Quantcast
mBox headphone / Output quality - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mBox headphone / Output quality
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
mBox headphone / Output quality

I was wondering if anyone here knows if the output circuit and headphone amp on the mbox2 mini is the same as on the regular mbox 2 or the mbox 2 pro.

I have a 003 rack and mixes on it sound fine through either of my monitor sets (Adam A7's and JBL LSR 2325's), but when I hook up my mini to the same system in the same room with the same session, it sounds unfocused and dull. I have the mbox to use at home for editing and lite mixing (the 003 is going to my new studio since the wife turned my old "studio" into a baby play room!!!). I dont know if the mbox 2 mini is good enogh for anything past editing, but if the regular mbox or pro has better output, I might spend the extra money. I was also thinking of picking up an 002, but I have limited space at home, not to mention prying little fingers that like to squich O's into anywhere they can go!

Thanks!
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I just replaced my Mbox 2 pro with a 003 yesterday after my Mbox died. I immediately noticed a difference in the DA section on both the main monitors and headphone outs. Dull and unfocused is what i called the mbox2pro in comparison as i heard the songs jump out a bit more. I was saving up money for converters at the time to connect to the mbox but the 003 sound is making me happier than the mbox sound. Idk maybe you could get an mbox with digital out and a used D/A then you could use it on both
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiq ➡️
Idk maybe you could get an mbox with digital out and a used D/A then you could use it on both
I was thinking of something like that. I have a ULN-2 that I could hook an mox2 up to, I just wasnt sure if I could rout the output through the ULN-2 rather then the mbox. . . .

And Im sure someone will say, "why not just ditch the mbox and use the ULN-2" . . . which I would love to do but I need to use my dongle powered DAW. Otherwise I would!
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One difference in the Digidesign LE interfaces that you could be hearing could be the power available to them–the difference between USB power, FireWire power, and AC power.

I commonly use various models of DigiDongles just with the digital I/O–I recommend using everything through your nicest D/A/monitor controller whenever possible. I don't have one but I'd guess you could use the ULN-2 box like this with either a separate laptop if you have one or in some sort of standalone mode.
📝 Reply