Quantcast
has anyone seen this yet? what do you think? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
has anyone seen this yet? what do you think?
Old 26th May 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
has anyone seen this yet? what do you think?

Prism site:
Following the phenomenal success of the the ADA-8 direct-connect I/O Module for Pro Tools|24 MIX, we are now shipping a direct-connect module for Pro Tools|HD, including Pro Tools|HD version 6.
***DSD I/O module available February 2003, with SDIF-2, SDIF-3 and MAC-DSD interfaces. New DSP features include eight-channel PCM-to-DSD and DSD-to-PCM conversion (any PCM sample-rate), plus 8-channel PCM sample-rate conversion.
****NOTE: By fitting both of these I/O modules, Pro Tools can record and replay DSD audio, allowing it to produce SACD master recordings.
Coming soon: Firewire I/O module with ASIO driver from Windows and MacOS

Does anyone have this yet? Does it work?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Those little teasers!..........not an awful lot of info on the website...

DSD in PT?....how exactly does this work?.............does it "fake" PT into thinking it's recording 192/24???

any ideas?
Old 26th May 2003
Founder

I have the ADA Dream unit.. with 'normal' DA/AD cards at the moment

Can I do DSD audio on Mix + platform if I buy the right cards?

Or only PTHD?

Old 26th May 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
I sent an email asking for particulars, Rome Paris Amsterdam time at noon today. My guess is that they're converting to 24/192 and reconverting as Pyramix converts to 32 floating at 384 (352.??) and reconverting to DSD. Not entirely satisfying.
It doesn't make me leave a platform that I already know, (crusty old bastard that I am). And I can bull**** my way through any miasma of bits and bytes as long as I believe in what I'm doing (i've been doing it untill now).
It doesn't give me the ability to author SACD.
So without leaving MAC, how can I master and author SACD?
With the PRISM, I like their philosophy of, "same box, change the cards" future "moduality"(?) and compatibility, it gives me the ease of mind that I don't have at this moment. At present they're topped out at 96k, which I'm sure that for any mortal listening purposes (end listener) is just dandy. But now they offer DSD recording and playback with ProTools. Whether it's better or not is a different hilla'beans.
I just finished explaining to a bank and the regional agency here how it was necessary to explore the limits of the future and assorted other bull**** (it took a few weeks of writing, a trip to Switzerland and a trip to Amsterdam, summed up, a ****load of money).
I now have financing that is 30% covered by the CEE with the other part covered by loans that have interest rates of 3.5% for equipment that I wouldn't want if I can still use the old Ford-T with a new trailer. Fortunately I'm not obbliged to honor the estimates given as references, or I'd be eating crow for the rest of my life.
If it works I'll be glad, if not.?
Still waiting for the response [email protected]:00
Old 26th May 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
Good question. Does anyone know a PRISM rep who can answer these questions here on the forum. They only need to register to answer. Seems like a lot of business could be had if the right sailor wakes up.
Old 26th May 2003
Founder

Its a public holiday here in the UK today (Monday), but I will send an email to my contact there..

Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This whole issue is an ugly can of worms......

...........if you don't believe me, read this

it's a copy/paste from the mastering webboard and shows that even the experts can't agree ****!
Old 26th May 2003
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I have the ADA Dream unit.. with 'normal' DA/AD cards at the moment

Can I do DSD audio on Mix + platform if I buy the right cards?

Or only PTHD?

Jules,
to do DSD audio you would need DSD (Sony boards) on your PCI cards which Digi doesn't have.......yet.
Sonic Studio Hd and Sadie 5 do DSD (real, not converted to PCM for editing etc...)
Sonic does PCM and you can add 2 different boards to do DSD (1 is shipping...the other......they are very slow...) Sadie DSD des PCM as well but the PCM machines cannot be upgraded to DSD.
If Pro Tools will do real DSD.... who knows...at the moment surely not.
A DSD coverter being easier to design than a PCM one I could see why not have the same box with different card doing both PCM and DSD........thaat's cool.....but turning Pro Tools into a DSD platform.......
Old 7th June 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Sonic released a PT DSD support plugin....

U know, Sonic studio released a DSD plugin for Protools, so that the output format (Or processed file) can be DSD. But it is non-real time....(Audiosuite....) ..

I dun think Prism is really providing a PT DSD solution.... How can u do SACD authoring in PT? I guess what they mean is: u can plug the PT at the Prism path 1, it will convert to DSD at it's output, and the other way round at path 2....
do u can ONLY DO DSD through other softwares that supports DSD processing......
BUT NOT HAVING DSD PT...
πŸ“ Reply