Quantcast
Exhaustive Theoretical List of All Possible Effects separated into Categories by ... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exhaustive Theoretical List of All Possible Effects separated into Categories by ...
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Exhaustive Theoretical List of All Possible Effects separated into Categories by ...

properties.

(Question)

I was thinking, what would this list look like. We have:

EQ, Reverb, Delay, Compression, Flanging, Phasing, Distortion, Gating....(more fx here)...{list to be completed}

And more importantly, if you were to classify all possible effects into a set of seed categories (as few as possible without too much ambiguity), what would these categories be and which effects would belong to each category.

EQ...would be frequency/volume non-temporal (relative to an unchanging tone)
Compression... would be volume temporal (relative to an unchanging tone)
Delay...would be additive (replicating) temporal

And let's only deal with the most fundamental of effects, so a delay that EQs the wet signal will not count as a new effect, for example.

hmm a lot of you guys should be a lot more experienced on the inner workings of fx and more capable of creating such a list, or maybe one already exists?heh
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow, just the thread title was enough to make my eyes glaze over.......I'm going to go play my bass now....
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lol
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
One time, I came up with the idea that you could categorize all smells in a way, like, well, sort of a color wheel-- similar things would be next to each other, and you could work your way around until you arrived back at the beginning. Start with vanilla, and next to it would be almond extract, and maybe next to that would be brand new motor oil, and on and on...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Everything is time-based, because that's how we perceive changes in sound.

There we go, that wasn't so difficult heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
Everything is time-based, because that's how we perceive changes in sound.

There we go, that wasn't so difficult heh
hahah yeah....hmmm

How about time-based or not, based on it's impact on a tone like I said in the OP. For example, if you apply an EQ to a tone (or any constant, unchanging sound) for X seconds, the effect will remain constant over those X seconds, of course...ignoring the fact that it would take a small amount of time for the EQ to start functioning due to the laws of physics, because that's is a mechanical thing related to the electricity of the hardware unit / computer (and all FX have it), not related to the actual intention of the effect. However with a compressor there is an attack and release (and hold) where the way the compressor alters a tone will change over time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic ➑️
hahah yeah....hmmm

How about time-based or not, based on it's impact on a tone like I said in the OP. For example, if you apply an EQ to a tone (or any constant, unchanging sound) for X seconds, the effect will remain constant over those X seconds, of course...
Yeah, I kind of skipped that bit heh

Time-based/Overlayed?

Why are we doing this again?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️

Why are we doing this again?
Because it's interesting...to...many...some...a few people...umm...yeah...a few people, that'll do heh
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➑️
One time, I came up with the idea that you could categorize all smells in a way, like, well, sort of a color wheel-- similar things would be next to each other, and you could work your way around until you arrived back at the beginning. Start with vanilla, and next to it would be almond extract, and maybe next to that would be brand new motor oil, and on and on...
YA, I had the same kind of idea, but then the walls started to melt and I could see the air!!! luv me sum LSD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
frequency based
volume based
time based

done
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound ➑️
frequency based
volume based

time based

done
Those two are the same, no?
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 2848499
In school (not implying that school matters) we learned Dynamics based or Time based.

All FX such as Delay, Reverb, Flanging, Phasing, ect. are time based.

And Compressor, EQ, Distortion/Saturation, Gating ect...are Dynamcis based. EQ is dynamics based, because you are changing the gain at specific frequencies.

I found it as an easy way to sub categorize.

Barry Rudolph, Recording Engineering Services, Recall Sheets

This is the most comprehensive list I have found.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➑️
... but then the walls started to melt and ...
Never saw any melting walls... but I did see the vines on the wallpaper come to life and start "growing" and twirling around each other. That was a trip-- especially when you're not expecting it!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
FX generally come in just two categories... whoops a daisy let's just hide that and... oooer thats nice, hi-lite it.. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➑️
Never saw any melting walls... but I did see the vines on the wallpaper come to life and start "growing" and twirling around each other. That was a trip-- especially when you're not expecting it!
Stop looking at those damn walls!! What you doing inside anyway?

Plants coming to life, I love that, anything organic that shows you it's alive. And people turning into the animals that their nature/character are best represented by, awesome
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound
frequency based
volume based

time based

done

Those two are the same, no?
for the sake of the thread i meant volume based as far as dynamics (compressors, gates) and EQ's. yes, eq's work in the volume realm as well obviously
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…