Favorite Guitars? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite Guitars?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
You can't go too wrong with a good Tele. I really miss the one that I sold. I had a Duncan Alnico II in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. Bummer. Les Pauls are great too, if your making a rock record you can probably cover 85% of the sounds you want with those two guitars.

For new guitars I'm way into Hamer and Schecter....
Yeah, I'm coming to the realization that I don't really want to try and get by with mediocre, mid and low line guitars from years back anymore. The big 3 are definitely strat, tele, and les paul. They'll be making their way into my joint over the course of the year.

Last week when I went to Player Guitars in San Rafael (very cool hole in the wall git/amp shop), I told the proprietor what I was looking for. For comparison to my guitarist's Ibanez, he took down a Hamer, plugged it into a 70's SF Twin Reverb (no master volume and he was asking $750!!!), and played chords on it that I didn't know existed, all while embellishing upon the chords. I'm not a guitarist, but I'm decent enough at it to compose with one. The Hamer sounded extremely good and was an unexpected surprise. In his hands it was clear and articulate, every note in a full 6 string chord chiming through brilliantly. The only possible drawback I heard was that the Hamer was nearly sterile sounding. It didn't seem to offer up much personality. If I'm looking for good tracking/jamming guitars, I want personality.

More on the topic, there's bit of dick-wagging with personal collections in this thread. I'm looking more for suggestions in the vein of what I asked for in my first post, so whoever has some, I'm all ears (eyes). The jayturser suggestion is a good one, and the clapton strat thing sounds cool, too. The guitars some of you have are VF cool, though.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Swingin' Dick?

Quote:
What are some of favorite guitars among the players on Gearslutz?
That's one question you asked that I had an answer for.

Quote:
What's a great bang for the buck guitar?
That's the other question you asked that I had an answer for.

So I guess I swung my dick AND answered your questions. Cool.
Old 26th May 2003
hrn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My experiences and favs from what I've tried.

65 Strat, rosewood. sounded like Hendrix whatever was played on it.

74 Les Paul Deluxe, with the small humbuckers. A sound not "to fat" as I think the big humbuckers can sound.

73 Strat, maple neck. Pure rock, heavy or screaming

Guess 70's Hondo/BC Rich, maple neck straight through the body, very heavy/massive with one single and one humbucker, Di Marzio's I think with high outputs. Pure power. Use it for slide. Bought it for nothing. A rhythm instrument. Looks like a grown up SG...more meat on the body.

Ibanez builds very good instruments with a great sound..Not my way to go though..I want the guitar to have a sex...they don't!

...A Les Paul Standard and a Marshall stack are impressive....But, I think I go for the Fenders with a Mesa or Fender combo.

Hans
www.hagen.nu
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For basses on a modest- there is no way to beat the Schecter Model T. It's absolutely the best P/J type bass for under 2 grand. Everything I compare it to, even some Laklands, etc. pale in comparison to this sweet, sweet bass. I'm sure they can be had for 350 used or less- I got mine for 400 at Guitar Center. The only alternative is Reverend guitars.

For guitars- Reverend all the way. Tons of character, extremely well built, will do anything you ask them to do. Fender on steroids. Just great guitars at EXTREMELY reasonable prices. Not cheap- reasonable. And for that matter, their amps are quite good too albeit not my cup of tea. Other choices are the Yamaha AEG800 guitars and some of their other axes. They make super crisp sounding guitars that I really like. I've got one.
Old 26th May 2003
hrn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For basses, I don't think anything can beat a...let's say my 74 Precision rosewood neck Fender. If you want a wild animal to tame, get a Rickenbacker 70's 4001. Old Musicman's are also great and if you're looking for a 5-string, they are the best I think, the model with the one big mic.

The Gibson Thunderbird has a unique and nice sound, but it is like hell to play having it on your shoulders, so heavy towards the neck that you have to lift the neck up at the same time you're playing....Not a good design, but a great sound!! And very playable...nice neck..sitting.....The microphones tends to feedback too if you don't put something between them and the body.

Don't like: Active electronics...It's like driving a car without feeling the front wheels touching the ground. Just terrible if you want the playing to be dynamic.

Hans
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Amen. Active electronics are the devil.

BTW- if anyone wants a Music Man 5, I've got one for sale. :-)

And yeah- those 70s fenders are just insane. But they're also going for crazy prices these days.
Old 26th May 2003
hrn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BattleAngel
The one with the big mic and the switch?
Hans
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if by mic you mean pickup, yeah! Perloid guard, and a big selector for the coils.
Old 26th May 2003
hrn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BattleAngel
Do you have any price idea? Send me a mail. [email protected]

Hans
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Yeah, I'm coming to the realization that I don't really want to try and get by with mediocre, mid and low line guitars from years back anymore. The big 3 are definitely strat, tele, and les paul.
Look at the mexican strats and teles, and the LP studio models.

Quote:

Last week when I went to Player Guitars in San Rafael (very cool hole in the wall git/amp shop), I told the proprietor what I was looking for. For comparison to my guitarist's Ibanez, he took down a Hamer, plugged it into a 70's SF Twin Reverb (no master volume and he was asking $750!!!), and played chords on it that I didn't know existed, all while embellishing upon the chords. I'm not a guitarist, but I'm decent enough at it to compose with one. The Hamer sounded extremely good and was an unexpected surprise. In his hands it was clear and articulate, every note in a full 6 string chord chiming through brilliantly. The only possible drawback I heard was that the Hamer was nearly sterile sounding. It didn't seem to offer up much personality. If I'm looking for good tracking/jamming guitars, I want personality.
Some of the hamers are great. some suck. Same with the current Deans.

Quote:

More on the topic, there's bit of dick-wagging with personal collections in this thread. I'm looking more for suggestions in the vein of what I asked for in my first post, so whoever has some, I'm all ears (eyes). The jayturser suggestion is a good one, and the clapton strat thing sounds cool, too. The guitars some of you have are VF cool, though.
Sorry if it came off that way. If you look close, you'll find that the precision is a Squire, the strat is a mongrel, and there are things about most of the guitars that decreased the market value, without hurting playability.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
After playing for over 40 yrs, I don't really have an allegiance to one particular make.............between my son and I we have a number of good acoustics. He has a LP Std and an SG (which was originally mine), I have a Strat, Tele Plus, a Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro and an Epi Sheraton.

The latest acquisition was a "special" we gave our son for his 21st a month or so back............
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite Guitars?-jw2-6-12-005.jpg  
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh my god!

and you can even use this guitar to store things INSIDE the body ...because the hole is NOT COVERED by the strings

and say you loose the pick while playing live, no problem! just insert your hand in the hole, get another one (you store them there) and go on playing
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I am a bit suprised, seems like only "traditional" people are here. Strat here, Les Paul there.
My favourite brand is Jackson. I guess my musical background makes it the best choice. And besides that i think Gibsons are way overpriced, at least for a poor student like me. And i am not to fond of paying a nice amount just for the name.

But after all it's a question of personal taste. I just think that some so called vintage gear is heavily overpriced. But if you really want this gear i guess you don't have a choice.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BattleAngel
Amen. Active electronics are the devil.

BTW- if anyone wants a Music Man 5, I've got one for sale. :-)

And yeah- those 70s fenders are just insane. But they're also going for crazy prices these days.
Hey BA and hrn, can you go into more detail about why you think active electonics suck? I'm seriously considering the Clapton set that Kent mentioned, which uses a 9V battery.

For that matter, Kent, have you or any of the people you mentioned who recorded with your Clapton strat had any complaints or comments regarding active electronics.. especially with the strat in question?

Hey Dot! I found a jayturser dealer just down the street from my house (Panhandle Guitars). I'm going to try out some of their stuff today. Wondering if they'll sell just the strat body to drop the Clapton thing into. We shall see. I might be quite a bit poorer by the end of the day. heh
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
You can't go too wrong with a good Tele. I really miss the one that I sold. I had a Duncan Alnico II in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. Bummer. Les Pauls are great too, if your making a rock record you can probably cover 85% of the sounds you want with those two guitars.
I just now found a Duncan '59 pickup, asking $40. What's the deal with these? Would this thing be a re-issue, or are they no longer made (as in: it's from 1959, man)?

Should I snap it up?
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
many opinions = many guitars

By the looks of all the posts, it would seem as if there is no one guitar that does it all.
That's why I have somewhere around 60 or so.
I have all the strats and teles and Les Pauls (one is a gift from Les and Gibson) that people might ask me to play. Then I have my freaky favorites
like the Rick Turner series with Teiscos and Horshoe pickups. A bunch of custom made one offs and some nice boutique (Goodall, Lowden) acoustics to compliment the old Gibsons and Nationals.
Lately I've been reaching for a 63 Gretch Tennessean. I'm guessing that I'm not done yet.
cheers,
chap
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jackson...the Duncan you're describing is made by Seymour and is an authentic replication of a 59 Gibson humbucker...he uses the same materials they used in 59, and he winds them the same. They are fairly faithful reproductions of the original pickup.The price is ok, not spectacular.

The best VALUE in Stratocasters these days are the older(early 80's) Japanese models. I have a first year Jap Strat that is so faithfully reproduced from a 1962 Strat, that i was able to sell my 'L' series Strat with no hesitation.This thing is even aging much like the old ones do.Its stock and I'd do a session on any of ya'lls gear with no hesitation.I have owned 12 different Strats over the years and have experienced tthe highs and lows of these things, and this one is exceptional as are all of the models of the same era and making.The Japs just got it right at the beginning.Every one I've seen or played has been quite good.

I also have a Frankenstrat....ie Chandler body.Boogie neck.Emg plate.Gotoh tuners. It sounds great and plays even better. Very quiet for recording. I use it primarily for slide.

Then theres the 65 Jaguar. I beautiful guitar.Very versatile tone variations.The action is so good and so low you can put 13's on it and get no buzz. This is the main recording guitar here.

We also have the early 70's Tele Custom..P90 soapbar,and duncan bridge..Switched for variety and snappy as hell. Weighs 5 pounds.

Theres a very early 60's SG Junior...very slick neck..one P90

We have a 3/4 scale solid body Richenbacker guitar.

Theres the home-made guitar with the Duncans or the Schecter p/u's, the one piece rosewood neck, and a great divebombing kind of tailpiece...

For acoustics we use, Taylor, Ibanez,An old lawsuit Alvarez,(martin co. didnt like the fact it was identical to a D-28)

For basses....usually we only record the one bass....1965 P-bass completely stock and original...Theres simply no need for anything else....We do have at disposal, Ibanez Musician(Stings bass in th Police w/frets)
Gibson Reverse Firebird V
Yamaha 5 string...active electronics late 80's vintage
Martin acoustic bass
Fender 1956 P-bass(original and stock...very noisey and cool)
Lately we've borrowed a Jap Fender Bass VI...this is an incredible instrument to play...like a big guitar but its a bass.You can see lots of pictures of one of these in Beatles memorabillia...usually when John played bass.....

Jax, theres been a lot of good suggestions as far as guitars to inhabit your recording area...You cannot go wrong with the Japanese Fenders.They are a cut above the Mexican models as far as quality in finish and construction goes.And the p/us are a bit better.Recently I played one of the new Epiphone/Gibson Les Paul copys and was surprised at how well it played and how balanced it sounded.And how cheap it was.
And theres nothing more fun that used Guitar shopping...PLAY EM ALL!!!
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I find the new Danelectros to be pretty damn great for the money. I picked up a Hodad (surfy lookin one, with lipstick humbuckers) for under a $100 and I use it all the time. I also have several friends that use the Dano U2 and get great tones out of them (completely different musical styles too). Cheap and versatile.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a report from the front

Plenty of great suggestions here. Thanks, my people.

The jayturser guitars were as promised. Very good all around. I'll go from least impressive to most: (note - on all guitars, the strings were light. I suspect the tone would have changed a bit with better and heavier strings)

- The tele was slightly disappointing, but still good. It didn't sound enough like a tele to make me want it. The pickup selector was also scratchy, and this is on a brand new guitar?! Still, it had a very usable tone, tele-like, with a very good midrange bite. When played overdriven through an impressive little 15w Johnson amp in the store, it definitely would have worked in a rock track. For $200, I might pick one up eventually, but not before the next two.

- The strat. Now this was an interesting guitar. Played fairly well, but the frets felt a little rough... like they weren't finished enough to be totally smooth.. but close. It gave enough strat tone and twang, but didn't sound like most other strats I've heard. It sounded clearer than most, although like the tele, it didn't sound completely strat-like. I liked that it sounded a little unique. A really good guitar for $200. Makes me want to try their mid-level strat and see what the quality jump is.

- Ahh. my favorite of the day: the ES-335 knockoff. Wow! They got this thing right! Chords were... what can I say.. they were beautiful. The 335 sounded very close to the guitar it was meant to represent, more than the tele and the strat did, but still had its own thing happenin'. Only two things are keeping me from grabbing one of these right now: first, just bought a seymour duncan convertible off ebay; second, the turser les pauls sell out every time he gets them in... must be something to 'em. The turser ES-335 is a total bargain at, not-coincidentally, $335.

Still planning a way to drop the Clapton electronics into a strat, but I think I'll look for a jap or mexi as of what I've learned from this thread. I might just drop it into a turser strat, though. For $200, I can take a loss if the Clapton stuff sounds better in a different strat.
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
wow; now, i feel like a freak.
my faves:
electrics: teuffel tesla 6-strings w/p90's, klein custom, '65 mustang, '65 kapa continental (hofner pickups), LP's w/p90's, anything by saul koll, nearly all g & l's, reverends
acoustics: Ithaca Stringed Instruments, National 1155, National single-cone, Klein jumbo, fadhel 'bashir'-style oud

anyways, after the 'feel' of the gtr, i think it's truly the *amp* that's the determining sonic factor!
hmmm.....
spltrcl
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Dick Waggin...

Here's a pick of the finest strat I've ever had the pleasure of laying my fingers on... My buddy is days away from making a big mistake and selling it over ebay...hence the pics...

It's a 54 body with a 55 neck... you can pluck a string and stick your ear on the body and it will resonate for ever!

Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Infernal_Death
I am a bit suprised, seems like only "traditional" people are here. Strat here, Les Paul there.
My favourite brand is Jackson. I guess my musical background makes it the best choice. And besides that i think Gibsons are way overpriced, at least for a poor student like me. And i am not to fond of paying a nice amount just for the name.

But after all it's a question of personal taste. I just think that some so called vintage gear is heavily overpriced. But if you really want this gear i guess you don't have a choice.
Most Jacksons fall into the Strat category, except the ones that fall into the "ugly pointy shredsticks" category.

Seems like every company has made a strat, even gibson, most have made les pauls, see the set neck teles.

Yes new Gibson prices are out of hand, but so are new prices on most guitars. IMO there isn't a solidbody made that's really worth more than $600 or so.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Hey BA and hrn, can you go into more detail about why you think active electonics suck?
It's one of those things that doesn't seem to have a reason. Active stuff in the guitar seems like a cool idea, but Very few people I know like any of the manifestations. Some people seem to like active basses better, but there are only one or two that work for me.

Quote:
Hey Dot! I found a jayturser dealer just down the street from my house (Panhandle Guitars). I'm going to try out some of their stuff today. Wondering if they'll sell just the strat body to drop the Clapton thing into. We shall see. I might be quite a bit poorer by the end of the day. heh
The Turser stuff I've seen is pretty decent, but no better or less expensive than several other brands of knockoffs. Keep an open mind.
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
as a longtime fulltime gtrst:
when it comes to 'vintage' gtrs (strats, teles, lp's, etc), i generally think that most of 'em --- even most of the rather expensive ones --- are inferior instruments that just happen to have become emblems/icons of someone's halcyon musical days;
granted, there are some great ones, but not that many.
(give me *any* tokai strat over any fender, pls).
the art of guitarmaking is at an all time high, as -unfortunately- is the fetishism surrounding 'vintage' instruments.

brilliant working luthiers w/innovative streaks like ulli teuffel, steve klein, ned steinberger, saul koll, gene baker, lorenzo german, rick turner, eric aceto, tv jones, claudio pagelli, etc etc etc etc have an awfully hard time of creating/maintaining brand-name status (and their survival) while confronted w/this quasi- status quo that lionises only what's previously been done.....

just a ranty l'il thought, tha's all.....
best,
dt / spltrcl
Old 28th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Let me diffuse a few issues about "active pickups"

You will change you strings far more often than the battery.

The battery dies away gradually not suddenly.

You will have even string volume across all strings.

Best choice if you run through a series of pedals or rack effects.

and if your worried about tone I've got two words for you..

David Gilmore.

sorry I had to chime in, I was Sales Manager at EMG for 5 years and learned quite a bit from Rob Turner...

Thanks

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Screw it! Let's see some collections or single porn shots of favorite guitars. I'll learn just as much from that as I will from bargain hunting. Forget what I said about dick waggin.

heh
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic dogg
The best VALUE in Stratocasters these days are the older(early 80's) Japanese models....
The Japs just got it right at the beginning.Every one I've seen or played has been quite good.

You cannot go wrong with the Japanese Fenders.They are a cut above the Mexican models as far as quality in finish and construction goes.And the p/us are a bit better.
I don't know why everything I'm looking for keeps showing up on the local community webiste FOR SALE lately, but it's a good rut to be in. There's an '87 MIJ strat for $350, said to be in excellent condition.

Is this a deal, or is the year of its vintage too late?
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Favorite guitars? I've never liked or owned a Stratocaster, except for the Fender Stratocaster XII 12-string that I used like a lap steel with a pieces of metal placed on the neck to form multiple koto-style bridges, obviously with a very non-standard 12-string tuning. My main guitars are the ever obscure G&L SC-1. (see http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/ARTISTS/BOS.php3 for that story). The finest electric guitar ever for what I do. I went through a phase in the late 1970's of only playing Les Paul Deluxes, then only Les Paul Junior Double Cutways (Non-SG style). Now, in addition to several SC-1's (some of which have been customized) I use two Tokai Talbo Blazing Fires, a 1954 National Town 'N Country solid body, a Gibson ES-135 (acquired when they were first issued, I think in the late 1980's, and a few others, mostly inexpensive but appropriate, like my recent Epiphone Les Paul with two P-90's and a Bigsby. More at the soon to be revised
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/586/

-Robert Poss
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Jax...If its got a hardshell case and it plays well, then that is a slightly better than average price for that particular guitar. If you get a chance to hold a MIJ next to a MIM Fender you'll see the little differences I'm talking about.In retro, If you hold a MIJ from the first couple of years next to a Fender American made of the same era, the MIJ will always have a better look as far as finish, will generally play better and will cost (now) a third as much. Fender realized this after a couple of years and the Custom Shop was born.
Old 29th May 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic dogg
Jackson...the Duncan you're describing is made by Seymour and is an authentic replication of a 59 Gibson humbucker...he uses the same materials they used in 59, and he winds them the same. They are fairly faithful reproductions of the original pickup.The price is ok, not spectacular.
The '59 is the machine made replica. Well, not entirely machine made but the Seth Lover and Antiquity pickups are the real deals. They cost more and aren't potted (though the Seth Lovers might be) like the '59 is. I'm an ex-Duncan rep and have been using their pickups for about 12 years, since way before I ever started repping them. I'd say that $40 is about average for a used pickup, they go for about $65-75 new and not many people sell used pickups.

BTW, does anyone know if someone makes a P-90 in a single coil housing? I've seen plenty of humbuckers like the mini-59's but I want a P-90 for my Strat without carving up the guitar and the pickguard.
πŸ“ Reply