Quantcast
Organizing Background Vocal Takes - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Organizing Background Vocal Takes
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Organizing Background Vocal Takes

This has been a major pet peeve of mine for sometime.

The issue is that during tracking of background vocals and harmonies, I'll often just record several takes in a single track (thus creating several 'clips' in Sonar).

This is such a huge convenience for creativity since you can essentially just record whatever you are feeling for backgrounds simply by just doing another "take" within the same track (even if it is a completely different harmony). It eliminates the requirement of setting up another audio track and selecting another input, etc...

The problem is that editing and managing all of these f'n clips is a nightmare. When it comes to mixing, I don't really want the second and third harmonies living in the same track since it's a pain to manage track-level panning and automation, so I end up going through the painstaking task of separating them into individual tracks.

Anyone have any techniques here?
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a rnb recording templet for PT as well as Hip hop, singer/song writer, rock session etc.. All tracks are labled in the standards (my standards)for each genre. Inputs, Sends to verbs and delays are all ready. i just import the audio then record.

5x's vocal stack on the root note? Im ready
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think you're right on the money actually, it's all about the prep!

I was thinking there might be some magic solution, but you're absolutely right ...templates are key. I was just being really lazy during tracking and that caused lots of headaches during editing/mixing.

thumbsup thanks again
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigToe ➡️
I think you're right on the money actually, it's all about the prep!

I was thinking there might be some magic solution, but you're absolutely right ...templates are key. I was just being really lazy during tracking and that caused lots of headaches during editing/mixing.

thumbsup thanks again
Hey, No prob.... Welcome to Gearslutz
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…