Quantcast
Reflexion filter = being returned tomorrow! :-) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reflexion filter = being returned tomorrow! :-)
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Reflexion filter = being returned tomorrow! :-)

Bought one of these last night and gave it a barrage of tryouts today. Singing, speaking, etc with and without the filter in my room which IS Auralex treated (guessing about 50% or so coverage). I bought this to obviously keep any stray relfections out of the mic, figuring there's treatment directly behind the singer there probably should be some behind the mic - again, my room is nicely treated but not fully covered in Auralex (would sound too dead).

Anyhow, the difference was so ridiculously subtle there's no point keeping it. Especially at the price tag. It only cut down slapback a very tiny bit, there was only a tiny bit anyway. It was kinda hard to tell and I had to A/B for a long time to really gather what little it was doing. It also seems to slightly boost the bass response of vocals, likely due to some small amount of reflection back off the unit. That wasn't a problem though.

In the end I found that holding up two sheets (back to back) of 2'x4' Auralex 2" foam similarly curved yielded the best results. Better dampening and no enhanced bass response. So, that's what I'm going to do, rig up two stuck together sheets of Auralex. The sheets are $27 each at GC. I can probably mount it using two $15 cheapo mic stands so that comes out to $88.

I wanted to like the thing, I really did, but I'm walking away with the word "gimmick" ringing in my head. I know I know, it's supposedly marketed to people who's rooms aren't treated. I get that. A lot of people here however have reported better results using it in a treated room. Also, before everyone starts asking, yes I tried it with the mic in various positions and did my final tests using the recommend, and IMO preferred, position of aligned with the edges of the filter.

So tomorrow or so back it goes to GC.

Rev.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine is collecting dust in a pile of audio gear junk on the floor of my apartment.

I do actually use it sometimes (not in a while obv) because i have a small closet here at home that i turned into a vocal booth before i built my current studio. It is useful in the closet, even though i have other acoustic treatment in there as well.

But other than that, meh.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
always been tempted by this thing. would love something like it. I figure for a ribbon this might do wonders just because it will stop the ribbon from picking up to much from the other side.

I had an idea for a hanging foldable half vocalbooth. maybe one day Ill try to make it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I heard the realtraps version of this is a lot better... Anyone know for sure?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eascholz ➑️
I heard the realtraps version of this is a lot better... Anyone know for sure?
never tried the reflection filter, but I have the PVB from RT. I really like it, it made a big difference for me when recording vocals. It's a handy device, also used it recently to tame reflections coming from a amplifier while miking an electric guitar recording.
JSG
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My Reflexion Filter works well for me in my untreated room. I did have to find the right location within the room though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i bought one years ago and sold it a month later. right after it fell over with a u87 in it. make sure you have the stand very well supported!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
do the Sound on Sound trick on your reflection filter, then the weight of it will be more directly over the mic stand pole... unscrew some bits, turn them the other way or upside down and put it all back together. I cant explain it in words, but the process has been explained at least twice in the magazine very good idea.

and.. check out the videos on realtraps comparing their pvb with the reflection filter:
RealTraps - Videos ....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Jorn Lavoll;4826201]do the Sound on Sound trick on your reflection filter, then the weight of it will be more directly over the mic stand pole... unscrew some bits, turn them the other way or upside down and put it all back together. I cant explain it in words, but the process has been explained at least twice in the magazine very good idea.

Here's the link to the Sound on Sound technique:
Q. How do you make a Reflexion Filter more stable?

I did it to mine and it definitely helped to stabilize things...pretty unwieldy contraption!
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess I am one of the lucky ones..my room is barely treated and my mic set up right in the middle of the room with NOTHING around it sounds great!!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I bought one right around the time they first showed up in GC. Had it about a week or 2, then sold it for what I paid for it.

First off, like the OP, I found the difference to be negligible -- especially with the price tag in mind.

Secondly, the thing is just a pain in the ass. For my personal setup (just a "one-man-band" kinda deal) it really impedes creativity... If youve got it set up for a vocal take, but you suddenly get an idea for a guitar riff, you can forget about it. Its so heavy and cumbersome that moving it isn't a simple process (as far as placement, speed, and not knocking it over goes)
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny this came up, I was just thinking about getting the Real Traps portable vocal booth... anyone else with experience?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The first thing I did was mount it the way shown on SOS, definitely a must! It's very stable with the SOS method. However, the thing is just no better than two pieces of acoustic foam setup curved around the back if the mic. And... it's a LOT cheaper!

Rev.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I record all my vocals in an untreated room and it does wonders for me. Love it! But I can understand where your coming from. It being in an already treated room, you probably wouldn't see a difference. Although I have seen engineers use it on some really big sessions in a professional vocal booth.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a semi-treated vocal room and I stopped it using it too, because the difference was negligible.

The best use I found for it was when rehearsing with a singer or when recording drum takes with a band. Especially if the singer has wide dynamic range, it's almost like wearing a helmet!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like it.
We use it over the mono 47 overhead in our big room.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Untreated rooms apply only

In a well treated room, you will not hear much of a difference. But the filter is really for use in untreated areas. Before my studio was built , I was doing recordings in an unfinished basement, and without the filter, it would have severely suffered. Now, I have a treated vocal booth, and it sits behind a guitar mic in a live room.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love mine. Not only for vocals, but for instruments too. Works even in a treated room, although (certainly) the difference is bigger, when used in untreated spaces.
TD

🎧 15 years
1. unscrew ALL the gubbins on it.
2. screw the filter DIRECTLY onto a mic stand
3. get another stand and place the SIDE address mic in EXACTLY the way specified by SE - tiny deviations make a BIG difference with this bit of gear.
4. Most front firing mics wont sit far back enough in the filter to gain any benefit
5. Think outside the box with this bit of gear - its ACE
a) great for the REAR of fig 8 mics in very live or unpleasant sounding rooms/low ceiling situations
b) great for some more isolation on the open side of c-ducer mics
c) can be very handy to gain some more separation on multiple close mic'd acoustic guitars played close together etc...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn Lavoll ➑️
do the Sound on Sound trick on your reflection filter, then the weight of it will be more directly over the mic stand pole...
Or use two mic stands, one for the RX and one for the mic. It makes mic placement a bit more wieldy as well.

r,
j,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would imagine it would be more effective when using an omni or figure 8 mic.
Paying 200$ for one is ridicoules , you can build a whole vocal booth made of diy gobos for that much. heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 ➑️
I would imagine it would be more effective when using an omni or figure 8 mic.
Paying 200$ for one is ridicoules , you can build a whole vocal booth made of diy gobos for that much. heh
Well see, that's kind of my point. For one, at the $300 price tag one could easily treat a room with Auralex, even with non-permanent mounting. Auralex can be mounted really easily without damaging the walls with glue and stuff. So, why not just treat the walls? But even still, as I mentioned it seemed to me that curving two pieces of back to back 2" Auralex foam did a better job and would still cost $200 less than the seRF.

I'm not saying the seRF is totally useless, not at all. I am however saying there are far cheaper/better solutions.

Rev.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle ➑️
i bought one years ago and sold it a month later. right after it fell over with a u87 in it. make sure you have the stand very well supported!
You got that one right. I did the same, U87 crash.

BTW I hate Christmas Music, but this is actually entertaining. A 5.1 surround Christmas record done entirely with battery operated CASIO keyboards. Kasio Kristmas

Happy Holidays
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Man, I can't even imagine an 87 crash! lol, I had a far cheaper mic on when it dumped on me, and it was enough to not want to use it again!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
At a session I was playing on I had a mic stand with the Reflexion filter fall into my $3K guitar. Left a very nice scratch on the top. If the filter had been mine, I would have thrown it out that minute.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
In all fairness I don't see how anyone couldn't figure out a smarter/safer way to mount this thing, even before SOS' article. Granted the included mounting method is insane, but I mean, before I found the SOS article I saw the mounting mechanism and instantly thought, "No way, I'm mounting this thing on it's own mic stand". But with the SOS article I didn't need to. Someone else also said you can mount the filter directly onto the threading on the top of a typical mic stand (ie. bypassing using the assembly). Haven't tried it but the threading does look the same size. Cheapo mic stands are $15 or so, not a problem to mount it on it's own. Meh

Rev.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So to sum up what im reading in this thread.

1) It won't do much for you if your room is treated.

2) It's handy for figure-8 polar patterns

3) It's prone to falling and/or causing the stand it's mounted on to topple over, possibly damaging anything from a U87 to an acoustic guitar.

Are we good now?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b ➑️

3) It's prone to falling and/or causing the stand it's mounted on to topple over, possibly damaging anything from a U87 to an acoustic guitar.

Are we good now?
Well = I would disagree with points 1 and 3, but thats just me
Operator error can be everything with this device!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid ➑️
Well = I would disagree with points 1 and 3, but thats just me
Operator error can be everything with this device!
Well, i definitely disagree with point #3, and i'm on the fence about point #1. I was simply summing up what most people seem to be saying.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b ➑️

Are we good now?
Well, no!
1. it will do less, but still very reasonable.
2. yes (not only then)
3. no. It is: 1. user error or 2. the person does not have any decent mic stand.

TD
πŸ“ Reply