EZDrummer Cymbal sound....too harsh? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EZDrummer Cymbal sound....too harsh?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
EZDrummer Cymbal sound....too harsh?

Got myself a copy of EZDrummer and thought I'll find it quite useful to get some ideas down for my parttime-songwriting stuff. Did a quick run through the sounds and...the cymbals on POP/ROCK kit sound really harsh to me.

Anyone else noticed that? Could this be due to bad SRC (I'm using 44.1 here)? How do you guys feel about this?

I'm thinking of selling the package again straight away because of the cymbal sound...
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think so... Neither at 44.1 or 88.2. They're "modern" sounding, I'll give you that, but I think they work pretty well in a mix.

However, de gustibus non disputandum est.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The cymbals in EZD - particularly the hi-hat - sounds horrible to me. They're not too harsh, but rather too plastic, watered-down .. and they don't sing or crack up very musically. Seem to work best for songmaking, meaning jotting ideas in and tossing them around a bit. But not for live ammunition.

Try the cymbals in the EZD Nashville expansion, they are better - the drums too for that matter.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like the cymbals in EZD (talking about the stock Pop/Rock kit). If you find them too harsh, EQ them. I usually put a HPF (500Hz or so, IIRC) on them and compress a bit. If there are still some freqs you don't like, find them by sweeping through and dip them. I guess, that a small-bandwidth dip at around 4000-5000 Hz could be helpful.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk106 ➡️

Try the cymbals in the EZD Nashville expansion, they are better - the drums too for that matter.
+1 on the Nashville expansion...great sounding kit & cymbals. All you need for songwriting IMHO.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I use EZ Drummer extensively. Here are a few steps I take that make the set, especially cymbals, glue together.

1. Nebula 3 CD Soundmasters R2R tape compression emulation on the drum or master buss. This is a must. It gives you a LPF effect on the very high frequencies & flattens out the sound with tape compression.

2. I use Nebula 3 preamp emulations on the master buss & sometimes the drum buss. This also helps glue the sound together.

3. HPF on every track, but lower frequencies that you would normally use when you're eq'ing real drums. I only HPF higher freq on the overheads (100 - 300 hz)

3. Rarely boost more than 1 db, especially on the overheads, & often cut or use a LPF on the very highs.

4. 1 very short plate reverb send for most tracks for ambience & longer reverb on a select few tracks (especially snare).

5. Only use top notch compression plugs, especially good analog emulations. I have my fav's (Tracks Opto & Fiarchild, PSP Oldtimer, Stillwell Rocket, Sonalksis comp, The Glue) but you can read threads for what other people like. You will find top notch guys also rave about Waves CLA (1176, LA2a), UAD comps, & Softube FET & CL1B, There definitely are a few good compression plugs & many bad ones.

6. TRacks or other good pultec emulation on the kick 60 or 100 Hz. This helps warm up the drums & balances out the highs.

7. Use different cymbals & different velocities, and not always on the 1. Make sure the drummer never has 3 arms (e.g. hi hat,snare, and cymbal playing together and usually hi hat & cymbal never together). Program it like a real drummer would play it.

I'm a big fan of EZDrummer & Nebula & think they compliment each other very well. All songs on my link below were recorded using some or all of these techniques.

I would love to know in detail what others are doing with EZ, Superior Drummer, Slater, etc to get an analog sound.
📝 Reply