The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Music Production Books?
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Best Music Production Books?

Hey guys,

Couldn't really find many useful threads already posted about this.

I got some book vouchers over xmas and I was thinking about buying books that may be helpful insights into studio work. It would be really helpful if you guys could recommend some good books that you found useful and insightful, anything offering techniques, tips and tricks. I'd really love a book that had interviews with well known producers/engineers or at least explained in detail the workflow of them.

Also, the only other criteria I have is that it be moderately up-to-date. In this fast moving, ever-deleloping digital era, things can become slightly outdated.

Many thanks guys,
Steve.
Old 9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds ➑️
Thanks!

I should also highlight, I'm not really looking for 'beginner' books. I am more into seeing how other well known's work.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do you mean how other people's work was made?

I'm not really a book reader, but I've picked up tonnes of stuff flicking through this forum about how record X and Y were made. The Michael Jackson records are good examples - Bruce Swedien who produced them is a member on this forum and seems more than willing to talk about every aspect of his recording methods.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not sure if.. one book can do it all? Right now I'm reading a lot of books, magazine articles, blog posts, podcasts, and whatever.. and so I kinda build up ideas from all that stuff.

On books, my favorite book so far is Mixing audio concepts, practices and tools from Roey Izhaki.. and focal press..

Most of the mixing books I've read have been pre computer, or at least pre modern computer.. and this is a book that really kind deep dives into a lot of it.. I just think its the best of them.. but there's a couple others that I think are good to in different ways.

I'm reading.. I believe it's something like Mastering Audio from Bob from Bob Katz. I've always sorta loathed the cover of the book.. but turns out the content is quite good.. it's very technical.. of course on the subject of mastering.. but.. this is information we probably all need.. or a lot of it is.. and um.. well it's definitely on the technically challenging side.

Another book I'm reading right now is Behind the Glass.. interviews with producers.. who've made a lot of hit records I guess.. its good stuff.. there's two editions now.. or like a sequel just came out.. the first volume, the one I'm reading, is very dated.. producers give you advice that probably made sense in the market place of the time.. but probably not so much today.. and all that kinda thing... i imagine the new one is not so dated?

It's not a book, its a DVD.. but I bought it from Amazon.. is Charles Dye's Mix it like a Record. From what your asking for, I think this one hits it squarely on the mark. He was the first guy to win a grammy from mixing an album entirely in the box.. and he takes you step by step through a process of mixing a song.

It's mildly dated as there are new plugins that have come out since that you might use.. and it's very pro tools centric.. but I think its pretty good.

I do electronic music.. and have been thinking I should learn to dance music.. (which I don't know too much about ) and I picked up Rick Snoman's Dance Music Manual. I feel that its really dated with some of the attitudes like "thou should probably not buy a new synthesizer till you've learned all the nuances of the ones you already own" which.. god, I don't know if anybody actually believes that today.. I mean its a common lament that you simply can't learn everything that deeply.. with all the stuff one commonly has in one's studio but.. it's a book with a lot of good stuff in it anyway.

Just cause I feel like I have to.. for podcasts.. the one that was always my favorite was the project studio network.. which has now pod faded.. but I still recommend.. covering recording and mixing in the main.. and sonic talk from sonic state is my current favorite for music production.. and a lot of the magazines create podcasts that come out like.. bi monthly or monthly..

And maybe I would add that I follow a lot of music people on twitter.. and get a lot of news and tips and whatever that way as well.

I think if you're an Ableton Live user.. Tom Cosom is probably the man..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Buskin, R. (1999) Inside tracks; a first-hand history of popular music from the world’s greatest record producers and engineers. New York: Spike.

I just finished reading this a couple weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. It's not focused on specific production techniques, etc., but is very interesting from more of a historical perspective. There are a lot of really great interviews that discuss more general approach/ideological/preference topics.

.....and, unlike most books on audio recording related topics, it's a REAL book. 350 pages, normal type, and no pictures. So you'll get your moneys worth. It always cracks me up how most of these books are a bunch of goofy diagrams, type font that is so large that my grandma could read it without her glasses, and aligned to only take up only half the page at that.
ndv
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
behind the glass 1 and 2 are good, if a little tips and tricks light, more an overall guide
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles ➑️
On books, my favorite book so far is Mixing audio concepts, practices and tools from Roey Izhaki.. and focal press..
+1 by far one of the best books considering the workflow, tehniques, preparations, how various studio equipment works (indepth explanations on compressors, eq, gates....) jada jada jada

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello Everyone, my first post on gearslutz.com

Matering Audio by Bob Katz is a great book.
The Golden Moment is also a great book with lots of interviews.
The Recording Engineers Handbook is good.
The Mixing Engineers Handbook is just as good.
Just now beginning to read Mixing Audio by Izhaki. Be sure to get the one with the DVD as it contains all of the audio examples for the book. This one seems like it will be the best one I have read so far. It kinda looks like a college textbook, and in fact is used by some professors. Can't wait to get really deep into this one.

Brent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
We should have a "Book Vault" as we have a "Video Vault" section in GS.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99zulu ➑️
Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz
I can vouch for this and Behind The Glass and Mastering Audio. Mastering Audio makes you look at the process in a whole new way.

Also I don't have my copy yet but I've been recommended this......

Mixing with your Mind

Best of luck!
Old 10th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I second the bob katz book. It's kinda of a difficult read for someone starting out i think unless you have a bit of prior knowledge. i think if you have sat on these forums enough and know most of your equipment and what they do it's a whole lot easier. the books on mastering so he talks a lot about converters and compression and the fundamentals of mastering to great extent. I think it's a great read but i would also read a basic mixing book first before you dive into a mastering book. the one i have is a collection of techniques and a bunch of interviews collected from all over the world of top producers and all the styles from city to genre...that book is a very very easy read and more a browse book but very helpful.
Old 11th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks guys for all the great recommendations and advice! Much clearer now on what my purchasing options are!

Steve.
πŸ“ Reply