Quantcast
Mic Placement for Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Placement for Vocals
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mic Placement for Vocals

I'm just another hack with a basement "studio" looking to get the best quality with the tools I have. Just wondering where the best place would be to setup my mic for recording vocals?

My room is 10.5' x 25' and the only treatment I have right now is floor to ceiling Auralex LENRD bass traps in the corners. For vocals, I'm using an Oktavamod MK319 with an SE Reflexion filter into a Great River pre.

Would I get better results placing the mic stand in the center of the room firing down the long end? Or would it be better to set the mic up facing the corner of the room so that my back is to the Auralex trap?

I do plan on getting more treatment in the near future, but for now this is what I have to work with. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
close mic unless your going for a room sound, which is usually just for the occasional effect....

if that doesn't work i'll usually mic their crotch.
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My room is barely treated and I just put the mic up in the middle of this 12x12 hell hole and it sounds beautiful..just try different things..some people on here will tell you tht you need all kinds of ****, I just tried it and it sounds great..now for mixing thats another story!!
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb ➡️
I'm just another hack with a basement "studio" looking to get the best quality with the tools I have. Just wondering where the best place would be to setup my mic for recording vocals?

My room is 10.5' x 25' and the only treatment I have right now is floor to ceiling Auralex LENRD bass traps in the corners. For vocals, I'm using an Oktavamod MK319 with an SE Reflexion filter into a Great River pre.

Would I get better results placing the mic stand in the center of the room firing down the long end? Or would it be better to set the mic up facing the corner of the room so that my back is to the Auralex trap?

I do plan on getting more treatment in the near future, but for now this is what I have to work with. Any advice would be appreciated.
get yourself a dynamic mic and call it a day.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you find that you hear the room too much even though you have the Reflection unit
just use a heavy blanket hung behind the singer...(not in front of them). That will do a decent job of stopping the room .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo ➡️
If you find that you hear the room too much even though you have the Reflection unit
just use a heavy blanket hung behind the singer...(not in front of them). That will do a decent job of stopping the room .
I seem to always hear the opposite. Hang a heavy blanket (comforter, duvet) in front of the singer in a V shape. Ala Paul White from Sound on Sound. Is that for a different purpose?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop ➡️
I seem to always hear the opposite. Hang a heavy blanket (comforter, duvet) in front of the singer in a V shape. Ala Paul White from Sound on Sound. Is that for a different purpose?
If you have it in front of the singer it catches some of the reflections before they can reflect, if you have it behind then it catches some of them before they go into the mic (on cardioid pattern at least, MK319 is cardioid only I think).

IMO, I would use the reflection filter but make sure you DO NOT put the mic deep into the filter. It will give you a vocal that will not sit into any mix...it will sit on top in an unusual way. Keep the mic outside of the half circle of the filter, I like it almost as far outside of it as you can go. The 2nd thing to do is to get a moving blanket (or some other contraption) and set it up behind the singer. Experiment with the distance behind the singer, it will be different for different types of music but will give good results.

I made a contraption (similar idea to the GIK screen) a couple years ago using 2 interior trailer doors and put foam on 1 side of each of the doors and attached them together with velcro. It makes a larger v-pattern and can stand on it's own wherever you put it. It cuts down on the room reverb very well and you can position it where you need to.
cam
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo ➡️
This relates to my question... would the Auralex behind the singer serve the same purpose as hanging blankets?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb ➡️
This relates to my question... would the Auralex behind the singer serve the same purpose as hanging blankets?
Depends on the walls that you are standing in front of and how much they are reflecting. The Auralex bass traps are fairly small and probably aren't near as effective as a moving blanket but you should try it.
cam
📝 Reply