Quantcast
Married to a gearslut? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Married to a gearslut?
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Married to a gearslut?

Ok, this might not be right for the Geatslutz Forums, if not, I apologize in advance. Last night some friends and I were talking about how cool it would be if our girlfriends/wives were gearslutz, like ourselves. Imagine: "Honey while I was out shopping I picked up these great earrings, and I got a great deal on this Massive Passive!" I was wandering if anybody out there is living the dream. I think it would be great to marry a gearslut, or at least date a gearslut before my life is over. Since I'm male, and I'm straight, I don't meet that many candidates. So if you are living the dream, is it as cool as it seems, or is it not all that it is cracked up to be?

M-O-M.
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
My girlfriend is a singer/songwriter. She owns her own keyboards, amps, mics. When she heard what it did for her vocal tracks she went halfsies with me on a Fearn tube preamp.

The trouble is that she is also into photography/video and there is a lot of gear in that field as well.

The bottom line is that we are supportive of eachothers gearsluttiness.
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It can be pretty cool. I met my wife at the racetrack
when I was into another expensive gearslutz world.
She is willing to let me drool and occasionally feed
my habit. But I have to feed hers as well.

She doesn't drool over API or Massive Passive stuff,
but will buy stuff for the studio for Christmas.

Now if i could just develop some talent....
Old 25th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
While it's not even close my best friend is a girl who spins. We can go to Banjo Depot together and look around together.
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I guess I'm one of the fortunate few. A typical conversation with my girlfriend might start off with her saying: "You haven't gotten any cool gear lately. What do we need next?"

Over the years she bought me, as outright gifts, a BRC (back when I was using ADATs), a PreSonus ACP-8, a Finalizer, a custom made tube mic pre/di, and an Eventide Harmonizer 3500 custom loaded with the Broadcast and Sampling options. She also bought me an Aphex Aural Exciter w/Big Bottom just because of the name, hoping it would remind me of her every time I saw it in the rack. When I converted to ProTools she lent me $10,000 to help with the initial expenses. (I did pay her back...)

No, I'm not making any of this up!

And, no, I don't lend her out...

(...and, yes, she does have a sister, but they're quite different...)
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My wife is a songwriter/singer.

She is not too much into big expenses, but so far, she agrees with the gear I bought for the studio.

As we gonna have to make an album together this summer, we will chose a New mic for her ...

Elux 251, Brauner VM-1, M269,47-fet ... we don't know yet, but we will do a shootout together at a friend's shop very soon ...

Isn't it romantic heh

and yes she has a sister, but she's a nasty manipulative bitch

malice
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
'nother playin' writin' gal. At least she understands the need for the gear and gets into using it, but she's not exactly technical-minded or in the chips.
Still, the speakers stay where I put 'em and her pad and mine are set up primarily as music spaces, no arguments over interior decor at least!
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
My girlfriend is a lighting designer, so she understands the balance between gear and art. She's even given me things I needed/wanted, like a SM57 and my Tivoli radio, for christmas, and I didn't even have to ask for them! But only if she thinks I've had enough art to justify the gear. She also understands when I go through obsessions with bands, like my current obsession with Can - I think I've spent about $200 on vinyl and CDs of theirs in the past month or two. I have a feeling that Cabaret Voltaire will be next...

-Dave
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey mind over midi,

the name of your dreamgirl is Eveanna Manley.
and she can bring along some decent toys into your relationship !

yeeha
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
Hey mind over midi,

yeeha
Well, actually I'm trying to stay away from names of people who actually surf this web site. Tho Eveanna certainly qualifies as a "Dream Girl". Just would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable know what I mean?

M-O-M.
Old 26th May 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Maybe it's time for a new reality show, "The Bachelor" meets
"Jo(sephine) Millionare".

My better half puts up with me quite well, seeing me make a bit
fo money buying/selling stuff helps too.
Then again it's a diet of Shure's, EV's, and the like, not
251's/U47's.

Chris
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"I was wandering if anybody out there is living the dream. I think it would be great to marry a gearslut, or at least date a gearslut before my life is over. Since I'm male, and I'm straight, I don't meet that many candidates. So if you are living the dream, is it as cool as it seems, or is it not all that it is cracked up to be?"

If you say "living the dream" one more time, it might just come true!

All I can say is that if you have a stable, sane, healthy, loving, partner with a better ability to earn $$ than you, you got nothing to be jealous about.

Otherwise, well... you'd be lucky indeed to get any two or three of those really, gearslut communion is not everything by any means. Is it better to be understood, or able to pursue a sane balanced sustainable life together? Anybody who has all of the above, I'm jealous... in fact I'm getting jealous just about the sane balanced sustainable part, forget being understood... or sharing that elusive gearslut conjugal ecstacy!
Old 26th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
divorced a gear slut

good luck fella's
I married a gearslut
then divorced a gearslut
and lost half of my stuff
and the house
be careful
Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am.
Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well Gents,

I think I am living the dream. My fiance (soon to be married next may) is always by my side in sessions.

Actually, you can't really see her clearly but I posted some pictures of me tracking her on RECORDING ACOUSTIC GUITAR thread in HIGH END.

She's always eager to learn what it is I'm doing in the studio... I often recieve good suggestions from her point of view "hey baby, maybe a tad more attack on that 1176!"

good thread! heh

Jason
Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
Hey mind over midi,

yeeha
That would be like dating a girl that is taller than me. Maybe it's an ego thing, but I wouldn't like dating somebody who knew more about gear than me. I would feel inadequate.

Also, when you got in fights, instead of passive aggresive jabs, y ou could downtalk each other's gear...like "Yeah well at least I have a decent master clock on my DAW!"
Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is Eveanna Manley still single?
Old 26th October 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's an old girlfriend/songwriting partner of mine who's got a song on a #1 album in the US right right now. So, I've lived the gearslut/gearslut life.

I think I prefer the non-gearslut/gearslut life better. I can set up my system the way I want and no one messes with it. My non-gearslut wife is fine with it.

We live at the beach and lots of our friends have boats. There's not an audio gearslut on the planet that can compare to boat gearslutz and the money some of these guys can drop on boats, maintenance and dock fees.

My wife and I have a deal; As long as I never bring up buying a boat, I can have as much audio gear as I want.
Old 26th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dot
As long as I never bring up buying a boat, I can have as much audio gear as I want.
I got you beat. My girlfriend loves buying me gear, and we've had our boat for four years.
Old 26th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey LD,
I'm gonna mess you guys up and suggest somebody build an analogue studio in a big, old, wooden sailing ship and hire it out as a residential. I'm talking mucho dinero (and a lot of American money as well). You could float it to what ever city the clients wanted to hang out in, or make a journey during the session dates. Boat GearSlutz meets audio GearSlutz. David
Old 26th October 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My wife bought me an SG with P-90 pickups for Christmas last year. She's not a gearslut, but she sure is gear-friendly!thumbsup

I always take her gear shopping with me because the salesmen always want to give HER the good deals. Helps with iffy returns too.

She's great -- hasn't given me any grief at all about my purchases; then again, I deliberate forever, do massive shootouts, and only buy incredible **** that does at least triple-duty and pays me back many times over. She helps decide on the shootout winners too (good ear and loves a bargain more than I do). Plus, she hates to shop for clothes! I win.
Old 27th October 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by malice

and yes she has a sister, but she's a nasty manipulative bitch

malice
Wow. Can't imagine what the mother in law is like
Old 27th October 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hehe, My Girlfriend of 9 years can "talk shop" better than most AE's I hang with. We usualy celebrate when I get a new cool piece of gear by doing a "happy dance" (hold your dirty thoughts)... tutt
Plus she's a singer/songwriter who loves to record her own stuff!!
AND, she doesn't believe in marriage so its a win/win deal!
Plus I've made a nice little living with the cool gear ,so we can travel and live "comfortably".

Life is good. thumbsup

ERic
πŸ“ Reply