Quantcast
any feedback on these new products? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
any feedback on these new products?
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
any feedback on these new products?

A couple of new products caught my eye, mainly for being less expensive than I would have expected.

That new Focusrite 4ch mic preamp http://www.focusrite.com/products/isa/428/index.html , the version withOUT the A/D converter option. Its priced about $1000 less than comparable Great River or Hardy preamps, but I'm thinking that there has to be a reason.

And for something less well known, how about these "hand-made" preamps from some Canadien father and son team:
http://www.sageelectronics.com/products.html
Thats gotta be the prettiest preamp module I've ever seen, and the play money converts to around $495 USD.

Both of these products are near the bottom of the Hi-end price range. Can anybody tell us whether they are good deals, or just inexpensive?

steve
[email protected]
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hey,
That "play money" is catching up rather steadily to your shrinking dollar, so perhaps it might be a bit more expensive than you think!
Haven't heard the Sage, tho agreed - they sure look nice, not unlike the DaviSound units i tried a few weeks back. Wood is a tasty touch to mostly metal in a studio.
By the way - have no idea who either of them are: don't know any of their clientele or credits, but nice looking gear nonetheless...
Old 15th June 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
steve, we've got the ISA 428, Hardy M-1 and GR MP-2 here. The 428 has a pretty clean sound, but it's not a Hardy - but it might give the GR a run for its money in some regards. I do think though that for some people, especially doing more hip hop, dance and synth-based stuff - that the 428 would prove to be a more versatile pre/DI.

If you know good pres, when you look at a 428, you can spot little evidences of corner-cutting - like the XLR connectors on the back aren't as rugged and don't lock into place. I still think for $1700ish, that the 428 is a worthy box.

Checking out the dig out option soon.
Old 15th June 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
the forcusrite looks mighty sweet for the mo-nay
Old 15th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: any feedback on these new products?

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve

And for something less well known, how about these "hand-made" preamps from some Canadien father and son team:
http://www.sageelectronics.com/products.html
Thats gotta be the prettiest preamp module I've ever seen, and the play money converts to around $495 USD.
steve
[email protected]
The drum samples on that Sage page aren't too schabby... I hate it when companies sell 1 unit, and it doesn't have a rack-mount availibilty.
๐Ÿ“ Reply