Quantcast
Best uses for Electro Voice RE200 & RE1000? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best uses for Electro Voice RE200 & RE1000?
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Best uses for Electro Voice RE200 & RE1000?

I just got a new RE200 for $110 inc shipping to UK and a RE1000 (Used twice) for $150 + ? Shipping (from Ebay.com).

Not heard much about these mics, only read the positive SOS review by P. White. They were £410 & £950 in 1996, but I have no idea how much they sell for in the UK now? In the US, the best deal I have found is $180 (most places $230) for the 200 and $400 (mostly $499) for the 1000, so I still think I got some bargains?

Has anyone any opinions of these mics? What are they good on? Are they crap? Did I waste my cash?

Cheers for any help.

Kane
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
RE200

I have used (and liked) the RE-200's. I think that they are a good sleeper microphone. I have liked them on hi-hat, overheads and acoustic guitar.

jason
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Cool, I got a NEW RE200 for $110 (inc shipping) and a (used twice) RE1000 for $150 + shipping to L.A. (friend bringing it back from US)!!

Sound like I got a couple of bargains??
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just a quick update.

I got my RE200 (£68 inc shipping - 2 months old) and I must say I am well happy! It is a dinky little mic, looks good and feels well made. It has a very unusual sound (in my limited experience) and is totally different from anything else in my limited (8) mic collection!

I have yet to find a use for it, as I don't record that many instruments, but I have a feeling when I do find a match for it, it will be excellent!

It is very susceptible to wind and handling noise, it even picked up some vocal wind through my K&M Pop shield!

Anyone else used these with any good results?

I get my RE1000 any day!
Old 16th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
RE200 as a vocal mic.

I know it's an old thread but I just thought I'd fill in a couple of gaps.

Just got an Re200 based on the SOS review mentioned above.... cost me $100 on ebay and came from Fargo, ND (a place which has probably never recovered from a visit by the Coen Brothers).

I also bought a crosshair pencil mic shockmount with built in pop filter from Hong Kong, like the ones that come with the Cad E70.... cost me $20.

I've been looking for a vocal mic to suit my voice and based on the two links below I decided to try this Re200. It is great on my vocal ( a high baritone ???)

This is me singing in a pub using the AT MB 3000L (another unsung hero in my arsenal)

YouTube - Blackheath by Mike Norton

Also this one with another AT mic:

YouTube - Killing the Blues - performed by Mike Norton

So if your voice is maybe similar range/timbre I would recommend the RE200. It may suit a whole lot of voices. ...Highly recommended.

I also tried it on my Ac. Guitar and it was pretty good but I still prefer some other mics for that.

Electrovoice RE1000, RE2000 & RE200

http://www.careysound.com/downloads/...rmicdrawer.pdf

This is from the SOS review.

"But the big surprise was the relatively inexpensive RE200 which, when compared to the RE1000, sounded very similar indeed, hence my decision to include it in the review -- I wonder if they use a variation on the same capsule? There's slightly more presence from the RE200, as its frequency plot would lead you to expect, but the underlying warmth and thickness of tone is undiminished. I think the RE200, if used with a pop shield, would make an excellent vocal mic, as well as an instrument mic ."
📝 Reply