Quantcast
Reflexion filter = being returned tomorrow! :-) - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reflexion filter = being returned tomorrow! :-)
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➡️
I guess I am one of the lucky ones..my room is barely treated and my mic set up right in the middle of the room with NOTHING around it sounds great!!

Same here. I bought it after I have heard it in my friend's house.

I was recording in the closet (crawl in closet), big enough for one person to get inside and stand with arms positioned like a T-Rex, scrapping your head on the ceiling, with a small oxygen hole in the door to breathe, and looking to the right of the reflexion filter on your lyrics, with a ghetto light hanging above your head...AND it sounded AWESOME.

heh
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The reflexion filter and similar products do not have enough surface area or sufficient absorptive material depth and / or trapping design to effectively control the reflected energy generated in the lowest octave in a male vocal. Because of the imbalance of spectral control (more HF absorbed) these devices often leave a vocal somewhat tubby and robbed of life.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➡️
The reflexion filter and similar products do not have enough surface area or sufficient absorptive material depth and / or trapping design to effectively control the reflected energy generated in the lowest octave in a male vocal. Because of the imbalance of spectral control (more HF absorbed) these devices often leave a vocal somewhat tubby and robbed of life.
It's funny that you mentioned the word "tubby". My friend bought one to use in his small basement setup. That's exactly how we thought it sounded in his room. Tubby. Kind of hollow sounding. Of course god knows what else was wrong with his room. He returned it a few days later. We got the best results by just hanging a couple of blankets. Also I convinced him to by an sm7b.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ours lasted three days, before I returned it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jval ➡️
Funny this came up, I was just thinking about getting the Real Traps portable vocal booth... anyone else with experience?
Yes, I purchased the Real Traps PVB a few months back and I think it's absolutely phenomenal. No room, whatsoever. The vocals are focused and sound MUCH better than anything I've tried in the past.

Here's a short, unmixed clip: www.mikeplas.com/mike/cjcho.mp3
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➡️
Hi Michael, thanks for chiming in on this thread. I agree with your assessment of many devices out there. You're quite right that performance of devices like this is limited at bass frequencies, which will tend to diffract around smaller objects. Our PVB is made from our MicroTraps, which are effective down to about 250Hz or so. In my experience, the PVB seems to conform to this response in practice.

I find it important to make sure the performer/mic is not set up in a peak or null point of the room. If the low end is clear in that location, then the PVB takes care of the rest.

Also, the PVB has more than enough surface area (8 square feet) to be very effective at close proximity to the microphone. It works both ways: when a singer sings into it, less sound of their voice gets out into the room in the first place. And, it also absorbs reflections on the way back into the microphone.

Even if you are recording in a treated room, you can use the PVB to control how much room sound gets into the recording. For instance, I once recorded a hand drum duo in a large, very reverberant room. I set each of them up with a close mic with a PVB, and got a very nice, tight, dry sound. Then I had another set of room mics out in the room to get the live tone. I then had both sounds at my disposal for mixing. It works very well.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Reflection Filter and I absolutely love it and wouldn't record vocals w/o it. My room is treated though so that may yield a difference. I also never had a problem with it falling over. If you buy a tripod stand and weigh it done, you're good. People compliment the quality of of my vocals so it must be doing something right =) I def. know there's a huge difference with and without it in an untreated room but again, it all depends on the room. All I can say is try it and keep the receipt!
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just bought the reflection filter yesterday. I think the trick is to modify it so the mic gets as close to the reflection filter wall as possible. I only use the reflection filter itself on a microphone stand and not all the other parts.

It also seems to be important to be singing close to the mic for full effect.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee ➡️
It also seems to be important to be singing close to the mic for full effect.
I did sing up close to it. My main point was that in my moderately treated room it did nothing, or so little to not be worth the $300 price tag. Actually, since I've returned it I've added 4 more sheets worth of 2" Auralex 2'x4' sheets. Two of the sheets I cut in half and stuck the 4 squares up on the ceiling, which only originally had 4 12"x12" squares. The ceiling was the problem reflection point and treating it further made the room perfect, no need for any filter at all now. I just have my singer with his back to the wall (Auralex treated) and that's it. Works great.

Granted I know everyone says it's best in an untreated room, but I simply can't see how. The reflections I heard in my treated room were not resolved with the RF. And to think it would do better in a totally untreated room just doesn't jive with my logic. $300 spent in room treatment (and it does NOT have to be permanently mounted) would do far better. I know this doesn't help those that travel and such but if I were to invest in any of these types of devices I would certainly go with the RealTraps Portable Vocal Booth instead.

Rev.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got a Reflexion Filter here in the composing room -- works great since I can have it in the control room and still get usable sounds. If it's in the recording room, then there isn't a point since why use it in a treated room.

I thought the whole point was to be able to record in 'unrecordable' situations/locations with it and get better results.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
Got a Reflexion Filter here in the composing room -- works great since I can have it in the control room and still get usable sounds. If it's in the recording room, then there isn't a point since why use it in a treated room.

I thought the whole point was to be able to record in 'unrecordable' situations/locations with it and get better results.
Its already been said but it is true

1.If you have a great room you wont get as much benefit and 2. positioning of the mic in relation to the filter makes a big difference.

I think it is a really good piece of kit
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I recently used the clamp assemblies from 2 of these very effectively for mounting ambient mics on a lighting scaffold!

The filters are very useful on location recording for horns, and sometimes acoustic bass if too near the kit. I don't use them on live gigs though, as that would look a bit pony :-)
Old 9th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop ➡️
It's funny that you mentioned the word "tubby". My friend bought one to use in his small basement setup. That's exactly how we thought it sounded in his room. Tubby. Kind of hollow sounding. Of course god knows what else was wrong with his room. He returned it a few days later. We got the best results by just hanging a couple of blankets. Also I convinced him to by an sm7b.
That can work if you have nothing else, but you can also build panels 6' high out of rigid fiberglass and hing them together. I would make them 3" thick so when followed up it can act as a bass trap when in the corner.

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➡️
I also think GIK's option is also a better alternative. For the same price, $299, you get a 6" tall bi-fold panel 3.5" thick. Problem is, the GIK option and the PVB both don't have the "cool" look of the RF, and that does influence a lot of people.

Rev.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 ➡️
I also think GIK's option is also a better alternative. For the same price, $299, you get a 6" tall bi-fold panel 3.5" thick. Problem is, the GIK option and the PVB both don't have the "cool" look of the RF, and that does influence a lot of people.

Rev.
Hey if it helps we can spay paint "cool" on the panel.
Hey if you really want it we could put art on it, but it would raise the price by about $1000 bucks. heh

Needless to say I was giving the person advise on building something instead of using moving blankets. As I said you can use them but there are other ways to get a much better result.
📝 Reply