palate = ears

sugar/cream = post fader inserts

cup of coffee = final mix

Enjoy! heh
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you want a really good italian espresso, forget all the all in one coffee machines. Here's why:

A good coffee (as almost everything else) takes time. Good espresso takes about 20 seconds of pressing through (bad english, but you'll get it). That means from the first drop to the last.

Most (in fact all I came across) automatic machines take about 5 - 10 seconds for that. The espresso you'll get is then watery and lacks a lot of flavor.

Real good italian espresso has more of a dense, oily character to it. This is what makes all the difference. You get the whole flavor.

However, the machines they use at good italian restaurants are REALLY expensive. You'll get a lot of gear for that sort of money .

IMO, the espresso of those automatic machines is just like behringer.

edit: I use some behringer gear, and drink those automatic espresso's on a daily basis! (shame)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero ➡️
+ 1 zillion for the nespresso machines. No more mess of ground coffee all over the place. No measuring, no wasting time. Just a perfect cup of espresso every time. Plus if you add a set of NOS Mullard tubes, it's truly an amazing machine.
Sorry, nespresso is faaaaar away from a perfect cup of espresso.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunale ➡️
Sorry, nespresso is faaaaar away from a perfect cup of espresso.
I agree but it is very practical and does in fact taste better than expected.
Better than many of the auto machines around by a long shot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneepa ➡️
Nespresso RULEZ!

Capsule Type 10 Ristretto is THE flavor!

(And note that I'm italian!)
If you're Italian then you're either misguided or a traitor! heh

I've lived in Milano for a while too, and the one thing you really don't need there is ANYTHING Nespresso. Marketing ****, Milano has a million bars selling great Caffè for 80 cents. A Nespresso shot costs how much??
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I used to have a stovetop espresso maker but compared to even a cheap espresso machine, as long as you know how to use it, is still not as good. The flavour can be just as good but the crema and thickness of the coffee is just sad not to enjoy.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Being Brazilian, i have an adquired taste for Local Coffee, even though i love all kinds of good coffee. My favorite is the coffee i buy from armazem do café, which is without doubt the best premium brazilian coffee there is (brazil is the biggest coffee producer in the world and the owners of the shop are some of the biggest coffee farmers here, so they do have the best local stuff,which they produce themselves, always freshly roasted)

don't really like the lavazza stuff...nor any coffee that comes pre-ground.

i have a fairly cheap expresso machine which works just fine... and i gave up on the stove top "mocha style" coffeemakers...

local premium coffee, well ground on any decent expresso machine, would be my choice... best coffee types here would be "sul de minas" and "cerrado mineiro" ,as well as the small "moka" beans, which are lovely for an afternoon coffee...

just having a sul de minas/cerrado mineiro blend now.... hummmmm.....heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where I come from mocha and espresso are two very different things:

For espresso the water is pushed through the ground coffee by pressure.
For mocha the ground coffee, together with the desired amount of sugar and water, is boiled in an open top little pot until it foams. No pressure is involved in making mocha.

Espresso requires a dark roasted coffee while mocha uses a very lightly roasted coffee.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. ➡️
Where I come from mocha and espresso are two very different things:

For espresso the water is pushed through the ground coffee by pressure.
For mocha the ground coffee, together with the desired amount of sugar and water, is boiled in an open top little pot until it foams. No pressure is involved in making mocha.

Espresso requires a dark roasted coffee while mocha uses a very lightly roasted coffee.
interesting... i read somewhere that the stove top coffemakers are called mochas... but of course, i could be wrong... heheheh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go High End

This baby does it all except for digestion. heh

Saeco Royal Professional Espresso Machine Review
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana ➡️
interesting... i read somewhere that the stove top coffemakers are called mochas... but of course, i could be wrong... heheheh
Moka, not mocha! tutt
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
This baby does it all except for digestion. heh

Saeco Royal Professional Espresso Machine Review
I always wanted a Saeco until I started reading reviews. Brutal.

Then I worked next to a company that sold Saeco and the like. People were bringing their machines in every month because they would break down. I had one lady that would bring hers in every 3 weeks, lol. She left it with me a few times as they were out.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic ➡️
. A Nespresso shot costs how much??
about 55 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
I find the coffee always seems a tad cold from these machines. .
This is a valid criticism. If you are pulling a double shot and the little light comes on, you have to wait until it goes out again or you will be running cold(ish) water over the coffee.

Still in all, the OP did request something that can
Quote:
do espresso without a bunch of work and mess.
While the very idea of Proprietary Encapsulated Espresso is anathema to serious coffee lovers, the actual execution of the concept is surprisingly good, and the selection of coffees far better than the Behringer analogies floated about would have you believe.

I can't blame people for hating it on principle, but I know if I had one of the slutty machines recommended here, I would rarely fire it up, much less let my client make his own.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss ➡️
i think everyone likes the U47 for this one.....but make sure you amp it with a neve....

brews the best java!!!!!!!!!!!!
I disagree I would use a KM84 it is better for the highs the grinder and beans have as the whack the side, and probably the avalon737 as a pre!!!....
lol
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Jeeebus ... I though this was gerslutz .... Nespresso?!
Old 24th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These guys have the right idea... seen while xmas shopping
Old 18th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➡️
Does anybody else in this thread get severe withdrawal symptoms after not drinking coffee for a day or two??? heh
yep... i've even had some minor depression simptoms from coffee withdrawal... it's really addictive stuff...

also i need to have my nice coffee... it's not like any coffee will do....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a French press guy all the way...grind the beans, add boiling water, press away the dregs and drink the brew. No more heating after that, and no bleachy residue. That's coffee.

After you get used to drinking it fresh and unabused like that, you'll find you can actually taste what those white paper filters do to it...and you'll definitely taste the nasty change in composition that a hot plate creates.

Try one of those presses and pour the rest in a thermal carafe...you'll never go back.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman ➡️
I'm a French press guy all the way...grind the beans, add boiling water, press away the dregs and drink the brew. No more heating after that, and no bleachy residue. That's coffee.

After you get used to drinking it fresh and unabused like that, you'll find you can actually taste what those white paper filters do to it...and you'll definitely taste the nasty change in composition that a hot plate creates.

Try one of those presses and pour the rest in a thermal carafe...you'll never go back.
I never tried that. But somehow your explanation made me interested. Sonds like the simplest, fastest and most natural approach. I will definately try this....by tomorrow.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman ➡️

heh

Somehow, without ever having met you, I know that I like you. lol..

I bet when your buddies come over, ya'll argue who makes the coffee, thinking that YOUR coffee is better than the others... he he he he thumbsup

steelyfan
Old 19th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_rissole ➡️
I used to have a stovetop espresso maker but compared to even a cheap espresso machine, as long as you know how to use it, is still not as good. The flavour can be just as good but the crema and thickness of the coffee is just sad not to enjoy.
I don't think of the moka espresso makers as actual espresso. It's an espresso-like coffee, without the same thickness and crema.

I have the following coffee makers:

- single cup french press
- cuisinart drip machine (with thermal carafe, SUPER important)
- 4 cup moka
- delonghi espresso machine

I use whichever of them I prefer in the moment. Oh, and I have a cuisinart burr grinder, and I grind the beans right before I brew (again, makes a difference, but it's like the difference between prism and steinberg 816... it's there, but you have to know what you're tasting to know it).

Anyway, there is no ONE way to make great coffee, just as there is no one way to record an acoustic guitar.

I find making coffee an important part of the coffee enjoyment experience... but I also really like the way "The Grind" in Redwood City CA makes single cup made to order coffee, and the way "Cafe Sportiva" in Redwood City CA makes my double cafe macchiatto.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
its also important what you put in it

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Breville - BES860 (800 series)

After a few months with this bit of gear I gotta say its as Dope as a 160a on hip-hop vocals.

Completely ITB solution, and a great fusion of Digital and Analog technology.

Full range beans are captured and burr grinder is used for conversion.

For the cleanest results, bounce to filter via a secondary ballast, (going direct tends to leave more work in post-production)

The VU style pressure gauge helps you dial in the sweet spot, and encoders and dials let you tweak grind size and amounts to personal taste

The preset release times are very usable, but also programmable for futher tweakalizing.

All in all a very functional clean bit of gear that gives results against which cannot be argued.
thumbsup - (yep. two thumbs up)
📝 Reply