Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Digi 002 RACK

It's here!

Digi002 RACK version
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's nothing up on the Digi web site about this. Do you have a link to any information?
Old 21st May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
what the heck?

anyone have any more info about this? i've checked the digidesign website, other audio related websites, and even googled it but i can't find anything on it.

think this will be a competitor to the new motu 828mkII?
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
check the DUC
002 rack
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
The Google-translated page:

Product available as from May 30, 2003

Conceived while thinking at the same time of l?enregistrement and live for the musicians, Digi 002 Rack combines the Firewire connection with numerical, analogical inputs/outputs and MIDDAY in order to propose a cheap offer and of quality. A single FireWire/IEEE-1394 cable connects Digi 002 Rack to a PC or compatible Mac *, and proposes jusqu?à 36 channels simultaneous of numerical data (18 channels d?E/S), of data MIDDAY (16 tracks d?entrée/32 of exit), as well as the software Pro Tools to carry out your productions.

All the analogical and numerical audio equipment connects directly in Digi 002 Rack, thus eliminating the need d?un independent mixor. The same FireWire interface can be connected with portable computers, allowing Digi 002 Rack to function in any environment.

With its connector industry FireWire, its ergonomic and neat design, and its many functionalities, this "studio out of box" will answer all the requirements of production.

Functionalities:

? 8 discrete numerical entries (4 préamplis mic/line/instrument, phantom food séléctionnable on two channels.)
? Entry alternative source for audio equipment of monitoring?10 dBV (readers cassettes, readers CD?) connected directly to the exits monitor.
? 8 digital displays, all symetriques/asymetric, thus qu?une left monitor separate symetrique/asymetric also? Converters 24-bit/96kHz
? > 108 dB Dynamic Arranges; > 98 dB (0.002%) THD+N
? Exit monitor, with an adjustment of dedicated volume.
? Exit helmet with an adjustment of dedicated volume.
? 8 channels d?entrées/sorties optical ADAT.
? 2 channels d?entrées/sorties S/PDIF.
? MIDDAY E/S?1 port entered, 2 ports left (16 channels in, 32 channels out).
? Footswitch entry for ordering of the QuickPunch recording

Questions/Réponses
Q: Can I use two Digi002 Rack or more connected together to only one computer?
R: Not, Digi 002 Rack is an audio interface, and you cannot connect between them several audio interfaces Pro Tools IT.

Q: Which types of préamplis micro are included with Digi 002 Rack? Is what it is of FocusRite?
R: It is not of Focusrite. They are d?excellente quality, and profit d?un EIN from?126dB, jusqu?à +65dB of profit.

Q: Is what the converters used in the 002 Rack are the same ones as those of the 96 I/O?
R: Not. The 96 I/O uses converters 96kHz more powerful than those of Digi002 Rack.

Q: Is what the préamplis micro and the converters are the same one between Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack?
R: Yes.

Q: Is there a mode of weak latency?
R: Does Digi 002 Rack, like Digi 002 and Digi 001, have a mode of monitoring of weak latency? still weaker when you remove the effects.
Q: Which is the maximum length of the cable between Digi 002 and l?ordinator?
R: We deliver the 002 Rack with a cable of 12 feet (approximately 3,66 mètres)i which was tested for an optimal flow of data, and its power for the 1394 buses. The spec Iee-1394 makes approximately 14 feet (4,27 meters). We recommend to you not to exceed this limit.

Q: Does Digi 002 support the hubs firewire?
R: Those are not approved by Digidesign.

Q. Can I use a hard disk FireWire with Digi 002 and the software Pro Tools the 6.0.2?
R. Yes However, with PowerMac G4 equipped with FW800 (the all last PowerMac G4), the FireWire disc cannot be connected with the integrated FireWire ports. One needs a chart NCV FireWire separated to connect the FireWire disc. Note that the problem does not arise for PowerBooks 17 inches equipped with FW800.

NECESSARY SYSTEM
Macintosh computer approved by Digidesign, functioning on Mac OSX v10.2.5 but 10.2.6 (Will function with Windows as of the exit of Pro Tools 6.1)
Old 21st May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
interesting, but not all that exciting, especially when compared to the new motu 828mkII which costs half as much and supports multiple units among other things....
Old 21st May 2003
Well thats one PT dealer thats going to be in trouble with Digi for spilling the beans!

Old 21st May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
We heard about this months ago... but it seemed to be vaporware thus far. I'd actually be excited about it if the converters didn't suck so bad.... I prefer our 001's!

Alex
Old 21st May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Interesting. I've only lately started to hear any less than disparaging comments on the audio quality of the 001. Is the 002 actually worse? Is it just the 001 preamps that have soured everybody to it?

Bear
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got a 001 and I think the converters in it sound like $h!t. I only use the digital I/Os in it... I'm not doing major productions on it, but it is enough to notice the lack of a good sound...

I haven't used a 002, but if it is worse, that certainly isn't a good sign...

--Ben
Old 22nd May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
of course this is just my opinion, but I swear the 002 sounds harsher and more icey than the 001 and that was at 96k. We ended up selling ours. Maybe there's work arounds to bring out a better sound from the AD converters, but for me, I wish they just made a firewire 001. The 002 isn't the most sturdy built device either btw....

Alex
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

I don't have any interest on Digi's hardware but TDM and HDs... I hate the way they treat us (native) LE users...
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If you are using the Digi 001 with the digital input (using another analog/digital converter) could you have gotten by with just an M-Box? In otherwords, were you able to recording with more than two tracks at a time using the 001 and an outboard converter?
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Digi 001 has 10 channels of digital i/o, along with 8 analog. THe Mbox has 2 digital, 2 analog. So you'd choose based on how many channels of i/o you'd need.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by fifthcircle
I've got a 001 and I think the converters in it sound like $h!t. I only use the digital I/Os in it... I'm not doing major productions on it, but it is enough to notice the lack of a good sound...

I haven't used a 002, but if it is worse, that certainly isn't a good sign...

--Ben
My question is for those using outboard converters. How Many tracks are you recording at a time with 001?
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My question is for those using outboard converters. How Many tracks are you recording at a time with 001?
Like I thought I said before, up to 10--8 through an ADAT optical connector, and 2 with S/PDIF coax.

I'm with Ben on the 001's onboard converters--they're absolutely brutal, just ugly sounding, even by the standards of budget gear.

So, if you want it to sound decent, the 001 basically gives you PTLE + 10 channels of digital i/o. The included converters and--even worse--preamps are ok for scratch tracks or tom mics, but you're going to want to steer them clear of anything remotely critical.

Does that answer it?
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The poor toms... Use what ever is left over as some drummers hit them only once per song. Sometimes less.. Ahh if they could just hit the hi-hat less hard and not have giant cymbals. to dream to dream
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

I track up to 18 channels at once...
8 001
8 korg 880
2 phillips CD-R

all crappy converters
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

That's why I say f*** digidesign... let's go Logic or DP.... something needs to be done...
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Like I thought I said before, up to 10--8 through an ADAT optical connector, and 2 with S/PDIF coax.

I'm with Ben on the 001's onboard converters--they're absolutely brutal, just ugly sounding, even by the standards of budget gear.

So, if you want it to sound decent, the 001 basically gives you PTLE + 10 channels of digital i/o. The included converters and--even worse--preamps are ok for scratch tracks or tom mics, but you're going to want to steer them clear of anything remotely critical.

Does that answer it?
Okay! It's making sense. You are limited to just two digital inputs unless you expand by using the ADAT optical connector.

Next question. Does this ADAT optical connector only work through ADAT's? Do people go out and get an Alesis ADAT just to have another eight inputs?

I expect to go PTLE only because from what I've seen it is the easiest and most intuative program to use. I absolutely hate reading manuals. It's not that I hate reading, it's just that the manuals are very difficult to understand. From what I have heard, Pro Tools is simple.

That said, it seems that the M-Box is as good as the 001 or 002 except for the input limitation. But using an outboard converter (I have a Rosetta) would make them all about equal for my home recording.

I bet to do drums properly, I should go to a local studio to mic multiple tracks in a good sounding room. But the rest could be done at home.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

What kind of plugs that we have on the mac side are missing on the PC side?
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

I use a lot of waves, BF... so that would be fine...
I guess I could live w/o McDSP stuff... couldn't I?
I'll miss altiverb, realverb, amplitube and some other stuff...
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I walked into the Pasadena Banjo Center and asked for a quote on the 001. The salesidot pushed buttons on the computer for about 30 seconds (not kidding) and then said something like $800 or $900.

I said sorry and walked out as he was saying maybe he could try a little better.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hmm... has anyone actually witnessed the "I've heard they're blowing 001's out for $300" in person?

I wouldn't mind picking up another one for cheap, but I wonder if it's just an internet rumor.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For people too lazy to check the link... they weren't new 001's, and it was just at one particular store (although there may have been others with similar deals). They were also missing software, interconnect cables, or both...

Still, not a bad deal, assuming they came with some sort of warranty...

-Duardo
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
That's where omf comes in..

I record the band I work with through mLAN (yes it works now, don't ask.....) with DP4 on OSX in my iBOOK, then export to OMF to port it to PTLE on my desktop G4 (digi001).

Works for me, though only eight tracks at a time (since 01v mixer that has the mLAN card only has eight digital outputs)

DP4 supports recording from multiple interfaces at a time, so for example for the audience/ambient mics i could use another interface... (but i only need 6tracks for the band, since they have only 2 guitars and 3 singers)

Dunno yet how phase-accurate the results would be with multiple core-audio interfaces though. anyone tried this?

Anyway, my point: if you need, you can use whatever interface you like (MOTU for example) and record in Logic or DP4 when high trackcount is needed, and to do dubs you could use the adat of the digi001 with external converters (or use the ones on the MOTU that you used for recording in the first place).
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

What's the point w/ that??? I don't get it?
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Well..... it's clear people get PTLE for the software, not because they want bad converters. But if you need more inputs, you have to use other hardware then DIGI's own, (either because you don't like the converters or you need more inputs)

So...... My idea was to use other hardware/software to record, then port to PTLE for mixing/editing.

Works great for me. heh

That's it. No other point.
Just sharing a thought...
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

I got it now...
But I wish I could forget PT and go something else...
Like I said, I've been trying Nuendo 1.5 and it's working good to me... who knows when I'll drop LE...
📝 Reply