Quantcast
File this under WTF?! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
File this under WTF?!
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
File this under WTF?!

There is - evidently - a company which takes payment to listen to your product.
The company http://www.earloaner.com/ will for about $25.00 per song or less
(per song) for whole projects listen and critique your recording and tell you what they think.

This is the equivalent of going to a strip club and having the dancers pay you to sit on your lap and tell them their weight.

...and you are...who?.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm really curious as to what they would say.
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man, that mastering facility must be HURTING for gigs.
Old 20th May 2003
Founder

An imagined sample report:

"Words fail me to describe how hideous your music is, our staff ALL found it unbearable to sit through. It was a total relief that you opted not to send in your whole album. Never before have I heard such atrocious lyrics or a collection of rank tunes devoid of any merit whatsoever. We do feel however that you would be advised to clean up your product with our deluxe "Do you really think that would help?" mastering package for $450.

heh
Old 20th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Jules

That's the funniest thing I've ever read

nearly pissed myself
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hold on ...let me go pick a couple hundred of my money treedfegad
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
funny, jules

but the picture on the web-site looks like a pucker mastering studio.....Dunlavy speakers etc...........maybe they even lifted the picture from somewhere else!.........cheeky! tutt
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just tell them to PM me and I'll make fun of their songs for free!
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
ThatΒ΄s Bob Ludwigs mastering room.....sorry

"To ensure the necessary quality, we only accept the following formats:
Audio Cassette"
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got a client who told me about them, or someone like them. If not satified with the review, it can be modified for an additional fee.

Your song sucks, but for $25 more, what I ment to say was your song is great.

There's a sucker born every minute. Step right up...
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
from he testimonials, these are priceless....

"I received my report back in less than 1 week!_ I was shocked to hear that there were "phase problems" and "mono incompatibility"._ I took the report to a local studio to ask them for an opinion._ They played the 2 songs on their system and agreed with the report._ I then went back to my friends studio where I recorded the songs, after some research it turns out that he was not listening with his speakers in stereo, he had them both on the same channel and one speaker was 4 inches higher than the other speaker._ He thanked me for bringing this to his attention, everything that he records now and listens to sounds extremely better._ Also I really liked your way of describing the 3D sound image to me, that has been very helpful for mixing._ Thanks alot".___ Sarasota, FL

"I would love to be able to listen to my record on your system (and lots of other records too)._ You guys were dead on._ By the way, we bought a new rack mount tuner for all of us to use._ You will hear from us again."____ l - Cuba, MO

"Thanks for the report and the information on microphones._ We now realize that you can't just use a preset on a compressor._ We have been experimenting with our compressor limiter and learning how to use it correctly._ You saved our butts because we were just going to get our CD's made before we mailed you the songs._ Also, can you give me your opinion about digital recording on vocals?_ Take care."___ . - Chicago, IL
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That realy IS one of Bob Ludwigs Mastering rooms. I wonder if Mr. Ludwig knows about this.
Old 22nd May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Perhaps we should have a whip round
Old 22nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who knows em? or shall we just send an anonomus email?
Old 23rd May 2003

🎧 15 years
When I try and view the site I get "access forbidden' ????

Tim
Old 23rd May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Well my fellow Slutz... the cat is out of the bag. The Owner of Earlenders.com had contacted me about my post here about his site. What follows is my reply to the text of his message.

Quote:

Mark,

Interesting concept you've got going there...

I was instantly interested when I found it as a "New Website" link on Harmony-Central.com on Monday morning (as they post them every Monday). That is until I read the website and saw some... well... peculiarites.

Cassettes? MP3's? All through a set of $40K Speakers? Some of the GearSlutz believe the pic you posted was of Bob Ludwigs control room. Was it? You and Bob good friends?

Well... See my comments (if your interested) imbedded below.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: GearSlutz.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:42:49 -0700
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2720.3000

Jeff Broitman,
In regards to your post on "WTF?", GearSlutz.com regarding EarLender.com (Strip Club, Lap Dance, etc.). You asked, "...and you are...who?."

Yes... perhaps your a famous Producer, Engineer, musician? I don't recall the name, but then why should I, I don't really travel in the "know" any more.

I am Mark Dayton Sr and I own a professional recording studio and a record label (listed in every major directory including, the 2003 Mix Directory and the 2002-2003 Recording Industry Sourcebook).

I'm sorry, however, they don't check references... not even spelling most of the time. Really, anyone can submit an entry.

The website is not finished being designed and when it is eventually launched, I will provide "Musicians" a service where I will listen to their music with my ears and in my control room and give them my opinion on the recording from an engineers perspective and in some cases offer some encouragement regarding the artistic sense of the music.

Artist Development? Mentor? Producer? It's an interesting concept (as I said before), but qualifications usually include hit records and industry juice. You didn't list any... um yet...

I am not the first person that thought of this, there are several other websites already up and running that offer less for more and with ****ty equipment.

I'll have to look now that this concept has become so tantilizing to me. As for the ****ty equipment... they're obviously not a GearSlut (tm).

Why don't you wait until my site and service is up and running (I would be happy to let you know when it is),

Please do, I'm truly very interest (as I stated before).

then you can send me your best recording and I will send you a free detailed report of what I am hearing.

Thanx for the offer, however, if I want an opinion I'll go to Monte and ask him. He's the closest to Golden Ears I've ever known. Being familiar with his work I know how to translate his advise to usable changes.

Once you get it back and compare it to what you hear (assuming that you have a decent listening environment),

Hmm? Now now.. no need to be rude.

you can go onto to message boards and say not what you think you know, but what you really do know for a fact.

Well, here's the crux of the matter... I wrote on a well travelled board about the fact that your site existed? To others in the audio biz, who might be interested. And simply stated my amazement that this opportunity existed, let alone being actively persued. I admit that I was a tad -er- colorful in my comparison to your profession and that of Exotic dancers. But seriously ... it's like being paid my an actor for coming to thier play...

FYI: I really dig your website, nice job.

Thanx. Fast and to the point. Perhaps I'll post my mission statement someday. I've only been working on it for 15 years...

BTW: Please post future replies to the GearSlutz forum. This message will be there too.

-j
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, the www.earloaner.com site if offline.

One could discuss the fact that their services are a ripp off or not I guess. It is not illegal to sell advice.

Wether people want to pay money for that is up to them.

However to misslead people by illegaly posting and abusing a copyrighted picture of what is one of the most respected and best mastering facilities in the world is criminal to say the least.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mark Who?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awww crap! Poor guy. Excepting the photo hijack, I don't think that what he's doing is all that bad.

$25 really isn't all that much and plenty of home recordists could benifit from having a detailed critique of their recordings. Even advice from someone with 1 year of experience or from some school trained (blehghhh) engineer might be very useful.

Regarding qualifications, again, it's only 25 bucks. For that much I'd expect some engineer with minimal experience.

There was an ebay auction a while ago where some big name producer was selling "himself" for 2 days of intense one on one production, critiquing, image massaaging, development etc etc for $10,000 or something like that.

Anyways, $25 is a fair price IMO to pay for some mediocre ears for half an hour or whatever if you're a recording beginner. If it is a scam, it's pretty low key scam. Paying for cable TV is more of a rip off.

Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Does Bob Ludwig know about the photo hijack?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…