Quantcast
Which Mic Preamp to get?????? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which Mic Preamp to get??????
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
any one of those pres will rock with the AKG, just pick one that you can get the best deal on and rawk!
Old 25th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

I totally agree. I've had my Creamer for a few weeks now, and it's simply the best! I hardly ever need to turn on any of the other pre's in my racks now! This thing sounds unbelievably good.
Old 16th February 2011
Sonic Farm Pro Audio

🎧 10 years
Sonic Farm Creamer Tape Op review is out!

Here, read an official Tape Op review of this Preamp:
Tape Op Magazine > Reviews > Creamer mic preamp
Old 18th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Since this thread still has a little life in it left, it deserves an update from me the original poster. I finally did pick up my first nice mic pre. I picked up an Aurora Audio GTQ2.

Now the question is what should my second mic pre be?

lol.
Old 18th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby ➑️
Since this thread still has a little life in it left, it deserves an update from me the original poster. I finally did pick up my first nice mic pre. I picked up an Aurora Audio GTQ2.

lol.
So u happy with your mic pre? Just read the whole thread..so u understand studio monitors are supposed to sound kind of flat and not necessarily sound good right?
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

lol.
Excellent choice. I've used many of these amps mentioned, including the Creamer,and have to say the GTQ2 is one of the best "1st choice" preamps out there.

For a second pre, if you want fast,clean,detail with gobs of headroom to compliment / augment the Aurora, get a Forssell
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➑️
Excellent choice. I've used many of these amps mentioned, including the Creamer,and have to say the GTQ2 is one of the best "1st choice" preamps out there.

For a second pre, if you want fast,clean,detail with gobs of headroom to compliment / augment the Aurora, get a Forssell
I agree wholeheartedly. The Forssell is a perfect compliment to a transformer coupled pre.
Old 25th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Bachenvy, to answer your question, I am happy with the GTQ2 but I honestly have nothing to compare it to since it is my first mic pre. I pretty much bought it based on research and after hearing from a very knowledgable guy, who owns a company that stocks studios with equipment, who said of the like "73 killer mic pres out there, if I could only pick one, I'd pick the GTQ2." So yeah, I can't compare it to anything else. I wasn't super knowledgable when buying it, so my first mic pre purchase wasn't one based on hearing comparisons. But now that I do have a good mic pre to compare other mic pres to, when I eventually get my next mic pre I will probably, or definitely, do a lot more of hearing tests to compliment my mic pre with a type of sound I don't have. Then at that point I can give you a really good answer about how I like the GTQ2. As for your question about monitors, yeah I do know that you don't necessarily want monitors that sound great, rather you want monitors that accurately represent what you've recorded to be able to mix correctly.

Rick and Baz, thanks for the advice about the Forsselle! When the day comes that I can afford another mic pre and need one, I will definitely check it out!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The Forssell SMP2 is fantastic!
The best we've tried so far.
Love it!

/Richard
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman ➑️
The Universal Audio is nice . .
+1, and pacifica too.
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok, guys.. I'm sure this is a stupid question, and I'll gladly accept the flame if I can get advice/answers

I'm currently recording on Protools with an AKG c3000b mic, and an Mbox2.. Here are my questions:

1. Is the Mbox2 considered a "pre amp", or can/should I buy a nice pre-amp, and run it from the mic, to the pre, to the mbox, to the computer? I'm a little lost in this aspect

2. Since I have protools, can I only use this mbox??? I ask because this is what came with protools when I originally bought it.

3. Does the mbox suck? I mean, am I selling myself short, and hurting the quality of my music by using this.

so you know, I mainly record vocals(hip hop r&b).

Thanks in advance for suggestions and answers.
Old 8th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
keczinum, sorry, never read your huge comment. Thanks for writing so many words in response to my question! Now to be fair to your effort and respond...

First, excellant point about doing some critical listening of mic pres and converters if I already am so postively OCD when shopping for monitors. I guess my big excuse is my location doesn't provide me with places to check out gear like say living in LA or NYC would. As for ordering gear to demo, I just can't live with the cost to demo units. And if I did I would probably demo like 20 units and that would eat up money fast.

As for monitors, I'm no longer stuck on getting the 5K KRK monitors. Now I'm looking at Event Opals or Dynaudio BM15's or BM12's. As for mixing with headphones, I do own monitors that I use, they're just super cheap crappy ones. But they do the job to a point. And I have come to realize that one CAN mix well without getting the most expensive monitors out there.

You make a good point about getting a subwoofer in addition to a pair of monitors if those monitors don't have great bass response. There I plead newbie ignorance, I just haven't understood how mixing with a subwoofer in the picture works if I am mostly mixing for the end resulting audio track to come out of a person's car speakers in cars that don't have a subwoofer in them. Like how does mixing to what I hear from a subwoofer, a single location, equate to the bass that ends up coming out of a stereo source, two mid-range speakers with limited bass? Anyways, once I do know more, I may end up buying a subwoofer.

As for acoustics, that's another topic I need to educate myself about. I do need to spend more time in the acoustics forum.

As for clean versus warm, I do intend to have gear that gives me clean and gear that gives me color/warmth. But the acquisition process with limited annual funds is very slow.

Lastly to make one last note, I started this thread when I knew almost nothing about most audio hardware out there. So I was a total newbie and any of my earlier posts may have been a bit ignorant and dumb. But I am literally learning a ton month to month, year to year, and I'm definitely getting somewhere. So it's an ongoing climb, one that I'm enjoying immensley.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
keczinum, one last comment. Yeah, initially I did fall into a Guitar Center and never found my way out. But now thanks in part to this forum and other Gearslutz now I can't even make any fun visit to my local GC's because they don't carry anything I want! Yeah, now it's all web browsing at Alto Music, Vintage King Audio, Mercenary Audio, etc!
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have UA Solo 610, Pacifica, Grace m101.

Warmth, color, character?

Of my three:

Most = Solo 610
Least = Grace m101

The Pacifica is colored, but a bit on the bright side. With your mics, I would go with the 610.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Jimmyboy, I have heard good things about that Grace mic pre and have had people recommend it for it's cleaness and transparency. Definitely something worth looking into at some point.

mattG, you are right, I have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but I'm slowly getting there. Self-tutelage only works so well without proper schooling. And I'm realizing that getting monitors doesn't necessarily mean I have to kill the bank. But as I said earlier, I'm looking at either the Event Opals or the Dynaudio options.

Baz, Withnail, and Rick Sutton, I actually did end up checking out Forssell finally as of recent. Although I was looking at their converters. Something I don't think I mentioned before is this, in addition to picking up an Aurora Audio GTQ2 mic pre, I also picked up a Burl B2 Bomber ADC. And because of the coloring of the Burl unit I was checking out the Forssell converters for something very clean and transparent. Although I need more channels of both A/D and D/A conversion, so an Apogee Symphony I/O might win that battle. But yeah, I also considered the Forssell mic pre as an option for the future. My problem is I don't know exactly how my GTQ2 sounds in relation to other mic pres. Because when I get a second mic pre I want something different sounding to give me versatility. Maybe something super-clean, or maybe a tube mic pre? I was checking out tube units from LaChapell, Electronaut, Pendulum, A-Designs, Tube-Tech, Manley, and Thermionic Culture.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Rhythmn Poetry, I'm no expert but I can give you some answers. Hopefully somebody already helped you with your questions in another thread though. I actually own an Mbox2 that I use for a certain process right now, making due as it is. Your answers -

No the Mbox2 isn't itself considered a standalone mic preamp. It is an audio interface that gives you inputs and outputs, digital and analog, to get your recordings to your Pro Tools software as well as other places such as your monitors, the speakers you use to hear what you've recorded. That said, your Mbox2 has 2 mic preamps built into it. You get two inputs on your mbox2 to hook up either one to two microphones or other gear like instruments that you plug in directly. Each of the two inputs have a mic preamp that powers your microphones. With a dynamic mic, like a Shure Sm57, you just hook it in. But with your AKG mic, a condenser type mic, you must also push the 48volt "phantom power" on your mbox front panel to give these particular mics the necessary power they need. If you wanted to, you could indeed buy a nicer, separate standalone mic pre and use it with the mbox2. The standalone mic pre would boost your weak mic signal to the necessary level, something called "line level" and then you would hook that into the inputs in your mbox2, but use the "line" inputs on the back rather than the "mic inputs" on the back. You don't use the mic inputs on the mbox2 because after boosting your mic signal with your other mic preamp, you don't additionally need to boost it further with the mic preamps built into the mbox2. And when you use the line inputs rather than the mic inputs, you bypass the mic preamps in the mbox2, and your signal is sent to Pro Tools and everything is fine.

As for pro tools and whether you're stuck using an mbox, I'm not quite sure. I think it depends on what version of Pro Tools you're using. Older versions of Pro Tools required you to use audio interfaces like your Mbox2 from only the brands M-Audio and Digidesign. But now with newer versions of Pro Tools I believe you can use whatever audio interface you want.

As for whether the mbox2 sucks, (which again I own and partially use for D/A conversion to monitors), yeah, you could do better for sure. However I've never done a shootout and compared the mbox2 with other units. I think people will tell you there are a lot more important things to do first before investing in a lot of expensive gear. Like make sure you're using a good instrument, and that your performance is good, and that you use good mics, and that you have good monitors, and you have good room acoustics. But if you were doing hip-hop and you were working on the instrument side, people use a lot of samples with samplers, and synthesizers and beat machines, and software synthesizers/drum machines, most of which normally get plugged straight into the line inputs of your mbox2 and bypass any need for a microphone or the use of mic preamps and should sound pretty great I suppose. The only issue with using your mbox2 is conversion, it might not be the best analog to digital converter. Meaning your instruments or vocals are analog signals and your mbox2 turns them into numbers, binary code, 1's and 0's, a digital signal that you use in pro tools, a digital audio workspace. So the conversion made by your mbox2 might not be topknotch. However, using the instruments I just mentioned with the line inputs of the mbox2, things should sound pretty decent.

As for your question about vocals you could always use better gear, such as nice mic preamps, nice hardware compressors, nice hardware eq's, nice mics, nice converters, etc. But with a limited budget your singing technique, the mic you're using, and what you do in Pro Tools mixing and tweaking stuff, will make the big difference. Trust me, if you're new to Gearslutz you'll soon learn a lot. Especially how twisted the search for "better quality recordings" can get. Spend 20 Grand, and you could still easily want to spend 50 grand more! There are mic pres out there that cost 9 grand. It's easy to go crazy money-wise, but what the veteran people here on this site will tell you again and again (as they do me), is that there is more to good recordings than owning crazy expensive gear. And also, some of the greatest albums ever recorded were recorded with gear many of these gearslutz here would consider substandard (or so I assume!).

Hope that helps!
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Electronaut
All extremely laudable options in your list Gatsby, I figured one more opinion on the ELECTRONAUT M63 could not hurt....

I would like to say that the M63 is starkly different from all others that I have experienced or tried...I am finding the M63 to be a radically interesting piece...It has a very cool twist of stealth speed invisibility and luxury first class air liner smoothness, that sits together perfectly. There is very high headroom and an extremely pure/linear engagement to the microphone. Yet, I can say for sure, that I think there is magic inside this thing, being that is [to my ear] the m63 attempts to bridge the gap between ultra dimensional staging of image without harshness and mojo/character. It would be quite cool and worth a try, to see if you might enjoy the kind of universal duality that lives inside the m63. It has a really original topology and is built amazingly well, from my perspective. I think I can also say that the sound, to my ear has a unique density and fortitude, fulfilling my desert island wish of "thick but clear" audio. Electronaut is using very cool sounding transformers in the M63. I think the features included in this package; and a specially designed Tube Rectified Power Supply ......means it might seldom compare to anything else. FWIW, I can also say that this preamp does not act like the tube rectifier in your power amps, and stays linear all the way through.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gatsby, do you mind posting a couple of recoring with your "new" pre and older ones with the mbox stock preamps? That would be cool!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Honestly I like Presonus preamps. They are relatively cheap equipment and good quality. I guess it depends on where you would use it.
Old 12th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Roc Mixwell/Adam, thanks for your opinions and comments! I must say in my initial stage looking for new gear, I first make lists of EVERYTHING out there. And initially, before further factual research is done, I admit I wrongly get a bit of gear lust based on just aesthetics and stylings... And with that said, the Electronaut M63 is one gorgeus piece gear!

But anyways, thanks for your comments and descriptions. The M63 sounds like a nice and interesting piece of gear. I'll definitely keep it high on my options list as I do further research. My one issue with the M63 from Electronaut is that I know they are handmade by one guy, and that Electronaut is a one-man business run by this guy, Mr. Cambell. I don't doubt the craftsmenship or durability of his products. My nervousness emerges because he's a one man business, he's in a very competitive business with lots of other mic pres available on the market, and this is happening during bad economic times in the U.S. My fear is that if I bought one and 7 years from now there was a problem and I needed repairs and fixing, that Electronaut could be out of business, or could have moved on to producing newer gear and not have the necessary parts needed for a repair. So yeah, that's my one issue with the M63. And I'm not saying anything negative about Mr. Cambell and his wonderful work. I might even end up buying a M63!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Julian, I'll consider doing what you ask, posting recordings to compare the mbox2 mic preamps versus those of my nicer, newer, dedicated mic pre the GTQ2. But right now I'm set up for recording acoustic guitar which I haven't had the success with that I have wanted, even with my nice mic pre. So both recordings might sound bad no matter the mic pres used. But I guess I could make two recordings of acoustic guitar. Otherwise it would have to be electric guitar. The best option for comparison would probably be vocals, but I don't sing!

So yeah, if I have time, I might try to make and post the recordings you're asking for.

But I just realized this! My GTQ2 mic pre sends it's output to my Burl A/D converter and into my DAW while the Mbox2 mic pres use the Mbox2's built in A/D converters. So a comparision that way wouldn't be fair because the Burl has better conversion and adds some analog character. I guess I would have to send the output of my GTQ2 pre into the "Line" inputs of the Mbox2 to be fair and use the Mbox2's converters. But then you must realize, if your goal is to find any sonic shortcomings from the mbox2, you'd miss discovering any shortcomings that are a result of it's poor converters.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks man!
Acoustic would be great...
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My one issue with the M63 from Electronaut is that I know they are handmade by one guy, and that Electronaut is a one-man business run by this guy, Mr. Cambell. I don't doubt the craftsmenship or durability of his products. My nervousness emerges because he's a one man business, he's in a very competitive business with lots of other mic pres available on the market, and this is happening during bad economic times in the U.S. My fear is that if I bought one and 7 years from now there was a problem and I needed repairs and fixing, that Electronaut could be out of business, or could have moved on to producing newer gear and not have the necessary parts needed for a repair. So yeah, that's my one issue with the M63. And I'm not saying anything negative about Mr. Cambell and his wonderful work. I might even end up buying a M63!
Hi People,

Please excuse the off-topic comment, but I wanted to reply to Gatsby's concern about Electronaut being a one-man shop, and the nervousness he might have about the long-term viability of such an enterprise.

First, I understand completely why it would seem like a more secure prospect to purchase a piece of gear from a larger, more well-established company than from a one-man shop. (I'm actually a three-person shop, if you count the interns!) I would have all the same thoughts if I were in the market for an expensive piece of gear, for sure. However, I think it's worth noting that despite my smallness as a company, I did show my work at the 2005 NAMM show, which was nearly 7 years ago, and I'm still at it. In many ways, the fun is just beginning, as we're finally at the point of having regular production runs, our dealer network is growing, and I have preamplifiers all over the world, in the U.S. and Canada as well as the U.K., Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, South Africa, and Australia.

But aside from all that, I would argue that in many ways you're better off buying something from any boutique manufacturer than from a larger corporate entity. Consider the fate of the Groove Tubes Vipre. Groove Tubes was a successful company with a solid reputation, yet when they merged with Fender, Fender decided not to support the Pro Audio line anymore. Now, not only is it impossible to get a Vipre serviced by Groove Tubes, but it appears to be impossible to even get any documentation on the unit for a third-party repair service to use. (One of my customers also owns a Vipre that stopped working, and he asked me to fix it for him. It was not fun, believe me.) To make matters worse, the late model Vipres were assembled in China, and appear to be more prone to problems. Unfortunately, there is just nobody to call.

By contrast, consider people like Doug Fearn, Scott LaChapell, Dan Kennedy, Dave Hill, etc. These are people who are very passionate about their work, have excellent reputations, make great gear, and are still going strong. They obviously take great pride in what they do, enough to associate their own name with the brand, and they back up their claims with action. I aspire to prove my place amongst that crowd.

Lastly, regarding parts availability, etc... The M63 does not have any esoteric, hard to find components, and repair work is extremely easy due to the design. (I can pull out an entire channel in under a minute.) Any repair work could be performed by any qualified tech. (Although for the record, in the unlikely event that a repair is needed, I'd like to be the one to do it in order to see what went wrong and why.)

Anyway, this is not at all meant to come off as a sales pitch for Electronaut, but rather a championing of all the boutique manufacturers that are run by people who care passionately about their work. They'll get my vote, and my pennies, every time I have a choice!

Rob Roy M. Campbell
Electronaut
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info Mr. Cambell! You should post that same info in any other Electronaut threads here because it's good to know. I'm sure I'm not the first person who might wonder if there are any negatives to investing in a high-end piece of gear from a small maker during these tough economic times, not just you in particular, but from any small boutique manufactuars. But I definitely have no doubt in the quality of products you, Mr. Cambell, make and the others you listed. Actually my mic pre is made by a pretty small business, Aurora Audio, and I'm loving it. And I feel very comfortable in my purchase because while the company is very small, the people, Geoff Tanner in this instance, bend over backwards to help customers. Where as the big companies can be hell. I'm guessing the same would apply with Electronaut.

So yeah, great info to know Mr. Cambell! I didn't know you've been in business for 7 whole years, good to hear and learn. Good to know about your growing dealer network. And very good to know about the common, easy to find components and the ease at which your units can be repaired. I had to wonder about the repairs, but it was almost an invalid question because I know the equipment from guys like you, Mr. Fearn, Mr. LaChapell, etc, are built like tanks and last decades.

So thanks from all for posting that info and making that effort here in these forums that some larger companies don't spend a second on. Lastly, whoever developed your company name, Electronaut, deserves great praise, it's a pretty cool name in my opinion.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here Julian... I must say, I'm far from an excellant acoustic guitar player. And these audio clips were not processed in any way with hardware or software, meaning eq, or compression. All the audio clips could really use compression to reduce the harsh, loud peaks, and bring up in volume the nicer, sweeter, quiet stuff. There's definitely a need for compression. There's also an issue with the proximity effect from the mic I was using, meaning in parts of each clip where the chord involves the thickest strings, there's some bad bass blowing up your speakers and maybe causing a little distortion. I could have worked on that with the eq section of my mic pre, but I excluded the eq section for these recordings so that it would be a fair comparison. The mic used was an AKG414 large condenser, and the mic pres were the mbox2 audio interface or an Aurora Audio GTQ2 mic pre. The recording was in mono during live recording and in Logic. There was no stereo panning. For the first clips I used the A/D conversion of the mbox2 to be fair. I plugged the line outputs from the GTQ2 mic pre into the line inputs of the mbox 2 with the gain on the mbox 2 all the way down. After that, I used my Burl B2 Bomber A/D converter rather than the mbox2 converter so as to give example of the difference. Do note that the acoustics of the recording area weren't great. Listen to all these clips through good speakers, the differences are subtle. Lastly, all these clips are Mp3's, but I also have WAV files if desired. Here is a list of the five files that are attached and a description of what they are.

Files -

Mbox2 Pres + A:D mp3 - Using the Mbox2's mic pre and it's A/D conversion.

GTQ2 Pres -Gain Mbox2 A:D mp3 - Using GTQ2 mic pre and Mbox2's A/D conversion with slightly less gain from GTQ2 than the other clip below

GTQ2 Pres +Gain Mbox2 A:D High mp3 - Using GTQ2 mic pre and Mbox2's A/D conversion with slightly more gain from GTQ2 than clip above

GTQ2 Pres + Burl A:D -12db mp3 - Using GTQ2 mic pre and Burl's A/D conversion with input level at -12db on Burl

GTQ2 Pres + Burl A:D -22db mp3 - Using GTQ2 mic pre and Burl's A/D conversion with input level at -22db on Burl
Attached Files

Mbox2 Pres + A:D.mp3 (657.0 KB, 236 views)

GTQ2 Pres -Gain Mbox2 A:D.mp3 (664.4 KB, 196 views)

GTQ2 Pres +Gain Mbox2 A:D High.mp3 (654.5 KB, 190 views)

GTQ2 Pres + Burl A:D -12db.mp3 (609.5 KB, 261 views)

GTQ2 Pres + Burl A:D -22db.mp3 (646.2 KB, 217 views)

Old 13th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks so much, man!
I kind of tired now, but tomorrow IΒ΄ll listen with fresh ears... Thanks again!
Old 20th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Love the tube preamps too, here's an interesting shootout of high-end units:
Stereo Tube Preamp: D.W. Fearn, Tube-Tech, QES Labs
Old 4th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good day all,

This is just another cheer for the Electronaut. I recently completed a shootout for the final production version of my microphone system and had the pleasure of auditioning the M63 pre first hand...on a variety of high end microphones going direct to PTHD 24/96, no eq, no compression....and all I can say is wow.

I'm saddened that I don't own one, and the following is purely an opinion and obviously subjective... and please forgive my hyperbolic mellifluousness in which I am not immediately prone to but...

...it is by far the best sounding, modern, tube pre-amp I have ever used. If microphones preamplifier's sonic imprint could be hand churned via French style meringue buttercream then this is what it would sound like....it drizzled the sweet honey like ambrosia... a'la' Aristophanes... of bene-sonus upon all it encountered. Sweet & smooth but not heavy handed or imposing....easily lending it's subtle beauty without fuss or an egregious "tubey" overlay of harmonic slosh. Upon unboxing said item from the robust and old world Titanic-esque steamer trunk I heard Queen's "Flash" briefly emerge from the ether of the live room. Sound!?...nuff' said.

It is built to Panzer lV like standards and literally has aircraft grade switches. It has exceptional aesthetic design and a superbly implemented original circuit with high grade components throughout. I have spoken to Mr.Campbell several times and have found something of a kindred design spirit in him...and we will subsequently be displaying together at this years AES.

I wish him well with all his endeavors and I hope he might be able to usher in a new standard in tube & transformer design. His product should get more attention than it does.

It is very rare an instant in which I am completely impressed, and this was one. Kudos and hats off to Mr. Rob Roy Campbell.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Mic Preamp to get??????-electronaut.jpg  
Old 31st October 2011 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-AP.SCI ➑️
Good day all,

This is just another cheer for the Electronaut. I recently completed a shootout for the final production version of my microphone system and had the pleasure of auditioning the M63 pre first hand...on a variety of high end microphones going direct to PTHD 24/96, no eq, no compression....and all I can say is wow.

I'm saddened that I don't own one, and the following is purely an opinion and obviously subjective... and please forgive my hyperbolic mellifluousness in which I am not immediately prone to but...

...it is by far the best sounding, modern, tube pre-amp I have ever used. If microphones preamplifier's sonic imprint could be hand churned via French style meringue buttercream then this is what it would sound like....it drizzled the sweet honey like ambrosia... a'la' Aristophanes... of bene-sonus upon all it encountered. Sweet & smooth but not heavy handed or imposing....easily lending it's subtle beauty without fuss or an egregious "tubey" overlay of harmonic slosh. Upon unboxing said item from the robust and old world Titanic-esque steamer trunk I heard Queen's "Flash" briefly emerge from the ether of the live room. Sound!?...nuff' said.

It is built to Panzer lV like standards and literally has aircraft grade switches. It has exceptional aesthetic design and a superbly implemented original circuit with high grade components throughout. I have spoken to Mr.Campbell several times and have found something of a kindred design spirit in him...and we will subsequently be displaying together at this years AES.

I wish him well with all his endeavors and I hope he might be able to usher in a new standard in tube & transformer design. His product should get more attention than it does.

It is very rare an instant in which I am completely impressed, and this was one. Kudos and hats off to Mr. Rob Roy Campbell.
I was able to hear the M63 with the Dimitri's "Pegasus", at this years AES show and I thought it was a seriously EXCELLENT combination of tonal prowess, to my ear anyway. I've used the M63 [with condensers/ribbons/dynamics] in person on a number of things,,,,,and man, I think it has a seriously engaging quality of tone, that you probably won't find anywhere else!!! A totally unique and different thing, from what I am used to with tube designes. My hats off to Rob and Dimitri! For making tooooooooob stuff that is unexplainable!!!!!!!! You guys are the cow's utters!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Good to hear some glowing reviews of the M63. Just based on looks it's always had me drooling for some reason...

JulianFernandex, don't know if you ever checked out those posted recordings above in this thread, maybe they were too substandard to be of use, I admit I'm no pro at this. I recently learned that at the time I wasn't setting my mic pre and burl converter correctly and I wasn't knowing enough to pursue the correct levels in my DAW when I made those recordings. So if they weren't helpful or up to snuff, do know my acoustic recordings I'm currently making with that gear are far better and that there is no fault with the Aurora Audio GTQ2 mic pre I own. Simply human error. Otherwise if those posted recordings were helpful in any way, I'm glad to be of service.
πŸ“ Reply