Quantcast
Off switch on meters! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Off switch on meters!
View Poll Results: Will small venues/theaters (soft seaters) have a future?
Yes, the same style of artists will grow into that role.
0 Votes - 0%
Yes, they will adapt and find a new niche.
1 Votes - 50.00%
No, the overheads will be to high and there wont be artists to preform that style venue.
1 Votes - 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Off switch on meters!

Is there one? Of course not - should there be one - IMHO absolutely. Not for dedicated sound engineers sake, but to confuse and discourage the not so up-to level mixers trying to pose as real sound engineers.

Alright thats a little harsh, this is not to discourage people from learning and to say every one should be as good as the best, but I have seen far to many people fall and fail because they get caught up in the visuals of mixing (this issue could easily be pushed to DAW use, which I still find myself a victim of).

Two many times have I had to adjust mixes or approach an engineer as a lead sound engineer at a festival about not hearing an instrument and been headed off with the argument that the meter shows its there. Maybe these are isolated incidents, but to me (and any decent engineer IMO) meters are a go to place when looking for issues or once your are comfortable in a room to set levels in sound check based on how an audience may affect levels (for example).

Consider me in favour of being able to turn off meters so people learning to mix learn to listen and trust their ears over a light.

Tell me your funny meter related stories!

(ps. I have had a good majority of my meter stories happen on midas console - go figure)
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
sorry poll in wrong thread and I have no idea how to remove it.

Last edited by Jacob H; 27th November 2009 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…