, but I'm not ashamed to say that I have some way to go. Reading this, has helped me to see some of the areas in which I had misconceptions about mixing. Just food for thought.
Jack
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the tip, I'll pick it up!
TommyD
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll second this recommendation... Bob wrote a book that should be on every engineers shelf whether they are involved with tracking, mixing, or mastering...

--Ben
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Im sure if only half of us had a greater insight into what they doa ndthe imprtant interelationship it plays in the final product im sure we would allbe making better records... im still trying to work out the black art myself!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's an article aimed at "home" guys on mastering:

http://www.piemusic.com/mp/mastering.html
Old 2nd June 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Bob's book is a treasure. I think of it as sort of a core memory dump of everything Bob has learned about digital audio over the past 20+ years. For those of you who haven't known very much about Bob, I'd like to tell you a little.

Bob was almost the first hard core analog guy I know of who didn't just accept "don't look behind the curtain because you wouldn't understand" when he didn't care for the sound of digital recording gear. Bob not only looked, he rolled up his sleeves, started modifying ill-designed products and began homebrewing his own digital gear when there were no acceptable commercial alternatives available. He cares passionately about achieving rich, warm, high quality, analog-like results in the digital domain and his book is intended to teach everybody how to accomplish exactly that.

I'm still feeling a bit embarrassed about all of the nice things he says about me in the book but keeping a copy by your side could easily kick the quality of your work up a few notches the same way access to his nuts and bolts digital know-how has improved my work over the past 8 years.
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What is the title of this book...or could someone post a link?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Curve, it's the title of the thread- "Mastering Audio....THe Art and the Science". Ordered my copy from Amazon last night!
TommyD
Old 2nd June 2003
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The book is available fron his website www.digido.com or from any good bookshop. Also available on line from Focal Press (publisher) or the usual suspects like Amazon.
It is really good. Should be compulsory reading before anybody is allowed to even touch a fader on a console. Still in this days of communication technology it amazes me the ignorance I have found among some that profess to be professionals.
I have been reading his articles on his website from the beginning (also articles in pro audio magazines and various papres) and they are all excellent.
Also very active on the mastering Web Board and the Sadie Web Board with Glenn Meadows
He is among the greatest together with Bob Olhsson, Doug Sax, and Bob Ludwig.

Old 2nd June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years

Highly recommended. Very straightforward and should be a 'textbook' for every recording engineer.
(Still in chapter three :p)
Moko
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My copy came a few days ago, definitely a must have reference! Highly recommended,
TommyD
πŸ“ Reply