Quantcast
Gefell UMT800?? Anyone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell UMT800?? Anyone?
Old 24th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Gefell UMT800?? Anyone?

Has anyone ever used this mic. I have a chance to get one at a steal for $800. I already have a U87i though which is also a multi-pattern FET condenser as well.

Beez
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had one for years, I think I paid about $1200 for it new, so it seems like a good deal, although I don't know what they actually sell for now.

Admittedly, it is one of the coolest looking mics i own - that massive egg shaped steel grill is pretty impressive. But to be honest, i don't use it that much. To me, the high end is a little too hyped for my taste for most things, and on sources where i need the extra high end hype, sometimes my Gefell UM70s (also w/ exagerated highs) is a better choice because it has a much smaller footprint and can get into tighter spaces (like on acoustic bass).

Given how little i actually use mine, even $800 would be more than i would spend on a second one. But, you may find the sound a lot more to your liking than i did, in which case perhaps it's a great deal. Any chance you can hear it before you buy?

Actually, my fantasy is to someday send the UMT800 to Stephen Paul for a mod. Since he can turn ANY reasonable mic into a world wonder, I figure, the smart thing is to send him one of your least favorite mics, not your most favorite.
Old 24th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just wondering what sources you tried it on. I'll be using it on everything from classically trained Soprano's to guitar amp. So I figure I could find a use.

Also, did you find the patterns changed the sound a good bit. I am particularly excited about how flat the omni and wide cardoid pattern seem to be. Could be very useful as a room mic or out in front of a drumset.

At MacMidiMusic.com they are selling the mic for $1900 so I figure even if I don't like it I should be able to sell it for at least a couple hundred more than I paid for it.

Thanks for the info
Beez
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good point about the patterns, i should probably give it another chance as an omni mic - I think most of the time I was using it in one of the cardioid variations. The other thing is, I don't know how much variation there is between individual mics of this model, so I may have a particularly bright one. (For instance, I have a 414b/uls that sounds a lot like a typical ribbon mic, and certainly not like any other 414 I've ever heard...)

I can remember specifically trying it on saxes, acoustic guitar, and vox (with mixed results, as indicated above). It worked best on darker sources (like nylon string guitars, or sax players with a dark sound) where it's upper mid hype would be a plus. Any source that is already edgy (like your sopranos!) I would be a little scared to even take it out of the box.

Definitely wouldn't be my instinctive choice on guitar amp. For that (out of my collection) my natural tendency would be to choose between a Lawson L47mp, or an SM57, or a Royer 121, unless I was really looking for a really cutting sound. And because of it's huge size, it's a little hard to use it as a snare or tom mic or any place else with a tight fit! But I should try it as a room mic sometime.

But your point about the "reselling" option seems like a can't lose proposition. Just don't get your hopes up that it will ever be an all-purpose mic.
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the umt800 is a bit bass shy,which makes it sound a tad bright.the mic sounds sweet,very smooth.

any chance of test drivin it before you buy it?

my favourite pattern is the sub-card.very wide.....imo.
Old 24th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I replaced a TLM103 with a UMT800 and have no regrets. The UMT800 seems pretty un-hyped to me, way mellower than the 103 (that's good). Compared to a Lawson L-47MP (on vocals) it seems more neutral and less full-bodied. Pretty much using the cardiod pattern, the other patterns have less rise on the highs. I like it on acoustic guitar, but for that purpose there are other mics I might be happy with for less money (Josephson C42, Shure KSM44 etc) Have not compared it to a U87.
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by zenfreud
I replaced a TLM103 with a UMT800 and have no regrets. The UMT800 seems pretty un-hyped to me, way mellower than the 103 (that's good). Compared to a Lawson L-47MP (on vocals) it seems more neutral and less full-bodied...
Maybe mine is unusual. I wouldn't describe mine in any of those terms. Probably the exact opposite, actually...
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well I went ahead and bought it. I had to scrape some money from alternate sources since one of my clients who is supposed to pay all up front is going to have to pay in installments now.

Luckily he decided to do 12 songs instead of 5. More money for me. :P

Thanks for the info everyone.

Beez
Old 25th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
congrats with the new mic!
keep us posted with your thoughts 'bout it.
πŸ“ Reply