Mo' Drum micing - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mo' Drum micing
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G

The other hazard to this over-the-shoulder technique (or benefit, depending on your perspective) is if you've got a "grunter". Michael Urbano (for example) makes some amazing noises during fills. It's fun just listening to the overheads soloed (whether close to the shoulder or not).

-dave
...or a "singer". I've had a couple of drummers that we almost had to end up giving an unanticipated vocal credit...
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have been recording myself with 5 mics as of late, and I must say it sounds big. I put a U87 as FOK though for its tight bass response.

I put the U87 on a table top stand about 3 or 4 feet in front and maybe a foot or two up. Whats cool about the front mic is that it picks up everything. Want the crashes and hat to come out? Boost the highs on it. Want the toms and a nice deep kick sound? Boost the lows.

The only pit falls I have found with using a front mic is that it sometimes requires you to work with phase between it and the bass drum mic. I normally slide the FOK in time with the kick on my DAW. Also, it can mess with a the drums stereo image, particularly on the cymbals, but also if you individually mic and pan toms. Then again between the overheads and FOK, why do you even need to mic the toms?

Beez
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well...I hope you guys are satisfied. All the AEA R84 talk got to me. One on the way. Well see...

Anyway...quick story for you, sad but true type. Band comes in, band wants 6 songs, 5hrs., mixed and mastered. Yeah right... anyway set up, get levels (this is guerilla, no climbing into the snare sound here. Go with what you know and get out), print a sample, get a taste, take a short bathroom break and take my place. Rolling...

Wait...no bass mike. DI, but no bass mike. Little scramble here and there, no bass mike. More scramble, no bass mike. Change cable, no bass mike. Change pre, no bass mike. Change mike, no bass mike. DI, but no bass mike. Bass player oblivious. Me puzzled. Me notice bass player hasn't turned on the amp. Me pissed and embarrassed at the same time. A weird feeling. Like having your pants pulled at the pool mid-summer. I'm an idiot, he's an idiot, were even. Rolling...

There very nice guys really. But they couldn't do it all in 5hrs of course. More tracking tomorrow.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dan-O, almost the exact same thing happened to me last week.

We're ready to roll on another take, and suddenly the electric bass player starts cursing me because he can't hear his bass in the headphones.

After some checking in the control room, a quick trip out to the playing room revealed that he had apparently unplugged his axe from my U-5 so he could use his tuner, and forgot to plug back in...

His band-mates made so much fun of him afterwards that I didn't even get tempted make any withering remarks, which was probably for the best...
Old 5th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
measuring the distance from the center of the Kick to each of these mics is also equidistant from the kick and snare.
Does he mean that the distance from the center of the kick to each mic should match, just like the distance from the snare to each mic?

Thanks
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-O
Well...I hope you guys are satisfied. All the AEA R84 talk got to me. One on the way. Well see...
I got bit by that bug a couple weeks ago. My R84 came in for a trial period a week later. Let's just say it's going NOWHERE. Exactly what I was looking for.

Now I just have to sell something to make up the cash. Gotta love credit cards. Or is that credit cards love me. Hmmm

Jason A.
📝 Reply