Quantcast
GreenSlutz! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GreenSlutz!
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
GreenSlutz!

Which manufacturers and retailers are putting in an effective effort towards reducing their environmental footprint? Energy consumption, recycling, etc.

Are there any slutz here who making an effort to do that themselves in their own studio setups?
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
When I shut down, there is a main switch that disconnects power from all gear. What a lot of people may not realize is that even though something is turned off, it doesn't mean it isn't drawing power.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Demel, I got a vasectomy for free from planned parenthood.
Its the single best thing you can do for the planet.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i agree, the last thing this earth needs is more people. i think we're due for a good plague or extinction level event
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Haha!

I unplug a lot of things in my house and studio when not in use. Especially if I'm gone for a while. I go as paperless as possible and we're transitioning to those energy saving bulbs too. Every little bit...

: )
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy ➑️
Haha!

I unplug a lot of things in my house and studio when not in use. Especially if I'm gone for a while. I go as paperless as possible and we're transitioning to those energy saving bulbs too. Every little bit...

: )
Thorough that method I saved nearly 200 Euros last year!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
funny you brought this up......i just recently watched this on netflix:

Sundance Channel : Video Player

some food for thought, ehh??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
I laughed out loud on that one (F*ck LOL). but then i read it again and i am thinking you might be serious.... or on to something...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
its funny, because audio companies aren't really that big, so they don't really have the ability to do mass damage to mother earth....

but like people are saying, the thing we all need to recognize is our power consumption in the studio, because that can get gnarly!!!!!!!!!!

and the things we do as engineers....

such as:
*consume organic, fair trade, biodegradable
*shut off power when not in use
*get an electric car, they're getting to be pretty awesome, but still 100k
or a hybrid
*some prefer visectomy, i usually just pull out. ( i stopped using plastic wrap when i realized it had a pollusive nature) (joke)
*consider all the other creatures on earth as well as their habitats, its really a bummer to see that pandas, cheatas, sea life, and birds are all losing the battle
*overall, just leaving a small/green/clean footprint from our daily lives
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt12 ➑️
i agree, the last thing this earth needs is more people. i think we're due for a good plague or extinction level event
Nah, the earth just needs more good people. We have #7 on the way and believe it or not...it was planned.

Speaking of green though I think I'm going to launch a "green" page on my site soon since I am likely the lowest energy consuming or waste producing place to buy pro audio gear on earth and would be almost be considered a negative carbon footprint the way I roll.

For realzies.

War
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
gag me with a prius.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander ➑️
When I shut down, there is a main switch that disconnects power from all gear. What a lot of people may not realize is that even though something is turned off, it doesn't mean it isn't drawing power.
Yeah, I did this with my setup in the living room a while back.
It surely saved me a few bucks at the end of the month, but not enough to replace my current damaged TV.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
talking about green...

Man, i've just discovered that it doesnt matter if my studio consumes 1mΒ³ of water or 20mΒ³ i will pay the same - about U$150 dollars in water, a month.

No point in closing the sinks and saving water... same 150 dollars despite of how low my consume is (never more then 3mΒ³ a month). I hate my water supply company.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrade ➑️
gag me with a prius.

Just for the record, I'm not exactly Mr Feel Good Environmentalist here but I just happen to consume almost no energy doing what I do...and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

I do purposely use paper packing materials vs styrofoam (if anybody receives a box from me with styro-peanuts it is because a manufacturer sent me a box with them in it, I do not purchase them).

War
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i recently started a thread in search of some of the same answers. I use API 500 format pres, eq;s and comps, and was wndering how much power they draw as opposed to other forms of 19 inch rack or outboard gear. Never got a strait answer, but im assuming that it is more efficient, since the gear uses a common power supply. Other than that, there is alot of cool stuff that can be done with solar panels, and wind and water power if you are willing to spend the cash on the initial investment.... I greaw up in a house with solar water heating. My dad put up panels when he bought the place, and they work failry well... sometimes a cold shower is in the cards, but no biggie.... Im sure somehting like that could be hooked up if your studio to help generate power if it is in the right place (ie, no cover from trees)...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️

Just for the record, I'm not exactly Mr Feel Good Environmentalist here but I just happen to consume almost no energy doing what I do...and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

I do purposely use paper packing materials vs styrofoam (if anybody receives a box from me with styro-peanuts it is because a manufacturer sent me a box with them in it, I do not purchase them).

War

i was unaware that zen was so energy efficient........

i honestly see myself making some purchases from you in the future, because i feel i could support a business that functions with a nearly negative carbon footprint.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I whistle in the dark.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss ➑️
i usually just pull out. ( i stopped using plastic wrap when i realized it had a pollusive nature)
If you keep doing that eventually you will end up like warhead.

Use a fu**ing rubber guy. Enviromental or not you are playing around with more important things than the environment with that one.tutt
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm paying to much for my electricity! This is supose to help according to Australias new government emmissions trading scheeme. I dont know how?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
If you keep doing that eventually you will end up like warhead.

Use a fu**ing rubber guy. Enviromental or not you are playing around with more important things than the environment with that one.tutt

although almost all the things in my post were serious, but this one was a joke....
i'm well educated in the areas of child development..... and will not be having a child anytime soon!!!!!!

but i agree with you....
rubbers are 100% condoned by me, and pulling out is extremely ineffective....
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
although almost all the things in my post were serious, but this one was a joke....
i'm well educated in the areas of child development..... and will not be having a child anytime soon!!!!!!
I kinda figured you were.

Quote:
but i agree with you....
rubbers are 100% condoned by me,
You can try to use rolled up papyrus like the ancient Egyptians did, but i have a feeling it won't work or feel as good.

Quote:
and pulling out is extremely ineffective....
Especially if your woman is into Tantric sex and she does a surprise Kegel clamp on your penis. Ain't no way your gonna be able to pull out fast enough.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

but i agree with you....
rubbers are 100% condoned by me, and pulling out is extremely ineffective....
you ain't really in if you wear a skin
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have solar collectors on my roof, so my homestudio is partly "green"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
not a manufacturer maybe someday

for fourth of July while most where watching fire works
I had my head over a magneview
to me those are the flux lines of the future although much
harder to see than flux lumen's

internal combustion engines are possibly a evolution from fireworks
or so I believe

(explained self)

I studied magnetism and have hopes for a diamagnetic generator
and highly efficient if not over efficient transformers

I kinda like light bulbs that are wastefull as I see hopes for
better generators and transformers and magnetic circuits
not so much as using less but making more
also question if some conservation has any connection to
product quality and job number related issues

I like green grass , the color green is to used to symbolize go or even used as a slang word
for new to or learning , so yes I'm very green
member no 666

🎧 15 years
While I'm no longer there I am proud to say that Mercenary Audio has had a "cardboard" recycling dumpster since 1992 [pretty much when the concept originated], has always recycled all paper, as well as bottles and cans... as well as "hazardous waste" [like computer monitors, etc.].

Electricity is saved by turning off lights that are not in use [thought the studio equipment runs 24/7/365 that is to reduce maintenance costs]... monitor amplifiers are turned off, and the staff gets a new "staff sweatshirt" every fall as the heat in the warehouse [which is on a timer to turn it way down at night and weekends when there isn't a session] is maintained at 65˚ F during the day.

The joint runs about as green as possible.

Warren... 7 kids? I don't know if you got the memo... they're only cute when they're small... when they turn into 'teenagers' I dare say you're pretty well screwed my friend.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We have this on or contact page of the web site.

Also a geothermal heat pump.

5 solar panels.

An organic garden.

A Prius and a Honda Insight.

Blah, Blah, Blah
Attached Thumbnails
GreenSlutz!-pop-up.jpg  
Deleted 99dc753
It is very important to think about pollution.
Even if it makes gear more expensive we only have that planet.

I also ask myself how bad electronically parts are if you throw them into the trash.

I read that new boiling plates have an intelligent circuit that switches of the plate early enough and you boil the meal with rest energy...

Why not such a thing for mic pres or compressors .... if there is no incoming signal for about lets say 20 minutes it switches of to save energy....

Same with water many toilets in europe have two buttons....
One for peeing and one for .... you know it!!heh

I think it is our future to think about how we can reduce pollution on the planet other wise nature will kick us off the earth....
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Isn't Sweetwater a platinum certified green building? At least I thought I read that someplace.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If we do not tackle overpopulation nothing else we do will matter even the tiniest bit.
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. ➑️
If we do not tackle overpopulation nothing else we do will matter even the tiniest bit.
Sad news but we tackle overpopulation.
There are 6 Billion Humans on this planet and China is just coming up.

What happens in 20 years when nearly every chinese family can afford car?

So it is very very urgent that we find alternative energies.

If we do not we will kill ourself faster as we can say NO!!!
πŸ“ Reply