The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to Remove Sticky Tape Residue?
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How to Remove Sticky Tape Residue?

Does anyone have any good solutions for removing sticky tape residue from mics, cables, and other gear?

Thanks.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Windex is extremely good at that. That orange oil (forget the brand name) is even better but I like the windex because it is mild and goes away.
BTW, don't spray the windex on the object, put it on a rag first.
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Goo Gone works great for that
Old 21st January 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
On non metal surfaces I use citrus "Goo Gone" and sometimes WD 40 is very good. Be aware that the citrus cleaners are pretty strong and will take paint off of gear.
On metal parts like mic stands acetone works well. Be careful with the fumes and remember that it is very flammable. Use at your own risk!........but it will clean up messes that others won't.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
On non metal surfaces I use citrus "Goo Gone" and sometimes WD 40 is very good. Be aware that the citrus cleaners are pretty strong and will take paint off of gear.
On metal parts like mic stands acetone works well. Be careful with the fumes and remember that it is very flammable. Use at your own risk!........but it will clean up messes that others won't.
Don't use WD-40, alcohol, or acetone on rubber.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➑️
Don't use WD-40, alcohol, or acetone on rubber.
True, I like Citrus cleaner on cabling. Acetone and rubber is the recipe for GOO.
Probably the best thing is to test any cleaner on a non important item before using it on anything valuable.......wish I'd have taken that advice before I tried to get a difficult smudge off of one of my console faders with Goo Gone. Paint gone.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
White vinegar diluted in water works good too.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Goo Gone.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
use oil, everything works - just grab some olive oil from your kitchen ... unfortunately you have to clean up the oil afterwards (alcohol).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Careful with the goo-gone (great stuff) but I took the lettering off one of my old Langevin 253 EQ's with that stuff. Now where it says model number on the sticker it's blank... but you can still tell their Langevin 253 EQ's heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know if it's available in US and Canada, but I have had great success with Teslanol Label Off. I have used on almost every material without any problems. I can't understand why people put a lot of stickers on music equipment...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Forget the "goo gone" ... here's an example

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...g-fet-iis.html
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Nail polish remover - acetone
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Egan ➑️
Nail polish remover - acetone
People...please be very careful with acetone. tutt

Acetone is a solvent for most plastics and it is also an excellent choice if you want to get rid of all the text on your front panels...
Old 22nd January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
naptha will remove tape goo and will not damage most paints or plastics, can even be used on lacquer finishes (i.e., vintage guitars, etc.)... it is, however, extremely flammable!
Old 21st April 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Valver: Some of us don't have sufficient privileges to access this link, it was rather rude to post an answer in this fashion.
Old 21st April 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ordinary lamp-oil works on most surfaces wipe clean with soap water if any residue
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I just cleaned a fair amount of gaffa tape residue from some metal surface mics using olive oil and plenty of elbow grease. soft cloth + fingernail. a little bit of detergent at the end to get rid of the oil residue. paper towels to dry.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any recommendations for getting masking-tape residue off of cymbals safely? Is olive oil a safe bet?

I don't go near GooGone anymore, since the first time I tried it I couldn't get the cap off.. yanked so hard it 'exploded' and splashed me in the face and eyes… Kinda freaked me out just a bit, though I survived without injury or disfigurement. (quite a lucky break, since I'm already naturally disfigured enough! :-) )
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also avoid GooGone and other solvents after a friend died of accidental poisoning (not from GooGone, but who knows what's in that stuff).

I typically use rubbing alcohol to start. You may need to soak it a bit to loosen the adhesive, so you might just spray it down a few times at 15-20 second intervals before you even start wiping.

If do I have to use GooGone, I'll break out the rubber gloves to keep it off my skin.
Old 7th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy ➑️
naptha will remove tape goo and will not damage most paints or plastics, can even be used on lacquer finishes (i.e., vintage guitars, etc.)... it is, however, extremely flammable!
AKA lighter fluid (some lighter fluids no longer contain naptha). Extremely flammable! Has a very low vapor pressure, which means it evaporates very quickly, so work fast. Doesn't leave any residue in my experience.

Solvent naptha is the primary ingredient in drum cleaner. Drum cleaner is used for removing tape adhesive residue from the (incredibly expensive) acrylic drums used in drum scanning photography film.
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sometimes a new piece of sticky tape will remove a lot of the old sticky tape residue. try duct tape. or gasoline. more precisely that high octane jet fuel you get up at the dragway...
Old 8th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson ➑️
AKA lighter fluid (some lighter fluids no longer contain naptha). Extremely flammable! Has a very low vapor pressure, which means it evaporates very quickly, so work fast. Doesn't leave any residue in my experience.

Solvent naptha is the primary ingredient in drum cleaner. Drum cleaner is used for removing tape adhesive residue from the (incredibly expensive) acrylic drums used in drum scanning photography film.
Naptha is also what poisoned my friend. No one knows exactly how he was exposed to it; he cleaned his shed out and died a few days later.

So I stay away from that stuff.
Old 8th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont know why these work but they do.
Gleam anti grease pads.
Gleam Anti-Grease Pad (single)

I have removed tape residue,price stickers etc, without anything added. Just a damp one of these.
Its the micro fibre i suspect but not all micro fibre does it. These do work.
You may have to add a little appropriate substance if its really stubborn.

my 2c
Old 8th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Windshield wiper fluid. Amazing stuff for cleaning consoles and gear etc.
Old 8th November 2014
Lives for gear

Never dull and a wood cleaner called "scotts gold" work wonders. Scotts smells like almonds too!

Beware of nevr dull, it can be pretty powerful. It shines up drum hardware really nice.
πŸ“ Reply