Quantcast
New NT1a mod from Michael Joly - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New NT1a mod from Michael Joly
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New NT1a mod from Michael Joly

I've completed an intense period of R&D and now have a new modification for the RODE NT1a - new, more open-area "67 / 87" style headbasket and MJE-K47 capsule. Sounds righteous with that low noise (5 dBa) circuit in this mic. No more sizzle, just classic midrange punch.
Attached Thumbnails
New NT1a mod from Michael Joly-michael_joly_nt1a_mod4.jpg  
Old 17th January 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Tempting definitely! I might not try and sell my nt1a now. Can we here some side-by-side comparisons to hear the difference? If it will turn my unused nt1a into a useable microphone then it will definitely be worth it.
Old 17th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Will have some audio coming up. I'm going to do some single take, two track samples comparing the mod'd NT1a to my '70's U 87. But in the meantime you can hear the sound of the MJE-K47 capsule installed in the Apex 460 and CAD GXL 3000 being compared to U 47 / M49 and U 87 / UM71.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hi Michael, will the mod work with the original NT1?

Cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Will have some audio coming up. I'm going to do some single take, two track samples comparing the mod'd NT1a to my '70's U 87. But in the meantime you can hear the sound of the MJE-K47 capsule installed in the Apex 460 and CAD GXL 3000 being compared to U 47 / M49 and U 87 / UM71.
Sounds good, I would also be interested in hearing the difference between a stock nt1a and the mod!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III ➑️
Hi Michael, will the mod work with the original NT1?

Cheers
Hey Martin, how's the Beijing winter treating you? I think it is very likely I could do this mod to the NT1 as these two mics have very similar bodies. But I understand the NT1 has a slightly different capsule mount so that presents an unknown I haven't worked through yet. Perhaps I can get someone in the US to send me one for evaluation first - I'll pick up the shipping costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughton ➑️
Sounds good, I would also be interested in hearing the difference between a stock nt1a and the mod!
ha. So now you want me to buy a second mic to keep stock and run tests against it? ; )
Old 18th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm interested, just a bit confused.
I have two NT1a's.
Your selling the capsule & new headbasket and then there's some self assembly?
How complicated is the assembly?
Thanks~!
Matt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
doh, my bad.

No, I do the entire modification here in my shop - get out the blow torch, Sawzall and 10 pound sledge hammer to mod that baby. You just sit back and wait for it to be sent back to you all dolled up, sizzle-free and 47-styled.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Michael - are you going to add the Studio Projects C-1 to your K47 mod list? I need a second K47 capsule to pair up with the one I just got, (sdc plus head assembly) and the C-1 mic body appears to be roomy enough for your mods.
Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've completed an intense period of R&D and now have a new modification for the RODE NT1a - new, more open-area "67 / 87" style headbasket and MJE-K47 capsule. Sounds righteous with that low noise (5 dBa) circuit in this mic. No more sizzle, just classic midrange punch.
How long does the mod take from shipping from my studio and back?
Thanks,
Matt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➑️
Michael - are you going to add the Studio Projects C-1 to your K47 mod list? I need a second K47 capsule to pair up with the one I just got, (sdc plus head assembly) and the C-1 mic body appears to be roomy enough for your mods.
I've done a fair number of SP C1 mics with MJE-K47 capsules, single layer headbasket mod and Evidence Audio wiring upgrade. I've just never created a product page for these mods. Just shoot me an email. The circuit design and components in that mic are fine. Interestingly, I just had a Stereo SP mic here and it had a single layer headbasket - stock from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose ➑️
How long does the mod take from shipping from my studio and back?
Thanks,
Matt
I'm usually booked about four weeks out. But folks generally keep their mics in-house until 4 or 5 days before their mod date then send them to me. Mics are modified on the day scheduled, burned-in for three days and return shipped by US Postal Service Priority Mail (US - 2/3 days) or International Express (5 business days), signature required for security. Meryl personally acknowledges all orders, receipt of mics and return shipments.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Meryl personally acknowledges all orders, receipt of mics and return shipments.
stikestikeFrom what I can tell, Meryl is the one that keeps MJ in line and on time!stikestike

hehheh
Old 19th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ha. So now you want me to buy a second mic to keep stock and run tests against it? ; )
Well, I can send you my NT1A if you want. I am not using it and won't be unless it becomes substantially more useable.

Then all you have to do is test it against one of your new mods. If the difference is between the stock and mod is impressive enough, the mic will already be in your hands for a mod heh . If not, you can send it back.

I tried to PM this to you, but it doesn't look like you have PM's enabled right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the offer, but I've already sold several NT1a mods and the mics are on their way to me, so I'll have both stock and mod'd versions here shortly.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi Michael

Are you offering a mod that doesnt replace the capsule?

I don't mind a bright mic. Just not THAT bright, if you know what I mean.
Already have mod 319's for the darker sound

The headbasket looks great
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the encouraging words, but I don't think I'll offer that.

My strategy is to offer and be known for a consistent "signature sound". In the case of large diaphragm condenser mics this means either the Oktava MK-219 /319 / 101 / 2500 capsule (I wish they had a model number for that thing) or my own MJE-K47 capsule as my core sound. So I want all mics I work on or release as new products to be consistent with these core sonic values. Keeping the stock NT1a capsule but modifying the headbasket would be an improvement, but not entirely consistent with my strategy.
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Michael_Joly;5002434] Interestingly, I just had a Stereo SP mic here and it had a single layer headbasket - stock from the factory.

What was you thought on the stereo SP mic? Did the guy having it modified put the MJE-47 capsules in it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Michael,

I have a question for you. I just got a Sterling Audio FET mic modded by you. It sounds awesome by the way. My question is, if I have you mod an Apex 460 for me, will it sound any different than my Sterling since it's a tube mic? If so, I'll move forward with my plan, if not, I'll save my money. heh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
That's pretty neat man. I bought an nt1a at the end of the summer. It's the most expensive mic I've bought yet (I know i know) but knowing there's a mod out there for it is pretty cool.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Does the NT1a have two layers of mesh? Could i take out a layer and would it improve the mic?

I may have mine upgraded when funds allow but i am looking for a temporary solution.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NT-2?

Will this mod work on an original NT-2? NOT the NT-2a

Here's a pic:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Michael:

I have an original pair of NT1's I'd be glad to send you for experimentation....
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've got a stereo pair of old school NT1s that i can't use for anything. I was thinking about buying a new pair of the new Mojave 201 fets, or even the MA200s, but if your modded NT1 sounds at all comparable to something of that quality i would be the happiest guy ever and would totally send you both of mine for the mod.

I cant wait to hear a sound sample against your 70's U87. Please post that soon. That is going to be the deciding factor for whether i need to add this mic to my arsenal before tracking the next project i'm working on.

Rock on Mike. Thanks for the good you do.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Cool Thread!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The NT1-A is a good low end mic. I found it's bright sound to be excellent for recording guitar cabs. All my other mic's which cost more than twice the price and over I prefer for every other application. Still I like the NT1-A for what it offers. No intrest in updating the mic. If you want a better Rode mic, get the K2, or Classic II. Rode has a distinct character in their mic's. If you change it to something else that does not sound like a Rode, you might as well buy a Blue, Telefunken, or Audio Tech mic instead. Sorry, just one person's opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=bee;5006931]
Quote:
Interestingly, I just had a Stereo SP mic here and it had a single layer headbasket - stock from the factory.

What was you thought on the stereo SP mic? Did the guy having it modified put the MJE-47 capsules in it?
I liked it quite well. Very clever mechanical design and excellent quality components throughout. Yes, it was in to get two MJE-K47 capsules. But I was so surprised to the see the single layer headbasket I asked the client if it came that way from the factory - it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTone ➑️
Michael,

I have a question for you. I just got a Sterling Audio FET mic modded by you. It sounds awesome by the way. My question is, if I have you mod an Apex 460 for me, will it sound any different than my Sterling since it's a tube mic? If so, I'll move forward with my plan, if not, I'll save my money. heh
Thanks. The heart of the mic, the capsule, would be the same - so the overal timbre balance of those two mics using the same capsule would be similar. But the two ciruits offer some hard-to-describe differences. I generally hear a good tube circuit with transformer-coupled output as having more "dimensionality" or "harmonic impact". Of course the 460 is a 9-pattern mic its got that going on as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by releaseyourself ➑️
Does the NT1a have two layers of mesh? Could i take out a layer and would it improve the mic?
I may have mine upgraded when funds allow but i am looking for a temporary solution.
The NT1a does have two layers of mesh. But the headbasket is attached to the inside lip of the body with epoxy. The only way to get it off is to push it in (after removing the PCB / capsule assembly) and physically break the epoxy seal. The headbasket gets trashed in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresstour ➑️
Will this mod work on an original NT-2? NOT the NT-2a
I'm not familiar with the NT-2, so I can't comment on it at this point. I don't know about its capsule or circuit. As the academics say "more research is required".

Thanks for the offer. I think I've got a n NT1 coming in from a local guy. Please email me in a week to see if that has happened or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Precision ➑️
I've got a stereo pair of old school NT1s that i can't use for anything. I was thinking about buying a new pair of the new Mojave 201 fets, or even the MA200s, but if your modded NT1 sounds at all comparable to something of that quality i would be the happiest guy ever and would totally send you both of mine for the mod.

I cant wait to hear a sound sample against your 70's U87. Please post that soon. That is going to be the deciding factor for whether i need to add this mic to my arsenal before tracking the next project i'm working on.

Rock on Mike. Thanks for the good you do.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Let's see how I make out with the local NT1. I wish I could post samples within a day a finishing mods but with my work load it takes me a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️
The NT1-A is a good low end mic. I found it's bright sound to be excellent for recording guitar cabs. All my other mic's which cost more than twice the price and over I prefer for every other application. Still I like the NT1-A for what it offers. No intrest in updating the mic. If you want a better Rode mic, get the K2, or Classic II. Rode has a distinct character in their mic's. If you change it to something else that does not sound like a Rode, you might as well buy a Blue, Telefunken, or Audio Tech mic instead. Sorry, just one person's opinion.
I hear you and can honor your opinion. I'm the last person that would try and convince a person to mod a mic that is working for them. But it seems that there are a lot of people who own and have shelved their NT1 and NT1a because it is too sibilant. As I said before, these this group of mic users, I believe it makes sense to invest a bit more in a mic that they already own to turn it into a go-to performer rather than a bench warmer or sell it at a loss. For folks who don't own one ...sure, there are lots of alternatives in the new mic market.
Old 24th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Head basket Mod

I'm looking for someone to just do the head basket mod... Anyone other than Michael doing these?
Old 25th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Michael_Joly;5008057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee ➑️

Thanks for the offer. I think I've got a n NT1 coming in from a local guy. Please email me in a week to see if that has happened or not.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Let's see how I make out with the local NT1. I wish I could post samples within a day a finishing mods but with my work load it takes me a bit longer.
I will send you my NT1 also. I love pushing vocals in the NT1 thru the Duet!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The local NT1 didn't work out, but I have another one on the way. Just want to work out the details on that mic before folks send me boxes of them. Just check my shop - if you see that I've updated the listing to say "NT1 and NT1a Mod" you'll be welcome to order and send it my way. thanks, M
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The local NT1 didn't work out, but I have another one on the way. Just want to work out the details on that mic before folks send me boxes of them. Just check my shop - if you see that I've updated the listing to say "NT1 and NT1a Mod" you'll be welcome to order and send it my way. thanks, M
This is a concerned and dedicated businessman folks.

Rock.
πŸ“ Reply