Quantcast
new gear means new website - hosts? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new gear means new website - hosts?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
new gear means new website - hosts?

I've made a few major changes - some big gear purchases, left the studio I was sharing and set out on my own; so it's time for a new website. The existing site has a stupid URL not related to our name, but it was a free site hosted by my local telephone service. I have now registered the studio's name as a website and its time to find a host. I'm going to keep this site very basic:a half dozen pages, no online transactions or forms, just your basic circa '95 HTML website. Any suggestions on where I should have it hosted? Any hosts that you feel good about after working with them for a year or two? Any things to look for that you didn't think about until it was too late? Other ideas or recommendations?

Thanks.

Steve
[email protected]
Old 26th May 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Steve, I use http://www.addr.com

You can get a Silver account for $9.95 per month with no set up fee.
http://www.addr.com/services.htm

I've used ADDR as webshosts on several sites for over a year. Though I rarely need to use the tech service, they're excellent and respond quickly. No downtime so far on any of my sites.
Old 26th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
So far, I've been very happy with earthlink's hosting, though I really haven't handled any of the details other than setting it up; Lyle Caldwell has dealt with it ever since. And if he sees this thread, he may offer some suggests based on other sites he's put together.
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
A friend of mine is setting up my website - should be ready in about a week or so. We're using www.doteasy.com - it's only about $25 a year with I think 15 or 25 mb of storage, email addresses, domain name, and NO banners! Pretty damn good deal.

-Dave
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i wont recommend a host here as i'm overseas but i am going to advice you to upgrade your 95 designed website by all means.

I'm so amazed how little attention people pay (especially in USA) to cool and well designed websites. For a studio do this:

1) Photos
2) Photos
3) more photos

of everything you can think of, taken in any angle (dont forget widelenses). And photos must be BIG.

You can picture and SELL your studio with a good website. Bands will surf and they'll tell averyone "look at where we recorded". All the other bands will visit your website over and over , salivating and waiting for the studio to be free to book thier sessions. As they wait, they'll picture where in the rooms they'll put the amps/drums/wahtever, what mics they'll use for the backvocals, what fx unit will be on... etc.

the news section will include thousands of photos of every band/singer/musician/politician who recorded there.
it's a great and busy studio, isn't it?

selling desires is the biggest Marketing role.

Build an awesome looking website with lotsa photos:
gear, gear, more gear, a nice coach, sunlight trhu windows, a beatles poster, happy bandmenbers tracking, fx lights glowing, cans of snacks donuts and fruit....

i could help you on that thing, but i'm a little busy.

(btw, if the real place it's nice, it helps too)
Old 28th May 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
I just switched my hosting to MMedia (same guys who designed my website). Serious bandwidth (3 OC-12 connections!) and quite reasonable.

I have 5 GB of online storage for FTP transfers (lots of clients like to FTP albums to me) - worth considering to offer your clients.

Plus, the support is second to none.

You can find cheaper, I'm sure, but like anything else, you get what you pay for...
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I get a lot of good comments about my studio website, Its simple HTML only, lots of PICS, and all the info I get asked regularly is on there.

I dont mean to blow my own trumpet (as they say) but I have seen a lot of studios websites, and while many have better gear and so on, I usually am unimpressed by their sites. While im sure mine could be better, and I know im no graphics or web dude, I think its worth a look at for ideas.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i use pacbell for one of them and the one that is the real deal is

www.ipowerweb.com

They are like $100 for the year and give you 400MB of storage...i use FTP all the time. Guys I work with have done a lot of research on consumer reports and stuff and this has the best price/performance ratio I'm aware of....
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Agree with jindrich, but keep it simple ;-). No nonsense flash etc.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's another vote for ipowerweb.com
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…