Quantcast
Favorite Guitars? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite Guitars?
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Favorite Guitars?

What are some of favorite guitars among the players on Gearslutz? I know there are alot of guitarists here.

I was trying out a Carvin X100B amp/cab yesterday, and I used the seller's Carvin piece-of-crap guitar first. When I switched to his American Strat, the difference was absolutely night and day. Still, it didn't save the amp from sounding like ass.

I have a late 80's Gibson Epiphone that I won in a contest. I remember it sounding really good, although it needs a checkup and some surgery nowadays. I have access to a '62(?) SG Re-issue that's rocks pretty hard, and a mediocre late 80's $600 Ibanez thin guitar, but I'm looking to bolster my lineup.

The Strat I played yesterday was a must have tone for me, but not the only one I'd want. Les Paul's, Tele's, and Jag's also come to mind but what do you slutz like and why?

What's a great bang for the buck guitar? I can go up to $1000 if it's worth it, but I'd like to stay down around $500-800.
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You could perhaps pick up a S/H PRS McCarty Soapbar for that cash (just!!) and I find it the most useful guitar I've ever owned. If I'm ever going to take just one guitar to a session, that's the one - it cover so many bases beautifully.
Old 24th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
You can't go too wrong with a good Tele. I really miss the one that I sold. I had a Duncan Alnico II in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. Bummer. Les Pauls are great too, if your making a rock record you can probably cover 85% of the sounds you want with those two guitars.

For new guitars I'm way into Hamer and Schecter. They make great guitars that aren't stupidly expensive. Though if I could only own one guitar it would probably be a PRS Swamp Ash Special or something very similar. Everytime I play one of those I have no problems getting all the tones I want to hear plus they play great. I doubt you could find one for $1K though. Rather then getting a $500 axe with a bunch of weird electronics and stuff you should look for a cheaper, well made guitar and upgrade the pickups later. Something like a Mexican Strat with Duncans would hang with the American made stuff and be a bit cheaper.
Old 24th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Jax,

Hey Austin! If you are looking for the Strat thing here is one way to go. I recently picked up a nice Mexi Strat over at Austin Vintage Guitar and had the Custom Shop put in a set of Rio Grand PUs and I have a great sounding/playing Strat for less than $600 bucks.
I still use my Frankentele - a '73 Tele Thin Line (semi-hollow, two humbuckers and a single coil added later) for 80% of my tracking. It was my 1st guitar and nothing beats it. I use a weird pawn shop ES 335 that I play on stage for the other 20%.
I have the Tele, the Strat, the 335 and a Les Paul and haven't been stuped for a tone yet.

Yet still, I lust for a PRS.....
Old 24th May 2003
Founder

Les Pauls and Tele's Strats make me gag most times....
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yikes! LP's, Teles and Strats make the TRACK most times...in the right pair of hands.

We use:

1985 MIJ Fender Esquire w/Alnico Pro II pickups...ultra Twang

1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster Custom (bound sunburst) w/the same pickups...Mike Campbell approved

MIM Fender Strat w/EMG/Gilmour setup

Cheap ($200) MIK Gretsch Electromatic that looks like a Duo Jet and sounds Gretsch-y...GC has them on blowout usually.

Reissue Danelectro single lipstick pickup strung with a wound G for big rhythm stuff (a Richard Bennett trick)

Gibson ES-350T w/Bigsby...my favorite

Gibson L-5 Custom George Gobel w/flatwounds (for Swing/Jazzy stuff)...smooth as silk

That usually covers what we need. Not a big fan of PRS, never heard much "personality" from them. If I want a Les Paul copy, I'd get the Les Paul. I used to work for Gibson, so I am a bit biased.

Acoustics are Collings, Gibson, Epiphone, Taylor and a Nashville Tuning import made by Landola in Finland.

The Teles get used the most, but I AM in Nashville!!
Old 24th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
G&L ASAT (Leo Fender post-Fender and Music Man) with the fat single coils. Tele-ish but a little thicker, less ice-picky on higher gain parts.

Real Teles are great, too, of course.

I agree on the Hamers, also. I've had one of their Les Paul copies for about 10 years (my first "real" guitar), and I still use it all the time.

PRS are amazingly well-constructed, but they sound a little sterile to me. I know some people get amazing sounds out of them, though.
Old 24th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
american strat/kinman pickups

I've got American Strat with kinamn pickups that gives me a great pallet of sounds and is nice and quiet for recording. Run through my fender deluxe reverb it sounds great.
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
You're an odd cat Jules. My fav guitar is a Fender '62 Tele Custom. I own an assortment of Teles/Strats. My next guitar purchase will prolly be one of the Gibson Firebird reissues.
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fender Esquire. Can do anything!
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My weapon is a 73 Tele Deluxe... i couldnt imagine living without it... its the one thing i would run into the burning house to retrieve! ..

I used to have an awesome 1960 Gibson 'Country & Western' accoustic that was like no other gtr i have ever heard... but it was stolen along with all my other gtrs a few yrs ago when my house got done over..... all i can say is that who ever stole them is gona burn in hell cos that sorta **** is BAD KARMA!!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite Guitars?-telecaster-crop.jpg  
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I like sounding different...

In January I got this Gretsch Nashville. It is a Brian Setzer sig. series and I got it for the tone, looks, and the sperzels. This thing has the most balanced articulate crunch I have heard. You hear every note, it cuts like a fender (I used ot be a strat guy) but has more body(even when bright) and more "USEABLE" tone variations. I love making it ear bleeding bright/loud and sticking a L.D. mic on it. Maybe I should get a ribbon sooner than later and try it.

Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wiggy, you’ve got good taste - that’s a Keef geetar!

Got a few of β€˜em myself.
Old 25th May 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jax, if you're looking for some guitars for recording, you could actually get several for $1000 by http://www.jayturser.com/ I've played several of their guitars and they are excellent. I've seen some really seasoned session players get blown away by the $199 Strat. Most of their guitars go for $200 - $300. You could get a Strat, Tele and a 335-type hollow body all for well under a grand.
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
tele deluxe in the house....

got a black 72 i picked up years ago in a pawnshop in lawton, OK...was virtually unplayed then, now i've beat the crap out of it and it sounds better than ever...

don't ya just love how you can transpose the tuning of the guitar just by moving the neck up or down....

that one gets pulled off the wall during more sessions than any other except for maybe my danolectric longhorn 6 string(not a bass or guitarlin...i've only seen 2).
Old 25th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
The last guitar I bought was a PRS Santana import. I got it used from GC for $225 or $250 about a year ago. It's trans red, has the stop tailpiece and is a bitchin' guitar for such a small amount of money.

Are there any P-90 fans in here? I just saw the new Gibson LP Junior in the AMS catalog. The classic shape in either cherry or TV Yellow for $599!!! ****ing great! I can't wait to actually play one, chances are pretty good that it'll be coming home with me.
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If any of you are into Les Pauls, you should seriously check out the guitar I have for sale in the classifieds section. I promise that your jaws will drop ;-)

As for my favorites- that LP is one of them but I'm really barely playing electric myself anymore and what I do on electric usually calls for a fendery instrument. But for sheer rock madness, that guitar is the one to beat.

My two favorite guitars right now in my acoustic stable are a Goodall Pacific Parlor (ask Chap- I think he has one. INSANE guitar that redefined my thoughts about what a good acoustic should be) and my tried and true Taylor 810CE that has taken a world of abuse and kept on shining. That guitar is responsible for just about every song that I've written. Between the two of those guitars, I'm pretty sure every GOOD song I've written. ;-)
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My G&L Z3 thinline will probably be the last guitar I buy. Went through a few different guitars before this one. Its a bit sad, now I go into guitar shops and I am bored..

Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I understand the comments about some PRS guitars sounding a bit sterile, like the Customs, but that does NOT apply to the McCarty series (thicker body etc) especially not the P90 models. They are amazingly versatile guitars, and better made than anything I have ever used apart from possibly Tom Andersons.

I used to have a deal with G+L, and at one time owned five ASATs of different types. I liked them, but they were just a little brittle sounding to me. I also used a few Musicman guitars at one time (and the Axis Sport with P90s is a fantastic guitar in the studio) but if I had bought a McCarty years ago I'd have saved a lot of tme and hassle (and money!) trying to find the ideal guitar. When I got my first PRS, I had four Les Pauls - now I don't own any. Build quality and consistency on modern Gibsons leaves a hell of a lot to be desired nowadays.

Jules, I'm curious. What do you like?
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I am playing guitar on the session:

I reach for a tele...if it doesn't sound right on either of the two telecasters, I reach for a strat...if it doesn't sound right on the teles or the strat, it doesn't need to be tracked...
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
The last guitar I bought was a PRS Santana import. I got it used from GC for $225 or $250 about a year ago. It's trans red, has the stop tailpiece and is a bitchin' guitar for such a small amount of money.

Are there any P-90 fans in here? I just saw the new Gibson LP Junior in the AMS catalog. The classic shape in either cherry or TV Yellow for $599!!! ****ing great! I can't wait to actually play one, chances are pretty good that it'll be coming home with me.
Yeah, I love P90's.

And these are a few of my favorite things.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite Guitars?-collectionsmall.jpg  
Old 26th May 2003
Founder

I think I have been misunderstood (via hasty typing)

I LIKE Les Pauls & Tele's

I am not too fond of Strats at all... There never seems enough room to give the strings a good smack without whacking your knuckles on the pick guard or enough 'twang' space for the strings to vibrate when you have hit em.. tutt

I own a Les Paul, an ex skipped off with "our" Tele.. a few years back.. (boo hoo!)

Wants

Gibson - Melody Maker, Le Paul Junior double cut away w P90, 335
Fender - Tele
Dan Amstrong - Plexiglass - just for fun..

How to instantly depress Jules, turn up to a session with a Start and a Pod dfegad
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by StuartMac
I understand the comments about some PRS guitars sounding a bit sterile, like the Customs, but that does NOT apply to the McCarty series (thicker body etc) especially not the P90 models.
I haven't tried the McCartys, but they do look really cool--more of a "classic" design than the standard PRS.

Thumbs up on P90's, too. Sometimes I think they're really the way to go for recording Les Paul-ish rhythm parts--like they've already gotten rid of the woofy humbucker low end that you'd normally have to HPF out.
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
P-90's are the way to go. They are particularly wonderful on mid-50's LP Customs.

The large single coils on Jazzmasters are also great for loud chords.
Old 26th May 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
I've always found it ironic that Jimmy Page sold more Les Pauls while playing a Telecaster than anyone alive...

With that said... my two favorite weapons of mass convulsions are a 70's Telecaster Custom... and the mid 70's Gibson version of one called a "Marauder"... If you can't make a record with those... then you'll need a Gibson 335 and Gretch 'Country Gentleman'.
Old 26th May 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
I have a 1954 ES-125 with a P-90 in the neck (no bridge pickup) that can do almost anything (you can even mic. it like an acoustic, nice doubling touch). I like gretsch pickups. I like tele pickups.
I like to play classical guitars cause I'm really a bass player.
I get really excited when someone plays any kind of guitar and shows me something new or shows me how it's done for real.
Old 26th May 2003
Don
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Strat American {with EMG's..its good and bad}..'96 Les Paul Jr. with 90's..and a Hamer slammer{with Duncans} that does the Les Paul thing pretty well and it was cheap 300.00..Need a Tele I love the neck sound for clean ryth!
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the 1956 Fender Strat. If you can't get your hands on one then I suggest the G&L George Fullerton.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Jax,

Just so you know; there is an Eric Clapton Strat pickguard w/all the electronics (ready to drop into any stratocaster) on ebay for $200 right now. I was thinking of getting it as a backup, but thought that I'd mention it to a fella in a 'needier' position.
The unit is complete and unused.

Just drop it into a nice playing strat and you are good to go! Score a nice Mexi-Strat and it's a done deal.

E.C. Strat guard
I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to load up a strat with alternate electronics, but if it's simple, it's something I might consider. If it means finding a tech to score out the job, plus getting a Mexi-strat, I think the cost might get a little obnoxious.

I like the idea, but can you tell me how this would be done?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dot
Jax, if you're looking for some guitars for recording, you could actually get several for $1000 by http://www.jayturser.com/ I've played several of their guitars and they are excellent. I've seen some really seasoned session players get blown away by the $199 Strat. Most of their guitars go for $200 - $300. You could get a Strat, Tele and a 335-type hollow body all for well under a grand.
Dot, now that's a damn good idea, as long as the gits are up to snuff as you say. For some reason, getting a Les-Paul variation has captured my imagination right now, so I might start out with one of those. If it impresses me, I'd probably drop the rest of my dough into a strat and a tele. Btw, their basses look good, too. Especially the P and Jazz Bass knock-offs. Cheap, too!

Did you take a gander at their 'Future' guitars? Wierd stuff!
πŸ“ Reply