Quantcast
Beyer DT100 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyer DT100
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beyer DT100

is it me ? or are the beyer DT100 s the worst sounding headphone known to mankind?
i hate the buggers , always have
steve
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually they "can" (pun) be good for singers to help with pitch.

I have found that the lesser high freq response makes the fundimental of the pitch clearer and the fact they have big ear cups means that the sound emerges futher from the ear.

Sometimes a can which puts the trasnducer very close to the ear can cause a singer to sing slightly flat.

DT100 can definatley help is this regard, strange but true in my experience.

TMY
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thats an intresting concept, hmmmm, i have a way with auto tune, it goes like this,
can we do that bit again
and can we try this chorus again
can i drop in for that last line of verse 1

or put less politely, get back in that room and sing it again but a bit more in tune and with some feel, please.

back to the Beyers, but they sound so horrid, its demorilising for me, we strive to get such clear lovely rich tones , only to have them mangled by some rotten overoriced headphones.
steve
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
great for tracking... 1 ear on and 1 ear off is good for laying down vox in particular... for me anyway - but then i am used to them....good for tracking drums too - otherwise yes....they may well be the very worst SOUNDING headies i have ever placed on my dome....i actually like the look of them though - i feel like john or paul or anyone else who laid down a classic take with those honky bad-boys for company when i wear 'em....... but oh man they sound UGLY!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I agree ... TERRIBLE ... the one saving grace is the fact that you can easily get spare parts for all the components in the little blighters

But Lordy... they sound BAD ... and that's bad as in bad ... NOT good!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's funny, but when I first heard DT100s, I was actually impressed with the sound - which only goes to show how much worse the headphones I'd been used to prior to them must have been. Or maybe headphones have improved since then (that was back in the 70s).

I still have a couple of pairs of 100s kicking around, but they don't get much use. Everything else in the building, except maybe some iPod earbuds, sounds better than they do.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Studios prefer DT100s for two reasons:
  1. The components can be replaced
  2. They sound so awful that no-one will steal them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
haha!....so true!
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Beyond them sounding so horrible nobody would steal them, can anybody explain why Abbey Road uses them?

War
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
Beyond them sounding so horrible nobody would steal them, can anybody explain why Abbey Road uses them?

War
Or the BBC, for that matter - not to mention their prevalence (or at least, presence...) in film, broadcast and airline industries.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well look at it like this

it would explain why the sound on music shows on the bbc is so bad!
and im not sure they are the weapon of choice at Abbey road, i always take 2 pairs of hd 25 s everywhere i work, and also many of the house guys at abbey road and UK engineers, that i have met take there own headphones with them.
And would any of us buy equipment just because another studio uses them? i choose my gear because i like the way it helps me in my work.
Beyers are in almost every studio you go , in , why? i think its because they have been around for so long , that when they came out , there not a lot of choices in headphone models, and they were probably pretty good at the time in comparison, but now one can buy headphones that walk all over them for a fraction of the cost, i think we have just accepted them as the wallpaper in the studio, a bit like our British Queen, totally useless but been around so long we cant be bothered to upgrade her and her cronies.

Anarchy in the uk, ho hum
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
NS10's of headphone world ... a bit -- y'know ... iff'y ... but in all the studios, so there's a common reference point!

I can ONLY think it's down to the easy replacement of the various components.

I tell you another thing ... they do take some abuse when the singer's done a take and just lobs them on the floor afterwards... much prefer my Sennheissers sonically, but they are built like tissue paper!
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NS10 s? ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

im with you mate,
i would happily rather drink bleach with Ice , lemon and tonic water , than spend any time in the same studio as NS10s .
its a cunning joke , started by somebody at Beyer and then somebody at yamaha , thought lets see how much further we can make them pay too much for this C**p stuff and pretend its useful.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Honest ➑️
thats an intresting concept, hmmmm, i have a way with auto tune, it goes like this,
can we do that bit again
and can we try this chorus again
can i drop in for that last line of verse 1

or put less politely, get back in that room and sing it again but a bit more in tune and with some feel, please.

back to the Beyers, but they sound so horrid, its demorilising for me, we strive to get such clear lovely rich tones , only to have them mangled by some rotten overoriced headphones.
steve
Thease may suit you better:
STAX 4070 Closed back type Earspeaker on eBay (end time 14-Dec-09 04:15:50 GMT)
They are extremely good for screamo vocal recording, what with the 550 volts DC and huge amounts of spit and sweat about, any failure of insulation could add loads to the punkness and desperation of the screams.
But I personally have no problem with rugged, long lasting, solid, loud, forward in the mid closed back industry standard headphones. As soon as I am out of the booth, of course I am reaching for my Senhieser's to get another point of view.
I cant listen to NS10's or Tannoy Reds all day either, but they might tell me something I didn't know.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Probably another reason why they are ubiquitous is that when you are done tracking/overdubbing with them and go into the control room even an average sounding track will sound like a million dollars!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ahh but...

do you think your performer , performs better when there sound is lovely in there ears? i belive they do, a guitar player comes along , wit his lovely tele, his wonderful bespoke valve amp, a tray full of Robert keeley pedals, great quality leads, clean new strings and a head full of licks, he warms up while we mic up , selecting pres/eq s /comps, and then give him the headphones and his face contorts as he wonders what the F**K you did to his tone,
beyers are indefensible rubbish sounding headphones , but there are lots of spare arts avialable for them, and abbey road and the bbc bought so many pairs of them it will 2028 before they break the last pair and the accounts dept allow them to buy some proper modern headphones.
but with respect to all our posters , if they work for you , then thats plenty good enough.
best
steve
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm with you, Steve - I can't stand the things either. I take my own AKG cans and when I give them to vocalists, they all comment on how much better they sound than "those crappy old-skool ones".

I've never understood why places like Abbey Road use them, or why they're known as the industry standard. I think the only good thing about them is that they make people feel like they're in a top studio (and the impedance rating...)
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd come to the defense of the venerable DT-100.

Posters on this thread seem to be using them for music. Yeah, they're bad for that. Get something else.

For me, their best use is for when I have to boom a video EFP shoot - and I don't like using any other phones for that. When using a mic boom ("fishpole"), you have to be sure the talent is dead on axis of the mic, or you're screwed. With their emphasis on the voice range, the DT-100s will let me know this better than any other headphones I've found.

Also, you can wear them for hours on end without fatigue:
1. They are physically comfortable.
2. Without the hyped high end that many phones have, you can use them for long periods without ear fatigue.

Just my $0.02.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DT 100's ( now DT150's) were the standard for years in commercial studios because..to steal a line from Timex...they took a lickin and kept on tickin. Musicians are notoriously rough on headphones. Using one hand to remove...dropping on the floor...stepping on them. Every part is replaceable...they can be fixed.
They also have variants...single sided DT102 for string sessions. (an old school recording technique where you get a lot of musicians in a room who can actually play together & need to hear each other)
Old 2nd August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS ➑️
They also have variants...single sided DT102 for string sessions. (an old school recording technique where you get a lot of musicians in a room who can actually play together & need to hear each other)
Old 3rd August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankfield ➑️
Studios prefer DT100s for two reasons:
  1. The components can be replaced
  2. They sound so awful that no-one will steal them
πŸ“ Reply