🎧 15 years
POD PRO XT

Here ya go Jules...

http://www.line6.com/podxtpro/index.htm

heh
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have never been able to get a decent guitar sound from a POD, except maybe for lowkey overdubs.!?
Old 30th May 2003
Founder

Wikid!

I KNEW that was a commin!

I think I will get one some time soon,

Thanks!

Old 30th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
had a guitar player in the studio the other day with a Line 6 Vetta. Damn that thing was great. It was for a demo recording so he brought it in as a no hassle, quick way of getting a decent sound but after the session we fiddled around with it some more and to be honest ... I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it in a real recording. Great guitar sounds come with great amps, great guitar players and especially guitar players who know how to provide the audio engineer with a great source signal. The vetta in the hands of such a guitar players totally rocks.

If this line 6 product is as good as what's inside the Vetta it's good ... really good.
Old 31st May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
umm so this is the exact same as a pod xt but less portable but with digital outs and such...

My really wish is that they would update ampfarm but I am giving up on that... so maybe I will just pick up the regular xt and use it in my portable composing rig
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

only 64 user memories ?

Old 31st May 2003
Founder

"had a guitar player in the studio the other day with a Line 6 Vetta"

A Vetta what? Combo or head & cab?

I liked the combo, because I liked the combo, I want the XT..

I hope my assumption that all I have to do lift the cab emulation and port it out to a power amp & cab.... or combo with insert return (to power amp) is correct!

Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
head & cab
Old 16th June 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
how much better is the new pod compared to the old pod?
Old 16th June 2003
Founder

WAY better apparantly Bev!

Me want!

Old 16th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Bev

No comparison. The XT has the same software/modelling as the vetta series. It sounds great.

I use mine as a live fx insert on my rhodes, and it is beautiful. no mroe pedalboard hassles, just a little table-top bean with knobs and all.

I've also been using it as a programming tool for sound design - snares through tweed amps, Strings reamped and distorted, etc.
Very flexible.

-sm
Old 16th June 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Has it got better effects?

THE EFFECTS ON THE OLD POD WERE KIND OF INAUDABLE

oops, caps
Old 16th June 2003
Founder

I tried a Vetta combo in Sam Ash December 2001 - I WAS Pete Towndend at Montery Pop!

The HiWat emulation was AWE-F***ING-SUM!

Jeeze Smoothmonicer do you really have an XT ??

Do you need a gardener or butler?

Can I move in?

WAAAZZZZ IT LIKE DEN?

Oh tell us !

Old 17th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
jules

i've got the XT, not the XT PRO. same processing and such, no? just a different housing and a new spiffy set of digital outs. they've been out on this side of the street for months.

It's very usable, sounds really good. The flexibility of the routing/amp combos makes it a real tool instead of just an adolescent guitarist's tone shortcut (which the original kind of was). A good friend did a lot of the amp audition and selection work for them (they went out and auditioned like 1500 amps to get the ones they wanted to model), and they did the same this time for the pedal fx. The screamer is legit, the red compressor and such all sound very authentic. My fave is the multi-head tape delay. Complete with flutter and wow controls.

One complaint. You can tap-tempo the time based effects (delays, filters), but you can't start/stop the sine wave for the envelope FX. So if you have a hip square wave envelope, that's very cool, but it's almost useless unless you start the tune synced to the wave. You can't trigger it half way through. make sense?

anyway. i love it.
-sm
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I'll be getting the pod xt pro this weekend. The original pod was somewhat usable. This should be much better. The Vetta sounds are very good with the Tubescreamer emulation etc... Anyhow, I will report how well it tracks very soon.
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The POD stuff is great, the only thing it's missing is energy, soul, edge, punch, air, grind, balls, drive, crush, and basically anything resembling midrange. Perfect for sucking the life out of a mix.
Old 18th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have to agree. I'm in a sitution where we have bands on the same stage 24/7. We really don't have the time (or desire) to allow the guitarist to bring their own gear, so we use the POD. I guess it's suitable for what we are doing, but it does sound like a guitar with no balls.

------------------

"Come on Donny, they were threatening castration. Are we gonna split hairs here?"
Old 18th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
just to clarify:

POD XT is not the POD.

POD blows, in many, many ways.

POD XT is huge, in many, many ways. Go try one. Be sure to fiddle with the cabinet micing choices (choice of mic, position, distance) All the cabs were modelled with about 12 different micings, so each placement sounds legit. They're the key to making the thing sound legit - add space, depth, punch, drive ....

-sm
Old 26th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
jules, a follow-up

I just updated the POD XT so that it is now a USB asio audio i/o

Instead of dragging out my rack live, I can run my rhodes through the pod, and use the audio outs to trigger loops/samples from LOGIC through the pod via usb.

everything comes out of one little stereo pair, so the sound guy loves me, and my keyboard tech doesn't have to setup the whole rack with the 828, MTP, line mixer. He's still pissed about the rhodes, but that's why I pay him literally dozen of dollars, no?

-sm
Old 26th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mordecai
I have to agree. I'm in a sitution where we have bands on the same stage 24/7. We really don't have the time (or desire) to allow the guitarist to bring their own gear, so we use the POD. I guess it's suitable for what we are doing, but it does sound like a guitar with no balls.

------------------

"Come on Donny, they were threatening castration. Are we gonna split hairs here?"
and often like a guitarist with no balls! Good to see you here dude!
Old 4th July 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i guess none of you have been over to the line 6 board. the xt seems to be not so popular. i love my pod 2.3 warm and fuzzy. you just gotta put a little time into it.
Old 7th July 2003
Lives for gear

Where is the link to the Line 6 forum??
I've tried the XT and I have a v1.0. I could hear the difference on the XT... it sounds better than my 1.0... all the low distortion amps (vox, etc...) sound much better...
Old 8th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
POD by itself is okay. POD up next to the real things is a joke. The amps come with ****ty solid state power sections and ****ty speakers. They are in fact cool for scratch gutiars that actually sound like something and making demos go faster but from expereince, the distorted tones are dead, cold and muddy while simultaneously brash and don't have enough headroom to stick a distortion pedal in front of it without clipping the non-modelled preamp section. I mic'd up my $230 sovtek mig 100 with a soldano supercharger and my les paul custom and that sounded amazing recorded.
Old 25th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sync tempo .....

Quote:
So if you have a hip square wave envelope, that's very cool, but it's almost useless unless you start the tune synced to the wave. You can't trigger it half way through. make sense?
I see I'm not the only one.....That's the only thing I don't like about my Pod XT.
Old 3rd October 2003
Founder

Any more usage reports? Jack?

Question.... can you disable the cab emulation? (so I can blast it into a power amp stage of a seperate head?)

Any XT owners lusting after the NEWEST Vetta mark II - just out? Imagine theres much difference?

Thanks

Jules
Old 3rd October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just think getting a Line6 is beating a dead horse. This technology is just not at a point yet where it's suitable to use this stuff for real rock recordings, and that's what I think you're doing, right Jules? Line6 came out with what- the vetta, duotone, flextone III, HD147, podXT, the FX racks- in the last 2 years alone. Line6's get outdated way faster than any digital recording rig. I just don't see the point in purchasing one for professional use. If I wanted a modelling amp I would look either at the Pritchard amps (which are supposedly phenomenal, though I've never played one), or just stick with the tried and true Sans Amp.

And if volume is the issue for anyone interested in the Line6 stuff here are some tube alternatives:

the Gjika mini-amp: plug this big pedal by amp guru Bob Gjika into your 100W head and be treated to stunning overdrive sounds at below whisper volumes

the Dennis Cornell 'baby' plexi: the best mini-plexi production head in existance. Won't piss off your neighbor. Will give you every old marshall sound you want.

Bad Cat is also coming out with a 4Watt 1x10" combo that is supposed to just flat out smoke.

I've also gotten very interesting results playing around with non-conventional direct techniques- my cranesong spider makes a cool transistory guitar amp when fully cranked. With delay, it sounds like a freaking synthesizer.

I just think that when you're getting into faking guitar sounds with a Line6, you should just opt to go for a different sound. For professional use, the technology just isn't there yet for a really really convincing recording. The best one out there is that Mr. Bulbous record and anyone with an ear for audio could point out that the tone is fake.
Old 3rd October 2003
Founder

Fair enough....

ANY-how....... (in total denial!!)

I wonder what the delay between say a hardware DI before the XT (or Vetta) and the modeled output is like?

Can someone measure it sometime soon please?

πŸ“ Reply