Quantcast
Who here mods and sells modded mics? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who here mods and sells modded mics?
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Who here mods and sells modded mics?

I'm collecting the info on all the people here who mod mics, and also sell already modded mics.

Please drop your website here (if you have one) and/or the mics you mod and sell.

Ahhhhhhh Free Promotion!

P.S. I'm very interested in Tube mics in particular
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OktavaMod - Michael Joly, Founder

Official "About" Statement -

Michael Joly of OktavaMod is a leading provider (over 2500 clients to date) of cost-effective microphone modification upgrades. His mods have improved the performance of studio mics since 1994 and are used regularly by chart-topping engineers such as Kramer, Damian Taylor (Björk), Rob Schnapf (Beck, Elliot Smith) and Adam Lasus (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah) plus thousands of indie and major label artists, engineers and producers. His microphone modification work was profiled in Tape Op Magazine issue #59, and he recently launched a new, high-performance ribbon mic — the Michael Joly Edition Cascade Gomez, which won the 2009 Editor’s Choice Award from Electronic Musician Magazine.

His microphone modification work is officially sanctioned by Oktava-Online, Aalen, Germany (world’s largest Oktava distributor with direct ties to JSC Oktava in Tula, Russia) who sell his OktavaMod microphones throughout Europe.

Joly offers a full range of acoustical, mechanical and electronic upgrades to many brands of his client’s existing condenser and ribbon microphone as well as providing sales of new, modified Oktava microphones.

He has just launched his first "signature" branded product the MJE-K47H large diaphragm capsule head for SDC condenser mic bodies (Review in "The Deli") and will be releasing a full line of high quality SDC, LDC, Tube, FET and ribbon mics under his MJE-Michael Joly Editions brand in 1Q2010.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➡️

Official About Statement -

Michael Joly of OktavaMod is a leading provider of cost-effective microphone modification upgrades. His mic mods have improved the performance of studio mics since 1994 and are used regularly by chart-topping engineers such as Damian Taylor (Björk), Rob Schnapf (Beck, Elliot Smith) and Adam Lasus (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah) plus thousands of indie and major label artists, engineers and producers. His microphone modification work was profiled in Tape Op Magazine issue #59, and he recently launched a new, high-performance ribbon mic — the Michael Joly Edition Cascade Gomez, which won the 2009 Editor’s Choice Award from Electronic Musician Magazine.

His microphone modification work is officially sanctioned by Oktava-Online, Aalen, Germany (world’s largest Oktava distributor with direct ties to JSC Oktava in Tula, Russia) who sell his OktavaMod microphones throughout Europe.

Joly offers a full range of acoustical, mechanical and electronic upgrades to many brands of his client’s existing condenser and ribbon microphone as well as providing sales of new, modified Oktava microphones.

He has just launched his first "signature" branded product the MJE-K47H large diaphragm capsule head for SDC condenser mic bodies (Review in "The Deli") and will be releasing a full line of high quality SDC, LDC, Tube, FET and ribbon mics under his MJE-Michael Joly Editions brand in 1Q2010.
Haha, yeah man, you were the first person I have seen on this site modding mics.

How much would you charge to replace a capsule on Karma K-58 (or Rode NTK), to K47 capsule? (I believe both are using K67)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

This is exciting news! Can't wait to see and hear them.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Jim Williams does nice work.
He's famous for his 414 B-ULS mod (have 2) and AKG 460B mod (have 2).
audioupgrades.com
(818) 780-1222

Best
Fman5
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleximan5 ➡️
Jim Williams does nice work.
He's famous for his 414 B-ULS mod (have 2) and AKG 460B mod (have 2).
audioupgrades.com
(818) 780-1222

Best
Fman5
thumbsup

Keep them coming
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Remembering some more...
One thing you can do is buy a killer NOS tube for a mic.
Its not really scientific but I've gotten killer results by upgrading my Rode K2 mics with Siemens Cca tubes.
Here's an example of exactly what to look for.
2XNOS CCa=E88CC=6922, Siemens, Gold Pins - eBay (item 140362194094 end time Dec-23-09 07:34:27 PST)
The "silver plate" tubes from the mid-late 60's sounded the best to me.
You don't want the newer ones that have a wire rod supporting the halo or the A-frame type (has a dual halo support to a dinner plate shaped getter).

I did the same thing with a Rode NTV which uses a 12AT7 and got great results. I can't remember the model no. but it was a Siemens "Uber" tube as well.
The higher grade old tubes went through more noise tests etc so you can be pretty sure you are getting a good tube.

Best
Fleximan5
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave Thomas AA mics
Advanced Audio Microphones
n/a
Summerland, BC
Canada
+1-604-931-2131
http://www.aamicrophones.com/

Terry Setter the designer of the Chameleon labs TS1 and TS2 ,
Mod russian mics
S | Faculty Directory at Evergreen
Contact with "hidden email"

Mark Fouxman / Marik
Microphone Database | RecordingHacks.com

Expert in ribbon mics but mod just about everything when it comes to mics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Remembering some more...
One thing you can do is buy a killer NOS tube for a mic.
Its not really scientific but I've gotten killer results by upgrading my Rode K2 mics with Siemens Cca tubes.
Here's an example of exactly what to look for.
2XNOS CCa=E88CC=6922, Siemens, Gold Pins - eBay (item 140362194094 end time Dec-23-09 07:34:27 PST)
The "silver plate" tubes from the mid-late 60's sounded the best to me.
You don't want the newer ones that have a wire rod supporting the halo or the A-frame type (has a dual halo support to a dinner plate shaped getter).

I did the same thing with a Rode NTV which uses a 12AT7 and got great results. I can't remember the model no. but it was a Siemens "Uber" tube as well.
The higher grade old tubes went through more noise tests etc so you can be pretty sure you are getting a good tube.

Best
Fleximan5

How did that affect overall sound of K2, man?
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It made the mic go from dull and dark to "audiophile".
It seemed to make the mic have a flatter response with more of everything..better high end detail/open and airy highs. Very detailed but that nice tubey halo is still there.
You get a good modern mic like a Rode with great electronics and the best of the old tubes and you've really got something.
Seriously, you wouldn't even think it is the same mic when you AB the stock tube vs the NOS.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Official About Statement -

Michael Joly of OktavaMod is a leading provider (over 2500 clients to date) of cost-effective microphone modification upgrades. His mic mods have improved the performance of studio mics since 1994 and are used regularly by chart-topping engineers such as Damian Taylor (Björk), Rob Schnapf (Beck, Elliot Smith) and Adam Lasus (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah) plus thousands of indie and major label artists, engineers and producers. His microphone modification work was profiled in Tape Op Magazine issue #59, and he recently launched a new, high-performance ribbon mic — the Michael Joly Edition Cascade Gomez, which won the 2009 Editor’s Choice Award from Electronic Musician Magazine.

Hi Mike, liked your China pics in the other thread. Just curious as to which mic Beck uses, I really like that sound. Thanks!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Ben is around here a lot.

Bees Neez Microphones
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
P.S.
we do have some very nice, mic manufacturers around here as well, and some very cool people to boot: )~
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 ➡️
Mark Fouxman / Marik
Microphone Database | RecordingHacks.com

Expert in ribbon mics but mod just about everything when it comes to mics.
Marik revoiced my 603 capsules into something much more than just useful.
Stock, they were much less than even tolerable.
Fantastic work, can't recommend him enough.

Michael Joly is prolific and a consummate professional.

I'll give both of these kats a *thumbs-up*

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK... Apologies in advance for not 100% following the rules....as far as I know, this guy doesn't hang out around here, but I found this site and thought his mod was neat... 90º angled SM57s for snare drums.

Granelli - Information
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Custom Microphones and Mods
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It made the mic go from dull and dark to "audiophile".
It seemed to make the mic have a flatter response with more of everything..better high end detail/open and airy highs. Very detailed but that nice tubey halo is still there.
You get a good modern mic like a Rode with great electronics and the best of the old tubes and you've really got something.
Seriously, you wouldn't even think it is the same mic when you AB the stock tube vs the NOS.

Maaaan...I might just buy those things.

What about that sibilance though, is it still there?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

About Us Page:

JJ Audio is a new company dedicated to providing the recording industry
with superior microphones. These microphones and mods utilize classic circuitry
and the highest quality parts, to fit any budget. Weather you want your microphone
modded or a custom microphone,

JJ Audio will fill your audio needs.

Jim Jacobsen has been a recording engineer for over 25 years. He has produced
many albums and CD's for many local artists in the Baltimore / Washington area.
One of these albums "Uptown" by Johnny Seaton is in the Country Music Hall of Fame.
This album featured the Tele legend Danny Gatton.

Jim Played in several local bands and in 1980 went on a USO tour with the band Fast Break.
He also played for over 10 years in a contempory worship band in a large Church in Silver Spring MD.

Jim studied Classical guitar and has a degree in Music Education from Catholic University. He was a Band and Orchestra Director in Montgomery County Maryland. He is also a Remodeling Contractor and Home Inspector in Maryland and Washington DC. He is currently building and modding microphones in his shop in Glenwood Maryland.

Electronics has been my hobby and passion since 1980. I have rebuilt, repaired and made custom guitar amps. In 2003 I turned My interest to microphones. I started because I wanted to record with better microphones.The best vocal mic I had at that time was an AKG C414EB with a teflon capsule. I saw on the internet that David Royer was modding MXL 2001 mics. I sourced the parts and attempted to build my first microphone. It took a while to get the mic to work, however when I finally got it to work, I was hooked! I experimented with different tubes, resistor values, and I read all that I could find on the internet and studied any schematicI could find. I started to experiment with changing components in stock microphones and found many changes that improved the sound of the microphone. I rebuilt and modded any mic I could get my hands on.

I use the very best parts I can find. Neumann capsules, ADK custom shop capsules,Theirsch M7,
Theirsch reskinned capsules and hand made capsules.

I use Jensen, Lundahl, Cinemag, Sowter and custom wound transformers.

I install audio grade film capacitors,Black Gate, Elna, Rubycon, Nichicon electrolytics.

The wire that I use, is a Mil. spec. Teflon/ Silver coated stranded wire.

Each mic is a hand crafted piece and a labor of love

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat ➡️

About Us Page:

JJ Audio is a new company dedicated to providing the recording industry
with superior microphones. These microphones and mods utilize classic circuitry
and the highest quality parts, to fit any budget. Weather you want your microphone
modded or a custom microphone,

JJ Audio will fill your audio needs.

Jim Jacobsen has been a recording engineer for over 25 years. He has produced
many albums and CD's for many local artists in the Baltimore / Washington area.
One of these albums "Uptown" by Johnny Seaton is in the Country Music Hall of Fame.
This album featured the Tele legend Danny Gatton.

Jim Played in several local bands and in 1980 went on a USO tour with the band Fast Break.
He also played for over 10 years in a contempory worship band in a large Church in Silver Spring MD.

Jim studied Classical guitar and has a degree in Music Education from Catholic University. He was a Band and Orchestra Director in Montgomery County Maryland. He is also a Remodeling Contractor and Home Inspector in Maryland and Washington DC. He is currently building and modding microphones in his shop in Glenwood Maryland.

Electronics has been my hobby and passion since 1980. I have rebuilt, repaired and made custom guitar amps. In 2003 I turned My interest to microphones. I started because I wanted to record with better microphones.The best vocal mic I had at that time was an AKG C414EB with a teflon capsule. I saw on the internet that David Royer was modding MXL 2001 mics. I sourced the parts and attempted to build my first microphone. It took a while to get the mic to work, however when I finally got it to work, I was hooked! I experimented with different tubes, resistor values, and I read all that I could find on the internet and studied any schematicI could find. I started to experiment with changing components in stock microphones and found many changes that improved the sound of the microphone. I rebuilt and modded any mic I could get my hands on.

I use the very best parts I can find. Neumann capsules, ADK custom shop capsules,Theirsch M7,
Theirsch reskinned capsules and hand made capsules.

I use Jensen, Lundahl, Cinemag, Sowter and custom wound transformers.

I install audio grade film capacitors,Black Gate, Elna, Rubycon, Nichicon electrolytics.

The wire that I use, is a Mil. spec. Teflon/ Silver coated stranded wire.

Each mic is a hand crafted piece and a labor of love

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio

1) Can you replace the capsule in Karma 58 or Rode NTK to K47?

How much would that be?

2) Can you install High Frequency De-emphasis circuit in Karma 58 or Rode NTK?

How much would that be
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted ➡️
1) Can you replace the capsule in Karma 58 or Rode NTK to K47?

How much would that be?

2) Can you install High Frequency De-emphasis circuit in Karma 58 or Rode NTK?

How much would that be
Hi Lifted,

I replace capsules in the Karma and the NTK. The Karma looks very much like a Thiele M4 mic that I have. The front grill reflects sound back into the capsule and changes the response of the microphone. It is hard to determine the end result of a capsule change for that mic. The capsule change alone is $45.00 plus capsule. If other mods are done, the capsule change is $25.00.

The Karma mic can be improved with a different transformer. AMI, Jensen or Cinemag would be good choices to improve this mic. The clairity and detail will improve. The Cinemag and Jensen are very transparent and won't add much "color." The AMI will give you the classic AKG C12 transformer sound.
Some of the harsh sibilance may be due to the 12ax7 in the mic. Try a NOS GE 5 star 6072. These tubes are amazing in these circuits and will increase the head room.
Yes I do a HF mod and custom tune the mic to roll off some of the high end.

I believe the NTK has a custom Jensen transformer installed.

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Lifted,

I replace capsules in the Karma and the NTK. The Karma looks very much like a Thiele M4 mic that I have. The front grill reflects sound back into the capsule and changes the response of the microphone. It is hard to determine the end result of a capsule change for that mic. The capsule change alone is $45.00 plus capsule. If other mods are done, the capsule change is $25.00.

The Karma mic can be improved with a different transformer. AMI, Jensen or Cinemag would be good choices to improve this mic. The clairity and detail will improve. The Cinemag and Jensen are very transparent and won't add much "color." The AMI will give you the classic AKG C12 transformer sound.
Some of the harsh sibilance may be due to the 12ax7 in the mic. Try a NOS GE 5 star 6072. These tubes are amazing in these circuits and will increase the head room.
Yes I do a HF mod and custom tune the mic to roll off some of the high end.

I believe the NTK has a custom Jensen transformer installed.

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Thanks for advice.

How much would you charge to fine tune and put HF-deemphasis on Rode NTK? (Total $)

How much would be to buy a capsule from you with the replacement service? (Either for Rode NTK or Karma 58) with/without fine tuning the mic. (Total $)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted ➡️
Thanks for advice.

How much would you charge to fine tune and put HF-deemphasis on Rode NTK? (Total $)

How much would be to buy a capsule from you with the replacement service? (Either for Rode NTK or Karma 58) with/without fine tuning the mic. (Total $)

The HF circuit can be implemented in several ways. After the capsule change, I try different methods to find the best sound and fine tune the circuit. Depending on the capsule, you may not need a HF circuit. The HF tuning is $100.00
Capsules can range from $100.00 to $800-900 for a new Neumann. You need to find a capsule sound that you like and make a choice.

Thanks
Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The HF circuit can be implemented in several ways. After the capsule change, I try different methods to find the best sound and fine tune the circuit. Depending on the capsule, you may not need a HF circuit. The HF tuning is $100.00
Capsules can range from $100.00 to $800-900 for a new Neumann. You need to find a capsule sound that you like and make a choice.

Thanks
Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Awesome!

If I get K47 capsule is the price depended on the condition of the capsule, or is there dozens of variations of K47?

How can I find which capsule I like, especially if I don't know how the capsule change will effect my particular microphone?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are quite a few capsules about in this day and age that are variations on the same 3 capsules.

K47
K67
CK12

The biggest diversity I've seen from place to place has been the K67 and K47 types.

There are at least 6 places offering K47s with multiple versions at almost each company. The price range is anywhere from 100 bucks (not available at the moment though, come on Dale!) all the way to 900 bucks at Neumann for a new K47. However that is soon about to change

The K67 is pretty much the same deal, I have heard quite a few K67s from different sources and they are very diverse. You have K67s that are ultra bright when unfiltered and then you have ones that don't have the same rise. When married to the proper circuit these capsules can sound great!

The CK12 has a bit less variety, regarding who makes and cells it. However, the best one I've heard so far is Tim Campbell's, however you're going to pay a nice piece of change for it.

ADKs Vienna capsule (which is a take on a CK12) can sound absolutely fabulous when married to the right circuit.

If you haven't bought a mic yet, you can shoot me a pm for suggestions. There are quite a few sleeper mics out that can sound absolutely sick if you show the existing circuit a little love.

Obviously the Oktava MK319 can be pure gold when given the right mods, Michael has proven this with his wonderful range of Oktavamods and Jim has achieved great results as well with his take on them.

There's also the MXL 909 which is a poor musician's dream for cheaper mods.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk some more.

Peace
Illumination
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Maaaan...I might just buy those things. What about that sibilance though, is it stil

I didn't hear any sibilance when using them as drum overheads but I don't know what you are using them for or your setup.
If you've got a K2 already, give it a go. That mic and those tubes always go for a good price on ebay.
Best
FM5
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➡️
...There are at least 6 places offering K47s with multiple versions at almost each company. The price range is anywhere from 100 bucks (not available at the moment though, come on Dale!) all the way to 900 bucks at Neumann for a new K47.
Tell us more Illacov!

I don't offer capsule for sale because I take a systemic approach to my microphone engineering - its not just about capsule swapping. For a mic to be associated with me I have to be involved with everything - headbasket acoustics, capsule, wiring, circuit design, FET / Tube selection, signal path components and physical improvements. When I can do all this I'm very happy to intall an MJE-K47 capsule that has been individually tested and document in an anechoic chamber.

So who sells individual K47-type capsules outright?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Tell us more Illacov!

I don't offer capsule for sale because I take a systemic approach to my microphone engineering - its not just about capsule swapping. For a mic to be associated with me I have to be involved with everything - headbasket acoustics, capsule, wiring, circuit design, FET / Tube selection, signal path components and physical improvements. When I can do all this I'm very happy to intall an MJE-K47 capsule that has been individually tested and document in an anechoic chamber.

So who sells individual K47-type capsules outright?
So now you're picking my brain?? LOLheh

Ok I'm game.

From lowest to highest.

K47/M7 vendors:

Dale Ulan M7 (Canada): $100??Maybe $150?? He hasn't sold them in a while

Peluso Microphone Labs PK47: $225. Many folks dig this capsule.

ADK GK47: $245?? Part of their new line up, good sounding capsule, we've installed it before.

BeesNeez K47: There's at least 3 types and its better to call or write Ben to get a recent price. All of the capsules have their own sound. More spices in the rack.

MJE-K47 $329: This is a cool sounding take on the K47. The guy who sells it is crazy, cuz you only pay for the capsule but he mods your mic for free.

Thiersch Elektroakustik STW7: Hands down the best M7 I have heard. Last I checked it was a little under $400 with a mount.

Blue BK47: $400 ++?? Used in the Blue 47s.

Thiersch Reskinned K47: $500 or so.

Neumann K47: $900

There eventually will be another provider of this capsule but all I can say at the moment is a 6 micron design and coming soon!

Hope that fills some gaps!

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There are quite a few capsules about in this day and age that are variations on the same 3 capsules.

K47
K67
CK12

The biggest diversity I've seen from place to place has been the K67 and K47 types.

There are at least 6 places offering K47s with multiple versions at almost each company. The price range is anywhere from 100 bucks (not available at the moment though, come on Dale!) all the way to 900 bucks at Neumann for a new K47. However that is soon about to change

The K67 is pretty much the same deal, I have heard quite a few K67s from different sources and they are very diverse. You have K67s that are ultra bright when unfiltered and then you have ones that don't have the same rise. When married to the proper circuit these capsules can sound great!

The CK12 has a bit less variety, regarding who makes and cells it. However, the best one I've heard so far is Tim Campbell's, however you're going to pay a nice piece of change for it.

ADKs Vienna capsule (which is a take on a CK12) can sound absolutely fabulous when married to the right circuit.

If you haven't bought a mic yet, you can shoot me a pm for suggestions. There are quite a few sleeper mics out that can sound absolutely sick if you show the existing circuit a little love.

Obviously the Oktava MK319 can be pure gold when given the right mods, Michael has proven this with his wonderful range of Oktavamods and Jim has achieved great results as well with his take on them.

There's also the MXL 909 which is a poor musician's dream for cheaper mods.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk some more.

Peace
Illumination

Got you.

I have sent you a message, check it out dude. I'm shooting for Rode NTK or Karma-58 for now.

If you got any suggestions, comments, questions, hit me back
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...K47/M7 vendors:

Dale Ulan M7 (Canada): $100??Maybe $150?? He hasn't sold them in a while

Peluso Microphone Labs PK47: $225. Many folks dig this capsule.

ADK GK47: $245?? Part of their new line up, good sounding capsule, we've installed it before.

BeesNeez K47: There's at least 3 types and its better to call or write Ben to get a recent price. All of the capsules have their own sound. More spices in the rack.

MJE-K47 $329: This is a cool sounding take on the K47. The guy who sells it is crazy, cuz you only pay for the capsule but he mods your mic for free.

Thiersch Elektroakustik STW7: Hands down the best M7 I have heard. Last I checked it was a little under $400 with a mount.

Blue BK47: $400 ++?? Used in the Blue 47s.

Thiersch Reskinned K47: $500 or so.

Neumann K47: $900...
Good job - complete. Now, the other half of the question. Who in that list will sell a single capsule to a non-factory authorized installer or DIY'er today?

Its actually encouraging to see some new people advocating the use of K47-type capsules. My long held-position has been the mismatch between the commonly-used K67-type capsule with its designed-in 8kHz peak and the commonly-found flat response circuit has been the source of searing HF in low cost mics. The answer is to either swap to a K47-type capsule or re-engineer the circuit to introduce a complimentary HF de-emphasis as was done in the U 67 and U 87 mics that used Neumann's K67 capsule design. I prefer the former approach as it does not introduce a layer of phase shift as when happens when the proper multi-pole HF de-emphasis (not simply 6dB per octave cap/resistor) is applied to the K67-type capsule.

A bit of history - somewhere along the line as new low cost mics were being designed and manufactured this need for HF de-emphasis was forgotten. Neumann created the K67 capsule to have an intentional peak then followed this with de-emphasis. This topology created an acoustical pre-emphasis / electrical de-emphasis noise reduction system that also improved headroom and, through EQ shaping, also allow for some control over the spectral response voicing of these two mics.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Good job - complete. Now, the other half of the question. Who in that list will sell a single capsule to a non-factory authorized installer or DIY'er today?

Its actually encouraging to see some new people advocating the use of K47-type capsules. My long held-position has been the mismatch between the commonly-used K67-type capsule with its designed-in 8kHz peak and the commonly-found flat response circuit has been the source of searing HF in low cost mics. The answer is to either swap to a K47-type capsule or re-engineer the circuit to introduce a complimentary HF de-emphasis as was done in the U 67 and U 87 mics that used Neumann's K67 capsule design. I prefer the former approach as it does not introduce a layer of phase shift as when happens when the proper multi-pole HF de-emphasis (not simply 6dB per octave cap/resistor) is applied to the K67-type capsule.

A bit of history - somewhere along the line as new low cost mics were being designed and manufactured this need for HF de-emphasis was forgotten. Neumann created the K67 capsule to have an intentional peak then followed this with de-emphasis. This topology created an acoustical pre-emphasis / electrical de-emphasis noise reduction system that also improved headroom and, through EQ shaping, also allow for some control over the spectral response voicing of these two mics.
All of the companies I listed will sell their capsules directly to the general public except Neumann and Michael Joly's.

Regarding the HF de emphasis circuit, any good tech knows how to do it. The how, where and why varies from person to person. But the knowledge is out there. And as well, I have had multiple discussions with Jim about the sound of the differences between the way the HF is accomplished with negative feedback versus the way I've advocated it be done in the Mutt mic and my point has consistently been that, short of bragging rights, the method is not as important as the euphonics that are accomplished. More important than the custodial application of a circuit, is the capsule you're applying it to.

I've heard a Neumann K67 out of its element so to speak with our version of HF and the top end really wasn't all that different from a K67 in a Neumann stock K67 with the negative feedback. Which means less money for the customer to burn on purism and less hurdles to quality for the average guy.

Your vision of affordable microphones that sound fabulous is an interest I share with you.

I would also like you to consider this. Your position on wanting your baby, your k47 capsule, to be in the best environment possible is admirable. However, by limiting yourself or your employees to be the only people that can install it, limits the demonstrations of your capsules worth IMHO. Your perspective on a good circuit will differ from the next man and so on and so forth.

Any person willing to buy a capsule, is either confident in their ability to install it in the right place or they have confidence in their tech

I have often wondered for example what your capsule would sound like with an EF12 or an EF86 and a BV8. However, until you build your K47 into a microphone (and record the result) that utilizes that circuit, we will never know. Which thus makes it harder to evaluate a capsule called a K47 because we can't hear it in its close to original home.

I don't intend for these statements to come across as derogatory because they are not, but simply as a point of encouragement. There have been many folk who have installed John Peluso's capsules to great success in their DIY mics and others who experienced pitfalls for other reasons. But his name and his company name spread because his products were accessible. Not just finished products but parts.

It is your company to do as you please, you obviously have your reasons.

Just one man's point of view.

Peace
Illumination

Last edited by illacov; 29th November 2009 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Neumann information unknown...
📝 Reply