Good sounding Acoustic Guitar for Studio...400EUR - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good sounding Acoustic Guitar for Studio...400EUR
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Good sounding Acoustic Guitar for Studio...400EUR

A freind is gonna get an acoustic guitar, and wants something which will record nice for around 400 Euro. He's looking for a tight, not too bright sound.

Any suggestions?

Sure, he can go to a music store and just try out a bunch, but as you know what mics pick up differs from what the player hears...
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try Tanglewood guitars, for the money they are excellent instruments.

I remember when I bought mine I auditioned it against Takamine's costing twice as much and the sound was bolder, warmer, more solid and less thin.. I was quite surprised because years earlier I owned a Takamine.

I sold my small body Tanglewood cutaway but kept my 12 string which I use with 6 strings for recording - I love it.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want something with body and REAL cheap try an F310 Yamaha

good sound for the price and you won't worry if it gets banged about a bit.....new set of strings and it can perform like guitars twice it's price
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
That's not much money for a decent acoustic really. I'd look at blueridge - cheap Martin copies that actually have some body to the sound. Why do studio guys spend so much on mics/pres etc and always want cheap instruments??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davevr2002 ➑️
That's not much money for a decent acoustic really. I'd look at blueridge - cheap Martin copies that actually have some body to the sound. Why do studio guys spend so much on mics/pres etc and always want cheap instruments??
To save money
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislpp ➑️
To save money
Yeah but your sound is only as good as your guitar, which was part of the criteria on the original post. It just seems pointless to me if you're buying somthig with recording in mind. It's very akin to 'what's the best U47 copy for a grand'!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
For that sort of money my move would be to take a chance on american ebay based on info and gut feeling. But then I generally don't like new guitars much. For that money you could get a 60's Gibson LGO, a 70's Guild D-25, a newish Martin 00015 mahogany......or for even less some old, but chances are quite nice Epiphones........any of which, unless you get bad luck and it has a hidden issue is likely to beat the pants off anything new for that cash.

Depends on what type of stuff he's recording as well. Say if you want to record intimate picking (=to me small body with less bass than sounds good in the room so you can move in close on the mic without boom trouble) or strumming (= could be great J200 stylee, BIG things....miked a bit further off) the ideal tool rather differs.....
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I got an epiphone masterbuilt a year ago - it's awesome. a lot of my buddies like to borrow it even though they all have better acoustics like martins... it's real wood, has a lot of body... it's an acoustic electric - I could have done without the electric part in hindsight, but I guess it's nice to have.

Epiphone DR-500ME | Sweetwater.com
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davevr2002 ➑️
Yeah but your sound is only as good as your guitar, which was part of the criteria on the original post. It just seems pointless to me if you're buying somthig with recording in mind. It's very akin to 'what's the best U47 copy for a grand'!
So then if there isn't enough money for a U47 there just will be no recording?? lol
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
So then if there isn't enough money for a U47 there just will be no recording?? lol
Yeah that's exactly what I was saying..... *goes over dudes head*
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios ➑️
I got an epiphone masterbuilt a year ago - it's awesome. a lot of my buddies like to borrow it even though they all have better acoustics like martins... it's real wood, has a lot of body... it's an acoustic electric - I could have done without the electric part in hindsight, but I guess it's nice to have.

Epiphone DR-500ME | Sweetwater.com
+1 on the epi masterbuilt's (sans electronics) and for recording it's hard to beat the balanced tone and response of the smaller bodied OM model. Hey, they're good enough for Alex Lifeson...

My OM is a Martin but I like the tone and quality of the epi materbuilt's for the money.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
check out furch guitars from the czech republc. They are popular among many of my friends.
bigos
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the input so far!

Keep it coming...

He says he is maybe gonna get a the epiphone copy of gibsons hummingbird.

Any experience with that one?

BTW, he isn't buying a guitar for the studio. He's a guitarist and wants a good sounding acoustic, which he can record some decent soundsa with, if he wants to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seagull.

I have this one (among others) and its blows me aways how good it sounds and how great the build is.

Seagull Guitar Models
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
A second hand Tokai Cat'e Eyes model either, late 70s or early 80s, or one of their older Hummingbird series. Other one to look for is a Tama made in the 1970s. For the money you have NONE of the other suggestions come even close..

Expect to pay 150-450 Euros for a Cat's Eye depending on the series. The 200s are the cheapest rising to the 400s which as as good as any Martin. The Hummingbird , about the same price depending on the series, 100-300, from memory..

The other suggestions, some are nice guitars However, they are not in the same ball park as the Tokais in any way shape or form when it comes to sound, or build quality. The same goes for the Tamas which are, seriously beautiful acoustics if you get a good one from the late 70s.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I second the Epiphone masterbilts, I chose a masterbilt over a taylor that was twice the price, because it sounded pretty damn close.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't buy an acoustic without playing it!!!

He needs to just play every guitar he can get his hands on and pick his favorite. Yes, the sound might change a bit when mic'd, but he'll still make a much better decision than if he just goes off of other peoples' opinons.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
^^sure

All I want to do is get some opinions and then he can sit and play a few to see which one he likes best.

Who as a guitarist would ever buy a guitar without playing it??
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet ➑️
Seagull.

I have this one (among others) and its blows me aways how good it sounds and how great the build is.

Seagull Guitar Models

Seagull guitars do sound great, but just watch out for distorting of the tops due to poor bracing in some models. Not sure which ones have or had the problem ( one of my brother's had one that did that) the top started to bow round the bridge and had to be re-braced. Having said that I have heard and played some really nice ones....including a 12 string ( another brother of mine has that one).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 on the Seagull.

I started this same exact thread last year.

Ended up with a Seagull. I got the 25th anniversary model.

It's very nice. All solid wood. Sounds great. Feels great. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have on of those Little Martins which I really like. Also have some more expensive grown-up guitars, but I use the Little Martin quite a lot for recording actually.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone here own a Walden model? I was looking at some acoustic guitars today and I thought it sounded better than the Seagulls lying around... More body etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
I have on of those Little Martins which I really like. Also have some more expensive grown-up guitars, but I use the Little Martin quite a lot for recording actually.
Me too.

BirdlandMusic.Net Martin Sigma DM-1STCE Cutaway Acoustic-Electric - Free shipping
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wounded up getting a Martin DX1 for 740 euros.

I tried most of the guitars in two stores and that one came out as winner in the less-than-1.250 euros category, strangely enough. I was very surprised by the price!

For those looking in the 400-500 euro category: I suggest you save up another couple hundred, the difference in sound really is stunning.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow ➑️
I wounded up getting a Martin DX1 for 740 euros.

I tried most of the guitars in two stores and that one came out as winner in the less-than-1.250 euros category, strangely enough. I was very surprised by the price!

For those looking in the 400-500 euro category: I suggest you save up another couple hundred, the difference in sound really is stunning.
I like the DX1, it's got full body with a tight bottom end but one of the cool things about it is the mids seem really aggressive and I like that about it. Decent bang for the buck and I'd be willing to bet as the guitar ages, the mids will mellow a bit.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
for that sorta money i would really buy a EKO 70s acoustic - so cheap but better than any modern day guitar - they sound great - trust me, im not bonkers!
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritospencer ➑️
for that sorta money i would really buy a EKO 70s acoustic - so cheap but better than any modern day guitar - they sound great - trust me, im not bonkers!
I'll back that! A Ranger is a thing of beauty! heh
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
epiphone masterbilt... all solid woods, ~$600 usd.
πŸ“ Reply