Quantcast
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 or Royer SF-12 as drum OH ???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 or Royer SF-12 as drum OH ????
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 or Royer SF-12 as drum OH ????

OK my fellow gearslutz,

I've basically narrow my choices down to either a Schoeps CMC6 with MK4 capsule or Royer SF12 for drum overhead...or sould i say my main WITNESS mic ( as Billy Ward would call it ). I've been using Shure KSM32 so far with excellent result but hoping to find something better.
Comments/suggestions is much appreciated. BTW, my pre's are Dakings...love them. I will also be adding some API soon. Thanks
Old 27th May 2003
Founder

for recording to digital (Pro Tools in my case) I find the ribbons as overheads help cut down on the dreaded 'hissy sizzle' of cymbals that can be in my experience a serious problem and deliver a more robust 'klang and Ting' overhead sound...I don't know the other mic mentioned very well but from past experience with the brand, I associate them with the exact type of extended HF that I try to avoid with overheads on digital.
But then I am a hack engineer producer that over eq,s over compresses - so what do I know.....
Old 27th May 2003
Founder

I already have my Fatso in use on the Kick & Snare during drum tracking..
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have the Schoeps and I have a pair of 4038's and I find the MK4's are awesome as OH and the Coles are better as room mics (gtr, horns and vocals too!!). The Schoeps are smooth as silk so don't think they are like other condenser mics. Seems like a ribbon will be more of a "sound" and the Schoeps more nuetral (but in a great way)
drew
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I personally have a pair of Schoeps cmc6 amps with the MK4-V capsules:

http://www.schoeps.de/E/mk-ccm4V.html

If you take a look at the polar plot, these capsules have a bump around 10k, which translates into "high frequency emphasis". I find this to be a great blend since the Schoeps are very smooth and mellow, and with this added high frequency information a very detailed picture is presented.

People fear the combination of high frequency information with digital, yet you really can make it work for you if you just find a way to balance your frequencies. As with anything, sometimes these Schoeps rock for overheads, sometimes they sound too "bright" - alot depends on the variables, and the preamp they are paired with (a tele V276 calms them down in an interesting way). Sometimes a Royer 121 as a mono OH works, sometimes a U87. Yet as far as getting general use out of this high end mic purchase, you will most likely get more bang for your buck out of the Schoeps than a ribbon mic, yet this all depends on the sounds you are going for. The only solution is that you must buy both!
๐Ÿ“ Reply