What to Look For in ADC or DAC? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to Look For in ADC or DAC?
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What to Look For in ADC or DAC?

Hi All,

I wanted to know what it is you look for when comparing ADCs or DACs? I know that often manufacturers print a lot of crap that doesn't actually give the goods but sound nice to consumers. What is the real story with these devices and how can one tell a quality unit from a model that is cutting corners despite price.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah those numbers are usually just taken from the components manufacturers data sheets and don't really represent how it sounds.

Besides fast transient response and clarity, the sound stage is how I really judge DA's especially. I want to be able to pick out every element in the music in the stereo field with accuracy. Budget DA's smear the sound stage with muddiness due to poor analog components and make mixing/mastering a crapshoot at best.

For an AD, I just want hear clear detail with tight bass and fast transients. The clearer and punchier the sound is, the better. Of course, some people would prefer the analog smoothness to disguise the intense "digital sounding" clarity. There are good AD's of both types.

That's my $.02 on that.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…